Sign in to follow this  
demuss

Autofeather, Autofeather test switch, manual feather, all things prop feather...

First - love, love, love the DC-6!

But I do have questions and i cant find the answers in the documentation (if they are there please be kind when pointing it out to me).

Does the simulation model autofeather? if so how it is enabled/disabled? How are the autofeather test switches to be used? What makes the blue lamps near the autofeather switchs illuminate?

i think i understand how to test manual feather during runup with the feather push/pull switches (set 1500 RPM, push manual feather switch in, look for appx 300 RPM drop, pull switch back out) but if that's wrong please correct me.

Many thanks for a very fine simulation!

Marc Musgrove

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, demuss said:

First - love, love, love the DC-6!

But I do have questions and i cant find the answers in the documentation (if they are there please be kind when pointing it out to me).

Does the simulation model autofeather? if so how it is enabled/disabled? How are the autofeather test switches to be used? What makes the blue lamps near the autofeather switchs illuminate?

i think i understand how to test manual feather during runup with the feather push/pull switches (set 1500 RPM, push manual feather switch in, look for appx 300 RPM drop, pull switch back out) but if that's wrong please correct me.

Many thanks for a very fine simulation!

Marc Musgrove

I believe autofeather is simulated. Below the manual feather push/pull knobs, there are switches for testing the autofeather.

Edit: Didn't read fully. You want to know how they're used not where are they. What does the POH say?

Autofeather and manual feathering is fully functional.  As Chris suggested, follow the POH; however, one has to practice this check because if you don't unfeather quickly the engine will come to a stop.  I think it took me 3 or 4 times to feel comfortable with that one.

Dan Downs KCRP

4 minutes ago, downscc said:

because if you don't unfeather quickly the engine will come to a stop.  I think it took me 3 or 4 times to feel comfortable with that one.

Been there....pulled out the knob and bam engines came to a grinding halt!!

I'm also curious about this. I understand the manual feather that's described in the PoH with the red buttons, and the feather check, but neither the autofeather test switches nor how the autofeather works is really described in the PoH or I haven't found it either.

Best,

David Miller

David

FSX User / Into Addons with deeper Systems Modeling / Love planes and airports and ATC

pf3-supporter.gif

i think the regular feather check is different from (or in addition to) the autofeather checks. i haven't seen it addressed in any of DC-6 / C-118 documentation i've found on the web.

And it does seem that ypu do have to be pretty quick with pusing/pulling the manual feather switch to keep engine RPM from decreasinto the point of engine stop during a manual check.

Marc Musgrove

• Upvote 1

How do you activate autofeather? If i do the switch it clicks back. No light will come up?

Where in the POH can I find the procedure for it?

Regards Ronald van Ingen

14 minutes ago, RonnieDuck said:

How do you activate autofeather? If i do the switch it clicks back. No light will come up?

Where in the POH can I find the procedure for it?

Full names on all posts here please.

The POH has not reference to the autofeather controls or procedures; therefore, I presume it was removed because it is not modeled.   There are a number of propeller controller functions not included in this version but I am hoping to see them in v1.1.

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

Full names on all posts here please.

The POH has not reference to the autofeather controls or procedures; therefore, I presume it was removed because it is not modeled.   There are a number of propeller controller functions not included in this version but I am hoping to see them in v1.1.

Agree with you Dan, I am hoping to see at least a functional autofeather simulated in the upcoming patches.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Thank you all - I am glad to have this answer. I'm the kind of geek who loves the systems and flight planning (engineer by profession) but really loves flying (real world PPL) the closest thing to aircraft I'll never be able to touch in real life. The DC-6 is just terrific to me and the INOP autofeather is not diminishing my enjoyment of this fine simulation one bit. I'd be happy to have the system working after a future update but an "INOP" label would work OK too.