Sign in to follow this  
Viking01

CTD upon touchdown

Great post Chris!

Good to know you are "on it".

I am not a coder or programmer, but I am sure that those "veeeeerrrrry subtle" differences are the ones that cause some gray hair to appear (or totally disappear!!)

As I like to say, this, too, shall pass.

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

I just had a successful flight after following the F.A.Q. at PMDG

the sim ran like a charm

1. Make certain your PMDG product is the only airplane that P3D loads into memory.

2. Be sure to get the latest version of your PMDG product by downloading from your PMDG user account.

3. Make certain you have all of the older simconnect versions installed. There are 4

4. Turn off and ignore "Error Logging" in P3D. THERE 2 ERROR LOGGING TYPES BOTH SHOULD BE SHUT OFF 

https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a112/important-and-nearly-foolproof-steps-to-running-your-pmdg-product-in-prepar3d-v3.aspx

I hope this wasn't just a 1 in 10 flight but it seemed to run a whole lot better

now all I have to do is figure out the fuel system :ha:

Rick

I hate to rain on your parade (LOL!) ... but my system has run the DC-6 exactly as described above and I still had dozens of CTDs :-(

Good advice, nevertheless.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

No more CTDs from my last message here, I started a new flight with the DC6 and saved the flight in cold&dark. I don't know if it was the trick, but just letting you know. Waiting for the new library from Chris. 

Claudio Rampini

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

11 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

I hate to rain on your parade (LOL!) ... but my system has run the DC-6 exactly as described above and I still had dozens of CTDs :-(

Good advice, nevertheless.

Adam.

You say had.....did you fix it?.....if so what did you do

I also made sure that the visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015 are installed both X86, and X64 I'm no expert but another addon I have would crash until I had the right visual C++ installed

some addons will install their own version of those programs and will have a different version number

Non the less before I did this I couldn't taxi out sometimes, and it would always CTD right after the wheels touched

It now is running way better, and another addon that I was having trouble with is running like a champ :biggrin:

Rick

4 minutes ago, Captthud said:

You say had.....did you fix it?.....if so what did you do

I also made sure that the visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015 are installed both X86, and X64 I'm no expert but another addon I have would crash until I had the right visual C++ installed

some addons will install their own version of those programs and will have a different version number

Non the less before I did this I couldn't taxi out sometimes, and it would always CTD right after the wheels touched

It now is running way better, and another addon that I was having trouble with is running like a champ :biggrin:

Rick

@rick ...

I haven't had them for a while ... but then got two today - at exactly the spot where I've had them before and where it's been OK for a good few days. If there is a pattern, I can't work it out at all.

I've never had a CTD on touchdown - only when taxiing.

Adam.

6 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

@rick ...

I haven't had them for a while ... but then got two today - at exactly the spot where I've had them before and where it's been OK for a good few days. If there is a pattern, I can't work it out at all.

I've never had a CTD on touchdown - only when taxiing.

Adam.

I think that is exactly the problem: one day you have a CTD on every attempt and the next day you can complete a couple of flights in a row without incident and without any changes to your system. 

So I agree, if there is a pattern I can't figure it out either.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

yesterday was the first flight of around 10 where it went start to finish if it didn't crash while I was taxiing out it would take off and fly all the way till the wheels touched the ground then CTD

very frustrating

I will be taking her around the patch again tonight we'll see what happens.....maybe 2 in a row 

Rick

OK, pardon my frustration but there is a problem here that needs to be fixed.....PMDG

There are TWELVE forum pages documenting this problem.   Please do not blame P3D or a specific combination of addons.  Your 737 and 777 products as well as the new Aerosoft CRJ  work fine in the exact same P3dV4 and 3rd party addon environment on my system.  The DC6B has a problem that needs to be fixed.

I spent forty years in commercial application development where this problem would be classified as a severity one application fault and everyone would be in a war room until it was solved. Would it be inappropriate to ask the PMDG DC6 project manager to give us an update of what is being done to rectify this issue?  

I just had four consecutive P3D crashes during initial taxi while turning off additional addons for each try,  Exceedingly frustrating!   

PMDG please take a leadership role and provide us with a list of files/logs or whatever that we could provide to assist in an organized debug effort?  Everyone here would be glad to assist, however coordinated PMDG direction and leadership of this effort is required

• Upvote 3

Parker Freeman - KTPA
i7 8700k@4.8, Asus Maximus X, Nvidia 1080TI, Win 10 , Saitek X65

8 hours ago, gypsyczar said:

OK, pardon my frustration but there is a problem here that needs to be fixed.....PMDG

There are TWELVE forum pages documenting this problem.   Please do not blame P3D or a specific combination of addons.  Your 737 and 777 products as well as the new Aerosoft CRJ  work fine in the exact same P3dV4 and 3rd party addon environment on my system.  The DC6B has a problem that needs to be fixed.

I spent forty years in commercial application development where this problem would be classified as a severity one application fault and everyone would be in a war room until it was solved. Would it be inappropriate to ask the PMDG DC6 project manager to give us an update of what is being done to rectify this issue?  

I just had four consecutive P3D crashes during initial taxi while turning off additional addons for each try,  Exceedingly frustrating!   

PMDG please take a leadership role and provide us with a list of files/logs or whatever that we could provide to assist in an organized debug effort?  Everyone here would be glad to assist, however coordinated PMDG direction and leadership of this effort is required

Hi, Parker. DC-6 project manager here. Would it be inappropriate to ask for an update? Not at all - see my earlier posts in this thread:

I get your frustration, I really do. I think you'll find, after careful perusal of the thread, that there is no concrete information behind the cause of this issue. Three fellows will offer what seems like a tantalizing hint or clue -- couatl, sound, scenery X, addon Y -- only to have a fourth person say "nope, that doesn't apply to me." We have yet to identify a single common thing shared among the subset of pilots who are experiencing the issue. That makes for some very frustrating debugging, especially when yours truly cannot reproduce the crash even once.

We're going to try the 'hail mary' described in my second post, and if that is fruitless then it's going to be time for a comprehensive survey of gear, addons, preferences and drivers.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Powell

Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg

If I can offer a further 2c worth here ...

I've beta-tested for a fair few sim products over the years, so I'm pretty familiar with the joys and frustrations of the process. I have two suggestions:

1) Include a patch that contains better debug code that can be released to [public] users, in order to create comprehensive crash logs and gather more information.

2) Since no-one appears to be able to reproduce the problem in-house, invite or co-opt some of the more consistently affected users to the beta team, albeit in maybe a limited way.

I currently use OPUS, PTA and Chaseplane - all of which are "in a state of flux", but feedback is gathered via crash logs (which are sometimes sent automatically). Though issues continue, there's a bit of a "feelgood factor" as we [consumers] feel our problems are helping to move the product forward. Frequent updates help to keep us in the picture.

I know it's unfair to compare the nature and complexity of a typical PMDG add-on with entirely different products but, IMHO, the principle is the same. Whilst I've been relatively patient with the DC-6 so far, I'm now beginning to avoid the damn' thing since my CTDs have returned with a vengeance. This is *not* good.

Adam.

In an effort to get to the root of the DC-6 CTD issue, I'd like affected folks to work directly with me on a series of test builds to see if we can cure the crash. If you're a community member who's noted repeated, reproducible CTD issues with the plane, you're a logical participant in this testing. If you're interested, agreeable and patient, please email me directly at cbpowell@precisionmanuals.com and I'll supply you with a drop-in replacement DC-6 dll to try.

No new features or unrelated fixes will be incorporated, of course. This will focus strictly on the crashing behavior.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Powell

Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg

Count me in (confirmed via email)! I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can. The DC-6 is a beaut - and doesn't deserve this degree of "bad press"!

Adam.

Great! Unfortunately, I am away from my computer for at least two weeks, so I would be happy to help but it is impossible.

Good luck!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Count me in as well this an awesome plane like all of PMDG's work and I'd like to help if I can

I've flown it 4 times now since since following the F.A.Q. at PMDG 3 successful, 1 CTD.....for now I'm chocking the 1 CTD up to the occasional CTD that we all experience from time to time.....I don't have a lot of them but it's the nature of the beast.....3 out of 4 so far ain't bad, I'm confident that the next flight will be a successful one 

https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a112/important-and-nearly-foolproof-steps-to-running-your-pmdg-product-in-prepar3d-v3.aspx

The only thing I can see is that I had 1 of the 2 error logging types enabled, after disabling it it seems to run like a champ

I; However did also install C++2005 X64 at about the same time DOH!!! it could be that as well.....I don't think so as I'm sure if the DC-6 needed that it would be part of the installer

I'm sure I'll be flying it again before the weekend is over.....it is an amazing plane

Rick

P.S.

If we could find a way to lighten up on the panel lighting as it's a serious hog, and way to bright

It's also kind of hard to see the needles on the OMNI head.....day or night.....