Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

No longer a skeptic!

Just wanted to tell... well, anyone, because my wife is going to get annoyed really fast what with me going on and on and on... I know I'm speaking to the already converted here, but it's safe to say you have a new member among your ranks.

I took advantage of the 'Summer of Rift' sale and, after swearing for so long that I'd never be interested, ordered myself the Oculus Rift + Touch bundle. Took delivery of it yesterday, spent a bit of the evening setting it up and then a few hours playing with it.

My mind has been blown.

This thing is absolutely brilliant. I spent a loooooong time in the starter demo with the robot in the trailer, simply launching toy rockets and giggling like a child. One of my first downloads was Steam Labs and the part where you can stand on the mountain top and look all around and over the edge took my breath away. I'm not great with heights and looking down actually made my knees a little weak. I haven't tried out any full games yet, but everything I've done so far has really impressed me.

I can also see it's limitations - the resolution leaves a bit to be desired, and I may have to order up some of those prescription lens inserts since my glasses aren't really usable inside the headset - My left eye is quite near sighted and although the rift is surprisingly usable for me without glasses, my left does add a bit of blurriness that I suspect could be improved.

But limitations aside, I've quickly switched from a VR skeptic to a VR fan. The sense of immersion is incredible. I'm quite excited to load up some of my racing / driving games, perhaps dip back into Elite Dangerous or Subnautica, or give a try to some of the VR specific games available.

Anyhow... just wanted to share!

• Upvote 3

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for sharing and yes, VR really is a totally different game which you can't fully understand until you tried it for yourself.

The sensation of actual being there regardless of title rather than just watching the same title on a 2D display is nothing short of amazing!!

Keep enjoying your new toy :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

I can relate to the wife thing Jimmy, my wife doesn't think its a big deal at all. apparently she can't see in 3D, although she didn't like the tyrannosaurus rex running over her in the dreamdeck  app.

Have you done a flight sim yet? X-Plane 11 is remarkable in VR. 

No flight sims yet. Will be on my list, but my controls are all hard-mounted to a wood 'sim-pit' framework in a spot that won't allow for general standing VR use, so I'm going to have to think of a way around that.

Time for a new desk / simpit designed with VR in mind!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

18 hours ago, Jimmy RFR said:

No flight sims yet.

When you enter the cockpit in VR for the first time not be mention lift off in VR for the first time sitting inside the aircraft, now that is something for you to look forward to :biggrin: !!

I remember thinking to myself 'Oups, now I really need to make sure to get down there in one piece again since I'm now actually on the aircraft rather than watching a simulation of it on my 2D screen...' That was what it felt like.

Richard Åsberg

Mine also turned up yesterday.

Just as everyone else has stated - immersion incredible - resolution, just not there yet.

What I would recommend is 'Voice Attack' - it makes flying with Rift so much easier, especially as it has a built in microphone.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

TonyD you mentioned use of Voice Attack with the Rift.  Would you be willing to share the Voice Attach profile you use with the sim?  Are you using P3dV4?

I should receive my Rift this weekend and am really looking forward to using it with P3dV4.

Danny

Danny

Not a Flight Sim, but Lone Echo really shows what is possible using VR. Also for shooters, Space Pirate Trainer is fantastic.

@Danny

Still very much a work in progress, there are 258 defined controls for a standard keyboard - still wading through what I need (and can remember)

Also there are something like 1200 defined events from the SDK - some are really usefull (REFRESH_SCENERY)  and a lot are not.

If I can come up something that is acceptable I will post a link.

Tony

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

lI bought the rift on day 1 and I can´t conceive flight simulation without VR anymore. Yesterday I was flying from Sicily to Reggio Calabria airport ( LICR) in my CJ2 and the view from the flightdeck of the strait of messina (Italy photoreal) while landing was simply breathtaking.

Sure the resolution is not there still, but just a matter of time, meanwhile I use Oculus Tray tool and put density 1.7 which turns up your resolution pretty significantly. For instance if the default pixel density is 1.6 you need to get real close to the gauges to read them, but in 1.7 I can read most of them from my seat (Still have to move closer to read some buttons though). Also, the 1.7 is very GPU demanding. On 1.7 I could program my FCM in VR, but found easier to do it 2D after the avionics are on. You can turn the pixel density up to 2.0 but probably you need a 1080ti for that and I`m on a 980ti.

I use voiceattack too as is a fantastic tool for VR (discovered that with Elite Dangerous).

After Parking my CJ2 I use the Avatar on first person (VR) for a final check and come on, the plane is there at its real size...no words for that.

One of the firsts flights I did on VR, was a short  LEBL (Barcelona) to LEPA (Mallorca) at night, and I remember, once I parked in Mallorca, to stay inside the flightdeck, cold and dark for almost 10 minutes trying to cope with what I lived. Really I´m not coming back to 2D ever.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

5 hours ago, TonyD said:

@Danny

Still very much a work in progress, there are 258 defined controls for a standard keyboard - still wading through what I need (and can remember)

Also there are something like 1200 defined events from the SDK - some are really usefull (REFRESH_SCENERY)  and a lot are not.

If I can come up something that is acceptable I will post a link.

Tony

Thanks, Tony.  I will start working it as well and will certainly share as the profile develops.  I fly mainly helos, so having the ability to control radios, switches, etc. by voice would be very important.

Danny

Danny

Great to hear that you are enjoying VR. Just wait until you enter the cockpit in VR. Mind blowing to say the least. 

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

It IS really spectacular but not to throw in a m0nkey wrench{ Support for problems is almost non-existent. Rift support forum especially. About the only help I've founn is here at AVSIM.

I wish you all a problem free Oculus flying experience.

happy flights

Neal Howard

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

On 2017-07-26 at 9:26 AM, WebMaximus said:

When you enter the cockpit in VR for the first time not be mention lift off in VR for the first time sitting inside the aircraft, now that is something for you to look forward to :biggrin: !!

On 2017-07-27 at 11:46 PM, MikeT707 said:

Great to hear that you are enjoying VR. Just wait until you enter the cockpit in VR. Mind blowing to say the least. 

Decided to pickup Aerofly FS2 last night, so yep, now I've experienced my first flight(s)! The sense of immersion is quite wonderful for sure - it's amazing to simply look around while you're in the air. Being rather new to VR, I do find I have to be a bit careful in flight as I finding I'm a bit sensitive to motion sickness. I managed to fly a bit of aerobatics in the Pitts, but I sure can't do it for very long! The sense of speed is incredible too - hugging the ground in the F-15 is mind blowing. Oh.... and the sense of immersion that the HUD lends in both the F-15 and the F-18 is pretty amazing as well!

In regards to other games, Space Pirate Trainer is an absolute blast (pun intended) to play, and one of my other early favorites is Eleven Table Tennis, of all things!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.