Sign in to follow this  
Rhinozherous

Intermediate power setting

I trie to fiddle out the best intermediate power settings for climb, cruise, desc. If I dont want to go trough all charts I search for an "fits almost everytime" setting... without destroying the bird.

Which one is your main measurement for setting power? BMEP or Manifold Pressure?

What are your settings? 

Thanks!

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

35 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

I trie to fiddle out the best intermediate power settings for climb, cruise, desc. If I dont want to go trough all charts I search for an "fits almost everytime" setting... without destroying the bird.

"Fits almost everything" and you don't want to go through all of the charts? In that case, just use the AFE and let him handle it if you don't want to expend the extra efforts of digging in. That's no slight on you, really - it's partially what the AFE is for.

36 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

Which one is your main measurement for setting power? BMEP or Manifold Pressure?

I use MAP, confirmed by BMEP. The only time I use BMEP as the primary is in the descent if I need to pull the engines back further. BMEP being above 60 (the lower limit of the gauge) helps to ensure that the props are providing positive thrust, and you aren't backloading the engine (prop driving the engine).

I defer to any of the more experienced radial drivers, but the above is my own operation.

Kyle Rodgers

I want to dive in, but for my first few flights I search for an Powersetting that just works. Until I understand all the charts completely. (I need my time for this :-P )

The AFE by the way is awesome! As you say, it gets me up in the air ten times faster then I was with the other PMDG beautys.

Thank you!

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

3 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

If I dont want to go trough all charts 

What are your settings? 

Thanks!

There are only four charts you need to look at.

#1  take-off     WET or DRY chart

#2  METO

#3  CLIMB

#4  CRUISE

Must quicker than finding out the best setting your self!

10 minutes ago, RonnieDuck said:

There are only four charts you need to look at.

#1  take-off     WET or DRY chart

#2  METO

#3  CLIMB

#4  CRUISE

Must quicker than finding out the best setting your self!

Thank you!

I just had a closer look into the charts, they are not that complicated as I thought. I am able to use it now... Only the Power Curve is still a miracle for me.

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Most common I use: MAP/RPM/BMEP for standard conditions and altitudes

TO dry 53/2800/197 --- alternative TO setting from the RedBull plane

METO 46.5/2600/196

max CLB 42/2600/174

crz CLB 39/2400/177

CRZ 1100 HP 34/2000/155 in AutoRich --- varying MAP to keep 155

DES 23/2000/90 with a lowest 21/2000/80 

• Upvote 2

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

35 minutes ago, metzgergva said:

crz CLB 39/2400/177

BMEP should be arround 120 isn't it?

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you guys get your cruise altitude... Do you look for speed or fuel consumption or maybe weather?

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

12 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you guys get your cruise altitude... Do you look for speed or fuel consumption or maybe weather?

PFPX :)

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

1 hour ago, Olympic260 said:

PFPX :)

Ah I see :-) 

I dont have PFPX. I stick with Active Sky Weather Briefing and my own humble quessing. 

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Rhinozherous said:

Short answer: yes.

I usually go for an altitude that's as close to 8000 as possible, dependent on the other factors. Considering burn alone, that's about the most efficient altitude. Higher wind can be found at higher altitudes, though, so if it's a strong tailwind, then you might as well go higher if it's a longer flight. The burn isn't as good, but if you have a 50 knot tailwind, it can easily make up for it. Additionally, one must consider min altitudes along the route. You aren't going to get through the Rocky Mountains at 8000, for example. Weather isn't so much altitude-related, as it's routing-related. You can climb above some of the summer bumpiness, or simple rain storms (though in this case, unless it's cold and ice is a risk, why?), but it's not like you're going to climb over convective storms, or a squall line.

Kyle Rodgers

5 hours ago, RonnieDuck said:

BMEP should be arround 120 isn't it?

It should be as I said. This is Cruise Climb, so you need more power that cruise which is 155. You get there by setting AR and increase MAP and RPM.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

For the AFE it would be a nice feature of one could preselect a desired cruise rating.. 1000hp, 1200hp, etc.. just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team