Sign in to follow this  
Viking01

CTD upon touchdown

18 hours ago, cbpowell said:

However, at some point of fiddling with it (many clicks), the sim simply stops updating A:TOTAL WEIGHT correctly. So the plane has the fuel, the engines are running, but the weight is not adding in...and the visual sag stops working.

I gotta tell you, I think this is a sim bug and not us. We're setting the tank weights correctly, but the sim is glitching. Reloading the aircraft seems to get everything squared away.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

Today i flew another Test 4 flight.

Started up the 50% fuel situation, changed to 100% by the fuel manager. No change in physical weight of the aircraft, it did not sink down.

Long taxi, take-off and i flew away. The aircraft did need a longer ground roll, aircraft was performing less and climbed less, needed longer climb then yesterday to reach flap retract speed.

If that was because it had 100% fuel? i don't think so.....i think the fuel is not loaded in the aircraft.... i think the lesser performance is caused because the WX was different then yesterday (i use real WX), there was less wind and the density altitude was much higher (warmer day) and i think that caused the performance downgrade.

I Landed and had a long taxi back to the apron. No CTD.

At the apron i shut down the engines and start to fiddle around with the fuel settings.

Changing fuel within P3Dv4 fuel load system, lets the aircraft sink or rise indeed because the weight changes, changing the aircrafts fuel load by the PMDG fuel manager does not change the aircrafts weight (it does not sink or rise). i tried several times (the PMDG fuel manager sets back the fuel load as set in the P3Dv4 fuel manager though, but i see the aircraft getting more or less load when i change the fuel by P3DV4 fuel load. (and not when i load fuel by the PMDG Loadmanager.

When i startup a new P3Dv4 session and start up a fresh DC6 situation (with 50% of Fuel) changing the fuel to 100% with the PMDG loadmanager is still not sinking the aircraft down because of the higher weight. So when you say that it will the first time when you change the fuel load, and not the second or third....not on my system.

We need to further investigate this, since the fuel manager does not work like it should. But... then again... no CTD's anymore.

Kind regards,

Ben

I have just checked in P3Dv4 varying fuel in tanks. I see a correct actual fuel change on the total on board and I see proper representation in the fuel gauges.

This was done in flight. Also the aircraft reacts correctly on the fuel distribution and on the weight. 

There must be something strange going on that the fuel is not loaded via the load manager. I have sometimes seen that the data do not get updated until you click on another field like the one for Pax or Cargo. 

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

I honestly don't think this is our fault; I really think this is a sim glitch. Here, let me present some additional evidence. Below is a dump of some relevant internal sim A: vars after triggering the glitch. (To get here, I've opened our fuel manager screen and banged on it for a few minutes like a madman, finally settling on a full fuel load.)

(A:TOTAL WEIGHT,Pounds) = 68732.0000003
           (A:FUEL TANK LEFT TIP QUANTITY,gallons) = 2160.000000
          (A:FUEL TANK LEFT MAIN QUANTITY,gallons) = 3048.000000
         (A:FUEL TANK RIGHT MAIN QUANTITY,gallons) = 3048.000000
          (A:FUEL TANK RIGHT TIP QUANTITY,gallons) = 2160.000000
           (A:FUEL TANK LEFT AUX QUANTITY,gallons) = 2586.000000
             (A:FUEL TANK CENTER QUANTITY,gallons) = 2172.000000
            (A:FUEL TANK CENTER2 QUANTITY,gallons) = 2172.000000
          (A:FUEL TANK RIGHT AUX QUANTITY,gallons) = 2586.000000
               (A:PAYLOAD STATION WEIGHT:8,pounds) = 556.000000
             (A:FUEL TOTAL QUANTITY WEIGHT,pounds) = 19932.000000

Note that all eight tanks are full and the A:FUEL TOTAL QUANTITY WEIGHT variable correctly confirms that we're at a full 19,932 lbs. (We only control the individual tanks.)  A:FUEL TOTAL QUANTITY WEIGHT and the top variable, A:TOTAL WEIGHT, are under sim control and are read-only; the sim is in charge of summing all cargo / pax / fuel weights and arriving at a total. 68,732 lbs is incorrect, it should be 20K lbs heavier due to fuel.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Powell

Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg

2 hours ago, metzgergva said:

Hello Rick, 

I just flew her up to 17000 ft and get the following.

Your engine settings are correct 1100 TQ, 2070 RPM, 150 BMP and 543 PPH. I have used those setting with supercharger on and auto-rich. This is a screenshot from the engine section including the internal date read from the sim via AFSD.

DC-6_FL170.jpg

I'm seeing due to resolution of the axis in P3Dv3

1101 TQ, 2062 RPM, 151 BMP and 558 PPH. The later is with 3% of target.

Sorry, but all is perfectly okay!

Thanks for the info, are you using real world weather, I use FSrealWX.PRO networked to another computer via widefs, which could be a possible cause for a CTD problem. I don't think so, I've been using this network setup for a long time and never had a problem of this nature. I think my readings are affected by pressure/density altitude, does weather affect engine performance in the flight model? This would affect fuel flow, and airspeed as my DIAS was a good 20 KIAS below the manual, which again could be affected by pressure/density altitude, as well as wind speed/direction, I had 75 knots behind me on the way there and 75 on the nose on my way back. I didn't calculate pressure/density altitude before the flight so I don't know if that might have been the problem, but it doesn't explain why the fuel flow went up 25 or 30 PPH as I lowered the flaps from 20 to 30, a 20 KIAS difference in airspeed, and an overall 275+lb difference fuel used per hour. Pressure/density altitude, can have a large effect on performance, but that's a lot

I just thought I would post those findings as a possibility that it might have some bearing on this thread.....I think this discussion is better left for another thread :ha:

Anyway it's 0 flight 30 here and I think I'm going to have to go out and take this little beauty around the block once.....ok.....maybe twice, I'll calculate Pressure/density altitude this time.

metzgergve can I contact you with the performance results

Thanks

Rick

Hi Chris,

I was getting a very consistent CTD when using a certain taxiway at one airport.

Tonight I tried the test 4 dll's with great success.  I traveled the entire length of the taxiway several times, restarted the sim and tried again without any CTD's.

I then completed a pattern and touchdown at the problem airport without a CTD.

Many thanks to Chris and PMDG for such a terrific aircraft.

Kevin Bouchard

Kevin

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Chris,

One more test 4 flight.  No CTD's

Parker Freeman - KTPA
i7 8700k@4.8, Asus Maximus X, Nvidia 1080TI, Win 10 , Saitek X65

Been flying the whole day, short hops in AU. No crashes until now! 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

We did not hear anything for a while, for me with the tests the CTD's are solved but i got the Fuel load problem in return...... i wonder what's the status now?

There is an official update through the OC that contains the CTD fix. can you check with the latest official release and if you have the fuel issue then please submit a ticket.

Real names required in the forum BTW

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I just want to give a big thanks to you guys at PMDG because now she flies like a dream.  I just made a long flight in Orbx's South America and used the AFE and not one problem, all sliders maxed, AS4 weather on, taxi in and out and landing flawless.  Also, thank you @markdf!

Jack Sawyer

On 30/08/2017 at 8:47 AM, Olympic260 said:

There is an official update through the OC that contains the CTD fix. can you check with the latest official release and if you have the fuel issue then please submit a ticket.

Thank you for confirming, I was waiting for this news before ordering.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

17 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I just want to give a big thanks to you guys at PMDG because now she flies like a dream.  I just made a long flight in Orbx's South America and used the AFE and not one problem, all sliders maxed, AS4 weather on, taxi in and out and landing flawless.  Also, thank you @markdf!

You're welcome. We want you to enjoy the plane as much as we enjoy it. There is a lot of soul in this aircraft, we think, that modern liners lack.

The fuel loading issue is known and being pursued. We found that it only seems to kick in when the engines aren't running, and I still think the evidence points to an underlying glitch in the simulator itself:

That said, sim glitch or no sim glitch, we're exploring workarounds to make the fuel loading behave properly.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Powell

Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg