Sign in to follow this  
strider1

Rendering options and Water color replacement !

Agree, the new water colors look great!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Well, the solution is like a big hammer for some tiny nails ....

The thing is, that we introduced in XP11 the new feature to have a relatively detailed option to customize water color regionally around the whole planet. The many files in the folder:

• /data2/X-Plane_11/Resources/bitmaps/world/water/

... are not for fun, but are geographic regions (10x10 degree areas covered by 2048x2048 pixels) with raster maps allowing to customize the water color around a 500m resolution. Of course, the default water color textures might not be perfect (but they are derived from official "Blue Marble NG"  satellite imagery ... so they should be quite accurate), but instead of replacing them globally with one(!) color, it might be more interesting to tweak these (and get regionally correct colors). The feature is now - finally - here ...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alpilotx said:

Well, the solution is like a big hammer for some tiny nails ....

The thing is, that we introduced in XP11 the new feature to have a relatively detailed option to customize water color regionally around the whole planet. The many files in the folder:

• /data2/X-Plane_11/Resources/bitmaps/world/water/

... are not for fun, but are geographic regions (10x10 degree areas covered by 2048x2048 pixels) with raster maps allowing to customize the water color around a 500m resolution. Of course, the default water color textures might not be perfect (but they are derived from official "Blue Marble NG"  satellite imagery ... so they should be quite accurate), but instead of replacing them globally with one(!) color, it might be more interesting to tweak these (and get regionally correct colors). The feature is now - finally - here ...

I'm running the latest public version (11.02r2 build 110202) and I'm not seeing these new water colors. I ran some quick tests at Marathon Florida Keys, Treasure Cay Bahamas, and it's the same color I see up in the Pacific Northwest.

There is a "Resources/bitmaps/world/water" folder, but just one file there named "any.png" with a solid black color.

Are you using a newer internal version? Or did I miss it somewhere. Either way, the water still looks the same color everywhere.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hmmm ... have to admit: possibly this hasn't be released until now. Strange. I was under the impression, that Ben already released the water color data.

And yes, I definitely hat the re-cut water color files from Ben (he just re-sliced the raw data I created for him) ... but was under the impression that its also available in the official version too.

Then sorry ... but nevertheless .... the feature is already in :cool: ... "only" the data might then be missing.

Okay, well please give Ben a poke about this. :happy:  It's been a badly-needed feature for years, as the temporary measure above shows.

I grew up in Miami and spent a lot of time down in the Keys. I know we're not at a point yet where discrete features like reefs and shallow water sand outlines can be modeled, but an improvement in just the color of the water in different parts of the world would be helpful.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Then sorry ... but nevertheless .... the feature is already in :cool: ... "only" the data might then be missing.

Well, If I remember correctly X-Plane 11 did download such data, but I don´t know it the data is wrong or if the water code at the moment simply doesn´t use these data. It would be at least a very usefull addition for 11.10 .

I think it's just missing data, since Andres mentioned "many files" in that folder, and there's just the one blank .png file in the current public/beta version of XP.

3 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Hmmm ... have to admit: possibly this hasn't be released until now. Strange. I was under the impression, that Ben already released the water color data.

And yes, I definitely hat the re-cut water color files from Ben (he just re-sliced the raw data I created for him) ... but was under the impression that its also available in the official version too.

Do you know what the status is with the 3d water ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

12 hours ago, strider1 said:

Do you know what the status is with the 3d water ?

No, I do not know that ... sorry.

(and no answer until now on the water color question to Ben ... yeah, he usually get hundreds of mail per day ... thus, sometimes he needs some time to answer).

Thanks for checking in with Ben, Andras. Looking forward to the answer. Maybe you could give us a teaser or two in the meantime:wink:

@alpilotx as you are currently active here and HD Mesh v4 is on the horizon... have you heard anything from Ben, Andras? Since it has been a few months. Otherwise maybe we should try and bug him on the dev blog about it ;)

Well, Ben has got an updated set of water colors (I sent him a few months ago) sitting somewhere on his desk (or in the dust paper bin). And he liked the screenshots I sent him along with them .... but ever since I haven't heard back from him on this topic. So quite likely it is an inactive story for him at the moment ... But he might get back to it any time (and then would need to fix a few bugs first, as the new water colors also made a few shader bugs visible).

And please do not bug him on his blog. Its usually not very friendly to annoy him with off topic questions / requests on his posts.

2 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Well, Ben has got an updated set of water colors (I sent him a few months ago) sitting somewhere on his desk (or in the dust paper bin). And he liked the screenshots I sent him along with them .... but ever since I haven't heard back from him on this topic. So quite likely it is an inactive story for him at the moment ... But he might get back to it any time (and then would need to fix a few bugs first, as the new water colors also made a few shader bugs visible).

And please do not bug him on his blog. Its usually not very friendly to annoy him with off topic questions / requests on his posts.

Of course you know polar opposite is going to happen now ! lol......

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar