Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

Trees on the taxiway: Need Help!

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi folks,what to do in this case?I found trees on the taxiways at two different addon airports :-(I have installed them as per included instructions but...Can anyone experienced please help me to get rid of those objects?thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)Bangkok Donmuang Airport & City SiamAvsimhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141966.jpgKuala Lumpur Intl. J. Gultomhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141967.jpg

Commonly, there is landclass texture defined in an area and the texture has autogen tress or buildings assigned to it. What MS did in the default airports was to create a texture polygon under the airport area. This polygon has two good features: it provides a neutral design (such as grass or dirt), and it prevents the autogen from being created. These polygons are called airport skirtings or airport backgrounds and aer contained in sceenry files athat begin with the letters "AB" in the default regional scenery folders.When an addon airport is installed, it may be that part of the new airport is no longer sitting on the default airport background polygon. This can happen, for example, if some one modifies an aiport (moving runways or taxiways around) with the AFCAD program and distributes it.The simplist method is to remove the autogen through the use of an "exclude". An easy, visual tool is excbuilder2. You can slew your airplane in the sim to obtain the coordinates for an exclude rectangle. (Don't make it too big or you may eliminate desired sceerny such as terminals.) You can create more than one rectangle as necessary. An alternative is to use a text exclude command in scenery.cfg.Rather than do this, I prefer to use a terrain design tool to modify the airport background polygon. This way I can ensure that the correct texture is being used, in addition to excluding the objects. This requires a little more knowledge but you might find it worth it if you ar interested in scenery design at all.One other caution: the default airport background polygons are normally the same size and shape as the required mesh flattening polygons. So, if the addon airport has elements which go beyond the default polygon chances are that the mesh could cause problems as well, such as hills on a taxi or runway. In this case it is necessary to create the necessary flatten polygon -- several design tools allow this, and it is possible to create one by adding a flatten text line to the scenery.cfg file without using any tool. Edit: I should add that sometimes (more commonly in older versions of FS) there is a readme for addon airports, which contains the necessary Exclude and Flatten lines for scenery.cfg. You would normally copy and paste these lines into the scenery area that you (or an installer) created within scenery.cfg. here is a real example, from the simflyers KLAS airport addon:[Area.135]Title=Las Vegas McCarran Intl. (KLAS) by SimFlyersLocal=SimFlyersKLASRemote=Required=FALSEActive=TRUELayer=135Exclude=N36 06 03,W115 10 22,N36 04 08,W115 07 02,allFlatten.0=2181.1,N36 06.17,W115 10.51,N36 06.17,W115 06.95,N36 04.06,W115 06.95,N36 04.06,W115 10.51scott s..

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Scott,>The simplist method is to remove the autogen through the use>of an "exclude". An easy, visual tool is excbuilder2. You>can slew your airplane in the sim to obtain the coordinates>for an exclude rectangle. (Don't make it too big or you may>eliminate desired sceerny such as terminals.) You can create>more than one rectangle as necessary.i have tried exclbuilder2+bglcomp.exe and generated 4 exclude files for several trees, checking LIBRARY OBJECTS checkbox.after that i restarted FS9 and with great disappointment i could notice that trees were at same place as before.should i change exclude options?what to do to get rid of those autogen trees (setting autogen OFF all trees disappears!)thanks a lot for helpingLuigi ;-)

The trees stayed because Autogen isn't considered "Library Objects" as ExcBuilder defines it. It's been a long time since I used ExcBuilder but I do not think that you can use it to exclude Autogen.What you need to do as scott said is put down a texture polygon there, and that will chop down the trees. That or change the landclass. But then that would change more than you want. Airport background polygon is what you want.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest dogknot

Luigi, As long as you keep your selected rectangle(s) to a controlled size, you can safely use/select "all objects" in esclbuilder2. Always remember to start your exclude rectangle at the Northwest corner. The second coordinates will be taken at the Southeast corner. Once in position during slew mode (1. nw corner), always hit the space bar to orient the aircraft to North before making your first coord placement or the program will not work correctly. Then do the same for the southeast corner, orient your aircraft north with spacebar before making coord placement. Give it another try, Luigi and see how it goes. Good Luck!EDIT: from the tutorial-- NOTES: This program creates excludes that remove autogen objects only. It will not remove objects that are a part of any addon scenery.

>Hi folks,>what to do in this case?>I found trees on the taxiways at two different addon airports>:-(>I have installed them as per included instructions but...>Can anyone experienced please help me to get rid of those>objects?I was the original designer for much of the scenery in the siamavsim version, so I think I can shed some light here. Some background: The scenery was released over two years ago, and was extensively tested without this problem occuring. Over 16000 people have downloaded it from Avsim, without any complaints, until last Summer, when I received a notice about the trees. Since then I've received another 2 emails about this, but I have also noticed that there has been discussion in the forums, so I'm sure that it affects other people as well. I used the exact same techiniques in the Bangkok scenery as in other scenery, but for some reason only the Bangkok scenery is affected.The thing to keep in mind, is that despite what some people have suggested, the scenery is complete - all the files necessary are included. The autogen is normally surpressed by the airport "masking", i.e., the grassy area around the airport. For some reason, on very few computers, this masking does not show. I have no explanation for this, and I have never been able to duplicate it on any of my machines.I had a couple theories, the first being to blame the user, since he probably didn't install it properly. I get occaisional emails from people who don't know how to install scenery, and my pet peeve is people who install it into the common addon/scenery folder, since then I have no control over what other files may be deleting parts of my scenery, etc. However, in this case, I do not believe this to be the case.So, for some reason the airport masking is not being displayed, with the result that the autogen is showing through. One suggestion was that this had something to do with the mesh, and that it could be solved by making the scenery a higher priority than the mesh, but I doubt this would effect it. I also wonder about the naming schema I used, or whether people are using a different language version of windows that would somehow effect it. Anyway, a do-it-yourself solution would be to create your own airport masking using Ground2K (or whatever). I probably try this myself, if I can get the time. However, since I will be using the same tools to create the new airport masking as the old one, I am unsure about whether this will be successful or not, and it still doesn't answer the question of why that polygon doesn't show up.- MartinSome examples that people sent to me...

I had this same problem.The Terr config file was corrupted. I had to re-install, but it fixed the problem.

Guest lalo lolo1

So my question is how to flatten. I see there are 4 coordinates, which of course are the points of the square, but at the beggining there's a 2181 for KLAS. What is that 2181?Thanks,Leo

I don't know how to flatten. Another simmer showed me his config file. Mine had lost much of the information needed. The re-install solved the problem. I do not believe that flattening is going to solve your problem. I don't have trees in any of the airports anymore. Check a number of your smaller airports. They are particularly susceptible to this problem.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Brent,>EDIT: from the tutorial-- NOTES: This program creates>excludes that remove autogen objects only. It will not remove>objects that are a part of any addon scenery. i did another attempt in the afternoon and, after "all object" option checked, i created an exclude file for both VTBD and WKMM; i have decided to create one single file for each airport as large as the entire airport extent.the result?all autogen trees have disappeared and all other kind of object are at their place.thank you very much for suggestion.Luigi ;-)

Hi,2181 is the altitude in feet.Here is a description. It's for FS98, but it still works the same:http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...neryobjects.aspHope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Hi there,If anyone is still having problems with my Bangkok scenery tree problem, please send me an email and I'll send you a few files that "might" fix your problem. I'm just guessing what the problem might be, since so few people have reported it and I'm unable to duplicate it, but I "might" have a soultion.- Martinmartinstrong(at)martinstrong(dot)com