Sign in to follow this  
Ekaton

Delete the anachronistic radios

Goodness, what have we come to?

Anyway..awesome pics Kyle. That's a beauty.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, MatzeH84 said:

simulating vintage real ops is the goal here, not flying some hangar queen which comes out only now and then.

How about real modern ops:cool:

No. :biggrin:

At least not exclusively. :happy:

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

25 minutes ago, MatzeH84 said:

No. :biggrin:

At least not exclusively. :happy:

Fair enough!

Can't argue against choices - always a good thing to have.

As awesome as This add-on looks to be, I'm going to have to pass. I don't have nearly the time to learn to fly this thing. Have fun flying it everyone! Show some pictures everyone in awhile!

As for the radios,I think it was a good design choice to model the airplane the exact same way the real is modeled....ya know....because it's the way the real one is....

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

As for the radios,I think it was a good design choice to model the airplane the exact same way the real is modeled....ya know....because it's the way the real one is....

Which real one ?

The one I fly is an SAS version with a vintage livery ?

Well - enough said - the decision has been made to replicate the exact cockpit of a DC-6 that they have acces to and I can accept this - as told in my posts - it´s a design decision we have to live with and we where not promised anything else.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

Well, I wonder how difficult it would be to actually give us a choice - best if they could delete the radio box altogether but it would be all right if they just remove the front, keep it essentially a black box. They already made a few different models with different GPS. 

I really hate that it's right in front of you, can't even move the camera elsewhere and pretend it's not there. Flying a vintage livery like it's the 1950s with sim forcing you to have modern equipment is really a step back compared to A2A's superb replicas which really allow you to feel like you're flying way back when those birds were new, or have GPS and radios instead. They really understand their customers and provide what they want. 

That is not to say that DC-6 is bad, many things like the in-game menus and the almost lifelike virtual engineer are superb, the whole plane is pretty great too, except for the cockpit. Too many things don't work, only modern cockpit is modeled, and it just looks poor compared to PMDG 777 or 737. And not because it looked poor in real life, I love birds from the era, it just doesn't feel as polished as other of your cockpits, or A2A's for that matter. I own pretty much every PMDG product, and this one I'm the most disappointed of. 

6 minutes ago, Ekaton said:

Well, I wonder how difficult it would be to actually give us a choice - best if they could delete the radio box altogether but it would be all right if they just remove the front, keep it essentially a black box. They already made a few different models with different GPS. 

I really hate that it's right in front of you, can't even move the camera elsewhere and pretend it's not there. Flying a vintage livery like it's the 1950s with sim forcing you to have modern equipment is really a step back compared to A2A's superb replicas which really allow you to feel like you're flying way back when those birds were new, or have GPS and radios instead. They really understand their customers and provide what they want. 

That is not to say that DC-6 is bad, many things like the in-game menus and the almost lifelike virtual engineer are superb, the whole plane is pretty great too, except for the cockpit. Too many things don't work, only modern cockpit is modeled, and it just looks poor compared to PMDG 777 or 737. And not because it looked poor in real life, I love birds from the era, it just doesn't feel as polished as other of your cockpits, or A2A's for that matter. I own pretty much every PMDG product, and this one I'm the most disappointed of. 

I will not say that I´m disappointed, cause the DC-6 looks great and feels great in the air (Good work from Alexander Metzger), but knowing PMDG for their normal high system depth, this seems to be held simpler than we are used from PMDG.

Comming from the A2A Airliners, I had hoped that the PMDG DC-6 would come either closer to - or even surpas A2A's systems and engine simulation, which has not happend.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

I have to disagree here.

To say it doesn't come up to A2A standards or even PMDG's own standards is not something I'm seeing.

I have the A2A Connie and the other (all) PMDG aircraft. So, I'm not just blowing smoke.

The only thing that 'doesn't work' is the legacy radio stack. This has been explained above. Everything else is modeled; down to the icing protection systems, hydraulics and fuel system. In fact, it's greatly pleasing to see that all the systems are modeled. No modern autopilot strapped on. No fuel levers that don't really do anything. You know what I mean...

I believe it is right on par with the best A2A and PMDG have to offer. Are there things I'd like to see improved in the future? Sure. We always have a wishlist.

Personally, I think the model is beautiful inside and out. I'm having a lot of fun learning an archaic and, from a modern point of view, quirky aircraft. It handles just as I expected it might. I have real time in DC-3 and Convair aircraft. These are similar to the DC-6 in terms of the wing and empennage. I love it.

I understand that PMDG doesn't need me to defend or explain for them; they do a fine job there. We're all entitled to voicing our opinion. And they're all valid within reason. I just couldn't let such statements go unchallenged.

• Upvote 2

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Actually, in any case it would be the plane that is "anachronistic", not the radios...

Wait a sec...

If you delete the new radios, and the old ones just dont work anymore how will you fly it? Just by looking at the windows? I can understand the option of flying without gps as i even do that, but without radios altogether? i dont get it. If they remove those radios you wont have ANY radio navigation equipment onboard. what will you do at night? What will you do in cloudy/foggy weather? :blink: 

Juan Ramos

2 hours ago, Ekaton said:

A2A... really understand their customers and provide what they want.

Well, yes and no.  They offer more cockpit-equipment choices (though the "modern" Connie requires the use of the default autopilot).  But they don't offer a wide range of models and often make quirky choices.  There's a good case to be made for the more powerful, longer-range 749 Constellation over the 049.  In the case of the T-6, they went with a postwar G model, although the volume of repaints suggest that a wartime D model would have been the more popular choice.  And some of us are still waiting for the Mark V Spitfire or the civilian B-17... 

Of course, I get what you're saying - I'm just pointing out that all developers make choices about what aircraft to model and how to equip it, and they're not always choices we agree with.  But given the time and effort involved in development, they have to keep themselves engaged, too.  And since we all say we want authenticity, we sometimes have to live with the consequences - like a study airplane with a hodgepodge of equipment on board.

Coming from A2A, I'm finding there are things in the DC-6 I need to get used to, like the engine-start sequence (I don't think they've modeled fuel in the primer lines a la A2A though I could be wrong).  But I'm liking the differences - like the contemporary avionics, the pax + freighter combo, and above all, Alexander's amazing FDE, which to me is head-and-shoulders above all propliners with FDE not by Alexander...

As Jimmy McGill would say, "it's all good, man..." :cool:

• Upvote 1

I thought you already got told that it wasn't going to happen? Like to beat the dead horse I see.

You obviously side stepped the lack of common courtesy to wonder in to a developers forums and trash talk them for it. Since you believe A2A is so much better, go fly A2A's aircraft. PMDG made it very clear what you were getting before the product was released and on the product page, they didn't click buy for you so it's your fault if you jumped in and clicked buy on something without actually knowing what you're getting. And asking someone to change something that you've chosen to buy is ridiculous. You wouldn't buy a car without looking inside, and then complaining to the dealer when it doesn't have sat nav.

By too many things not working I assume you mean the vintage radios only, which won't function in FSX anyway because all the navigational aids in FSX outdate the capabilities of that radio, so you literally couldn't navigate. Other than that, everything else functions.

Your entitled to your opinions, but maybe think twice before hitting post on a topic where you publicly trash talk a developer. A2As developers certainly wouldn't show that level of disrespect towards PMDG, so why should you?

• Upvote 1

A "modern cockpit"?

Somebody actually said a "modern" cockpit?

I have started the DC-6 twice, from "cold and dark".

Since then, my neck hurts from my head swiveling to look for, find and reach, items on the overhead, the rear overhead, the four "eyebrow" panels, the main panel, the front pedestal, the rear pedestal, the side pedestal and, the floor (yes, the floor, next to the F/O for the "auxiliary Hydraulic Pump Selector Valve")

My head has a sore, where I scratched so hard, looking for the "Engine Master Controls Hamilton-Standard Propeller Selector Switch"

My bi-focal lensed eyes are hurting, from reading all the items on my home-made, abreviated, check list (I thought that the one in the POH is too long), which consists of 60 items before you get to "Engine Start" 

And, "Engine Start", consists of eight steps .... for each engine ........

The AFE is now my "BFF"

"Modern Cockpit"?

Did I buy the right airplane?

Roberto

• Upvote 2

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada