Sign in to follow this  
Viking01

CTD upon touchdown

3 hours ago, r_stopnicki said:

I really (really) hope I am not jinxing myself with this post!!

I have tried, quite a few times this weekend, to replicate the CTD's that I had since the last update for the DC-6.

I have been unable to!

I returned to all the airports, their gates and taxi routes that "guaranteed" a CTD ... and nothing happened.

I just tried the LEBB-osition 13-taxi to RWY 30 (I also have ORBX Base Pack) and managed without an issue.

I know it just adds to the mystery, because I have not done anything to my computer (other than turning it on and off) in the last couple of weeks.

Hoping that this continues for me and that it is "contagious", I post it.

Roberto

Same, I haven't had a CTD for many days now. Although I have to admit I completely disabled GSX when using the DC-6, I don't know if that matters.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

About the only thing I HAVEN'T seen mentioned on this thread...

Just throwing something out there...overclocking? Okay, no tomatoes thrown at me, please. I've seen some really weird stuff with overclocking, even when my system was stable doing ANYTHING, except running P3D and the 8 million addons many of us run would occasionally CTD. Kept dialing back my OC, and now almost never see CTD.

Admittedly, I don't own the DC-6, but sometimes it takes an outsider to see the light...probably not in this case, but who knows.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

3 minutes ago, somiller said:

About the only thing I HAVEN'T seen mentioned on this thread...

Just throwing something out there...overclocking? Okay, no tomatoes thrown at me, please. I've seen some really weird stuff with overclocking, even when my system was stable doing ANYTHING, except running P3D and the 8 million addons many of us run would occasionally CTD. Kept dialing back my OC, and now almost never see CTD.

Admittedly, I don't own the DC-6, but sometimes it takes an outsider to see the light...probably not in this case, but who knows.

My PC isn't OC'd, nor do I use HT.

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Well, so much for that idea...lol

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Same here! Nice thought though!

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

My experience this last weekend, suggests this problem may be related to sound settings. At least for me it was.

Never had the CTD problem until last Saturday. So what suddenly caused it? Well last Friday I finally relented and let Microsoft push the Creators Update to my machine :angry:. All apparently went well with the update, until I decided to relax a bit on Sat evening and fly the DC6 from Swakopmund in Namibia to Cape Town.

First issue was that, with the update, my PF3 ATC required reactivation, so I switched back to default ATC (activated pilot voice and turned up voice volume setting in P3Dv4 settings, after penning an email off to the PF3 developer). Then I set off, or tried to! Three out of three times on taxing out, I CTD'd to desktop, twice with a fairly long pause before exit, which left error messages that showed the faulting module to be api.dll. That's systems level and the air turned blue with cursing MS updates! End of Saturday evening flying.

Come Sunday I set about trying to solve the issue. First with the MS update, my sound settings had been changed at system level. I always disable the Nvidia driver sound devices, as I use my onboard Mobo Realtek device to drive my 5:1 surround sound system. The update had enabled these - so set them back to disabled. Also in P3D settings, the sound devices were reset to "Default Sound Device", so I set them definitively to "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)" for play back devices and "Microphone (Realek High Definition Audio)" for Voice Capture Device, under General-Sound settings in Options. To somewhat muddy the waters a bit, Dave March at Oncourse Software had responded within an hour (service :biggrin:) resetting my PF3 activations, so I was able to deactivate default ATC again (Under Options- Information, bottom left panel, all 3 Air Traffic Control boxes unticked and under Options - Sound Volume Levels, Voice slider all the way to the left.)

Then first test was a short flight around the Swakopmund area, not using any ATC, and no external weather program. Used the AFE to help control settings while I hand flew. Taxi out no problems, flawless flight, back to land and taxi to parking. For those who do not know Swakopmund airfield, both taxi-in and taxi-out are on rough, sand-gravel taxiways, plenty of bouncing around that could induce CTDs if they were related in any way to the model dynamics reacting to taxiway roughness, or using a non-default airport model.

After refueling, flight planning, starting up AS weather, and starting up PF3, I filed my flight plan to Cape Town, and got going again (using AFE to do pre-start, after start, before takeoff and takeoff ops). This time I deliberately chose another taxiway just in case I had got lucky in the first test  (long dust strip to RW24). No CTD on taxi out, flawless Sunday flight down the Atlantic coast to land without CTD at Cape Town International (another un-optimised for P3Dv4 addon airport), taxied to parking and shutdown. Left P3D running in Spot view to watch the sun-set over Cape Town, just to stir up the heart strings ("ernstig heimwee", seriously homesick!).

So 2 out of 2 taxi outs and landings with no CTDs, by fixing up my sound settings and changing my ATC settings. Which is the more relevant I have not had time to test (like switch default ATC back on to see if that is playing a role). My suggestion to those having this problem would be to;

A) go through your sound settings both at system level and within the sim with a fine toothcomb.

B) in the event it is a conflict with default ATC (maybe the AFE voice conflicting with ATC pilot voice, who knows?), just maybe try to disable and not use default ATC at all - see if that lets you "get up in the air". Of course, if you are already using a non-default ATC program, this will not apply.

My 2c on this rather complex issue, in the hope this helps the afflicted get this great plane off the ground.

Rob

Forgot: Coutal and GSX were active throughout, but not used. With the DC6 I always park to avoid any pushback, as they did in the "old days"

Edited by geolpilot
To advise GSX was active

Robin Harris

Thanks for your thoughts!

I had also thought about sound being the problem, as some of the error logs showed remarks about missing sounds and because I noticed that the AFE sometimes doesn't speak, you just see the written commands. On the next flight he would call them out again....

But the suggestions you made had been followed before on my part: ATC set to "0" (no other ATC program running), sound settings tried out etc., but nevertheless I get a CTD on 9 out of 10 attempts to fly. 

I will, however, disconnect my Logitech sound device completely, see if that makes a difference.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

I have the same feeling but could not substantiate it. I only have CTDs flying the DC-6 in P3Dv4. So the fact that we are using 64 drivers/system must play a role in this. I will look into my drivers option, but I'm using USB connected speakers and have "windows default devices" in the sound selection menu. Gonna play with it.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

I also wouldn't be surprised when it is sound related. I just tried 5 times in a row to takeoff from LOWI -08 and every single time being close to the runway when I throttled back during the taxi, I had the very long pause followed by a CTD. Happens when I use the throttle and also when I use F1.

Would it be worth to replace the soundset by a default one.. just for testing ?

happy flying

Dick Romeo

if you use orbx beta,then it is maybee this..........

my dc6 never crash,if i fly without orbx airports,but it crash also if i use other planes with this beta......

cheers

Ralf

Ralf Scholten EDDL

I no longer use the AFE. Maybe that's the reason I didn't faced a CTD during the last flights...

Cheers,
Michael

Aorus Master z390 / i9 9900KS / GTX 1070@2.1 / 32 GB Ram / all watercooled

13 minutes ago, banjoman1960 said:

if you use orbx beta,then it is maybee this..........

my dc6 never crash,if i fly without orbx airports,but it crash also if i use other planes with this beta......

cheers

Ralf

I fly over Orbx land but am not using the beta and still CTD on landing

Jack Sawyer

Unfortunately, the CTD's have reappeared. :-(

While we are all trying a very large (and now confusing) number of possible causes, I think that the issue is actually very simple.

I have, exclusively, PMDG products. I have tried all them (yes, even 747's on dirt runways) and never had a CTD on any airport or flight.

I didn't have any issues with the DC-6 either, until the last update.

As a result, it seems to me that an inadvertent "gremlin" coding conflict was likely introduced with the last update of the DC-6 and that PMDG, will eventually find it and let us know what to do.

(Remember the FSUIPC5 issue at the start of P3Dv4? Something like that)

But, yes, it is somewhat frustrating.

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

My Dc-6 starts up with engines running.. If I do not touch the AFE or the ramp manager / aircraft state menu I make it to the runway no problem

In my case 3 things are consistently present when I CTD

1- previous use of AFE and/or ramp manager use / aircraft state

2- Vicinity of runway

3- throttling back on power..

happy flying

Dick Romeo

Hello, all. Just a status update.

I've been following this topic with interest. (I'm subscribed to it, and I'm notified about every reply. I read each thoroughly.)

So far here's what we know:

1. It's related to sounds.
  2. It's not related to sounds.
  3. It's based on using the AFE.
  4. The AFE has nothing to do with it.
  5. It's related to the latest update.
  6. It's unrelated to the latest update.
  7. It involves addon ____.
  8. I don't have addon ____ and I still get it.
  9. Overclocking, hyperthreading, etc.
  10. <grin>

There's definitely some black humor to be found here, and let's face it, if you can't read all 11 pages of this thread and not laugh a little, you'll truly go mad.

In all seriousness, I have only one concrete idea so far. My idea is a bit of a "hail mary" and frankly, internally we don't even all agree that it matters. But I built the P3Dv4 DLLs with the P3D SDK that was current at the time (21434, I think). But P3Dv4 (sim and SDK) is currently 21686. Maybe -- just maybe -- there is some veeeeerrrrry subtle SDK difference that can cause a CTD when very particular preconditions are met. (Note that we don't actually know the preconditions yet -- to date I have still been unable to crash the sim even once, and I've really tried.)

I'm going to look into making this update and seeing if it makes any difference at all. More soon.

Regards,
Chris

• Upvote 1

Chris Powell

Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg