Sign in to follow this  
Ekaton

Delete the anachronistic radios

I've just bought the DC-6 for FSX and was quite shocked that there is no option in the menu to remove the anachronistic radios, which is very odd for me, considering that this is a vintage aircraft, not a modern one. Could someone please confirm that indeed you can't delete those?

If you can't make them disappear using the game's menu, is it perhaps possible to delete textures of those radios? I'd much prefer to have a black box with nothing on it than a Bendix radio. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ekaton said:

I've just bought the DC-6 for FSX and was quite shocked that there is no option in the menu to remove the anachronistic radios, which is very odd for me, considering that this is a vintage aircraft, not a modern one. Could someone please confirm that indeed you can't delete those?

If you can't make them disappear using the game's menu, is it perhaps possible to delete textures of those radios? I'd much prefer to have a black box with nothing on it than a Bendix radio. 

No because the old radios would not receive or transmit VHF radio signals.

Well, I don't really care about the radios as much as I care about keeping some accuracy and not having equipment such as this in my plane. 

3 minutes ago, Ekaton said:

Well, I don't really care about the radios as much as I care about keeping some accuracy and not having equipment such as this in my plane. 

Considering the DC-6 is modelled exactly off a real aircraft (including those radios), I'd say it's pretty realistic.

• Upvote 1

Well, almost all available liveries are from either the 1940s or 1950s, and yet it is not possible to have the interior feel realistic with modern Bendix radios. I am a huge fan of A2A's Stratocruiser and Constellation and while not 100% accurate, they don't force you to use modern radios. If I can't use vintage radios, I much prefer not to have them at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Ekaton said:

Well, almost all available liveries are from either the 1940s or 1950s, and yet it is not possible to have the interior feel realistic with modern Bendix radios. I am a huge fan of A2A's Stratocruiser and Constellation and while not 100% accurate, they don't force you to use modern radios. If I can't use vintage radios, I much prefer not to have them at all.

PMDG aimed to accurately model the DC-6 aircraft that they had access to which is what they've done, although I'm sure every other flying DC-6 today will also have retrofit radios. What you have to remember is that the DC-6 was primarily created for PMDG's benefit for learning about developing in X-Plane, it was only made compatible with FSX/P3D through demand for it.

Plus, if they only gave you the old radios, someone at some point would kick up a stink about the fact that the old radios don't work and they shouldn't be forced to use the new radios.

There is an option to deactivate them.

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

Just now, driver101 said:

There is an option to deactivate them.

I think you're thinking about deactivating the OLD radios. Emil wants to deactivate the NEW radios.

I understand the PMDG reasoning behind all this, but why not include a completely vintage version even if that means that some things like radios won't work?

Anyway, since there is no way to delete the radio using the in-game menu, is it possible to somewhat swap textures and make it essentially a black box instead of a radio?

EDIT: or maybe a way to deactivate it using panel.cfg or sth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ekaton said:

I understand the PMDG reasoning behind all this, but why not include a completely vintage version even if that means that some things like radios won't work?

4 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Plus, if they only gave you the old radios, someone at some point would kick up a stink about the fact that the old radios don't work and they shouldn't be forced to use the new radios.

For this reason probably ^^.

1 minute ago, Ekaton said:

Anyway, since there is no way to delete the radio using the in-game menu, is it possible to somewhat swap textures and make it essentially a black box instead of a radio?

I doubt it since the radios are hard coded panels, so all the buttons and displays will remain. Just don't switch them on?

8 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

I think you're thinking about deactivating the OLD radios. Emil wants to deactivate the NEW radios.

Yep. Looks like I missed that :-(

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

I certainly won't switch them on, but I hoped that there is a way for them to remain there, just blacked out or something, with replacement textures. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ekaton said:

I certainly won't switch them on, but I hoped that there is a way for them to remain there, just blacked out or something, with replacement textures. 

As I said because they're coded models in the VC, it's not as simple as replacing textures. The screens, buttons and knobs will all be there.

I see, it's a shame then. No way to do that through the panel config file either I guess?

16 minutes ago, Ekaton said:

I see, it's a shame then. No way to do that through the panel config file either I guess?

Nope sorry