Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Sneak peak ... new VOZ 1.1 Beta SE region video

Guest koorby

I admit it ... I was wrong. The 0.99 textures for the south were too dry, far too bleached and generally incompatible with the real world. You see, I'd based the colours on summers past, but the climate in Australia has subtly changed over the past few year. This summer for instance was cooler, wetter and green.Oh, it's still brown and dry alright, but not like it used to be. So I have renamed South region to SE and it now sits much much better with southern New South Wales, eastern Victoria, and Tasmania looks perfect.Here's a 50MB WMV-HD video showing off the changes:http://jaykae.org/koorby/VOZbeta11SE.ziphttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/koo...VOZbeta11SE.jpg

Mate, looking really great. I have in the last few weeks done a sim flight from YPPH to YMEN in the FSD Skymaster in real time and real weather, so I have had a bit of time to gaze and reflect on your textures.I guess I came to the same conclusion as yourself for the SE of Oz. One thing I would like to add at this moment is that while the Nullabor is technically a desert, I feel that from my experience of driving across it 3 times it really deserves a bit more vegetation IMHO.The scrub appears a little too sparse especially in the vicinity of the E/W highway.Mate, looking forward to the next version with much anticipation. Is there any chance that you can demonstrate the difference of one of your excellent textures at the current FS resolution vs. the FSX resolution?Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Guest koorby

Thanks Chris; it's certainly looking less dry currently; I need to find a balance, but man, just flying tonight with the SE 1.1 stuff at 12noon - it looked nice. That's the first time I have seen stuff look good at midday - normally it just sucks.Regarding FS9 vs FSX - is this what you mean?http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/koo.../fsx_vs_voz.jpg

Thanks Koorbs,I can certainly see an improvement in texture res, but not to the extent that I imagined when in close comparison with each other.I'll be interested to see what you do with it given the huge improvements over the default Oz texture you were able to make with VOZ.Cheers and thanks again.Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaPS, had a FS flight last night from Hobart to Latrobe Valley landing at dusk with some broken cloud, with a reddening horizon, man was it awesome. Thanks again for VOZ cob.

Guest koorby

>Thanks Koorbs,>>I can certainly see an improvement in texture res, but not to>the extent that I imagined when in close comparison with each>other.>>I'll be interested to see what you do with it given the huge>improvements over the default Oz texture you were able to make>with VOZ.>>Cheers and thanks again.>>Chris Porter>:-outta>>Perth>Western Australia>>PS, had a FS flight last night from Hobart to Latrobe Valley>landing at dusk with some broken cloud, with a reddening>horizon, man was it awesome. Thanks again for VOZ cob.We will be releasing a payware VOZ for FSX, probably by early 2007. It will be at 1m/pixel which depending on how you measure it, is between 4 to 16 times the detail we have in VOZ right now.

Guest koorby

>And it will come on 16 DVDs' >>:-lol :-lol :-lol >>BarryDon't laugh too quickly. 1024x1024 with 9 MIP levels (690K) versus the FS9 256x256 with 7 MIP levels (42K) equates to 16x the texture size, which means the main texture folders go from 190MB to > 3GB. So yes, it will be a DVD release or a fat-pipe-only download.

Excellent news, will be looking forward to that. Also any preview shots at that res would be great.On that topic, can you guys prepare the release in advance or will the formats change to the extent that you have to wait for the release of FSX first.OTOH maybe the ACES team will wouk with you in advance as per their pre-release blurb huh.Cheers and thanks for the info.Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia