I recently had the opportunity to go in the flight deck of a Delta Boeing 747-400 (delta museum). The flight deck seemed quite a bit smaller than pictures and simulations made it out to be. So my question is what would be a good zoom setting to give me a fairly accurate pilot's perspective? I use P3D v3 and will soon get v4. Thanks.

I believe recommended zoom level is 0.7. I use that for C and FO views, and 0.9 for overhead and pedestal.

1 hour ago, eaglewarrior72583 said:

I recently had the opportunity to go in the flight deck of a Delta Boeing 747-400 (delta museum). The flight deck seemed quite a bit smaller than pictures and simulations made it out to be. So my question is what would be a good zoom setting to give me a fairly accurate pilot's perspective? I use P3D v3 and will soon get v4. Thanks.

Zoom 1.0 will be the most realistic, as far as perspective is concerned. All the same, it then looks like you're viewing the plane through a window frame, or picture frame. Zooming back out to about a minimum of 0.7 is reasonable without getting too much fisheye distortion. I usually use 0.8 to 0.9, and back it out to 0.7 in critical flight phases where I need to simulate having better peripheral vision.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

Interesting, I've been wondering about this.

Cheers,

I do about the same as Kyle, I consider the zoom a measure of my scan width.  During preflight and taxi my scan is all over the place and I use 0.7, routine flight is 0.8 and an IMC approach might be .9... where my scan is intense and limited to flight instruments for the most part.

Dan Downs KCRP

29 minutes ago, eaglewarrior72583 said:

Kyle, would 1 work with a triple monitor setup? 

The problem is, you'll have great panoramic vision, but your vertical vision is still limited.

I use .8 with Track IR on a 50in 4k TV. Works well for all phases of flight. 

Eric 

1 hour ago, PMDG777 said:

The problem is, you'll have great panoramic vision, but your vertical vision is still limited.

I suppose that depends on how you arrange the three monitors :-)

11 minutes ago, icemarkom said:

I suppose that depends on how you arrange the three monitors :-)

True you could stack them vertically, or have three portrait orientated monitors. Or go all out and buy projectors for panoramic vision ;)

2 hours ago, eaglewarrior72583 said:

Kyle, would 1 work with a triple monitor setup? 

I use zoom 1 with 3 24" monitors (5760x1080)

I just set eyepoint back to make it usable