Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

How to check if a data source is good for Ortho4XP?

Cutting a tile is a 2.5 hr affair for me, so I would like to know a good data source for given place of interest before I let my system build the tile.  For these:

New Zealand

Australia

South of France and the Mediterraneans (BI?)

Asia: Japan, Philippines ?

Is BI a good source in general?

Is there a technique to check? I.e. use Bing Map and zoom down?

Thanks 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Bing is the default and is fairly good in general, but has some issues in certain regions, such as clouds and different color tones due to photos taken at different time of the day.

Checking Bing Maps would be a good solution to prevent downloading of these bad tiles. At least in central Italy I found the issue with the different tone color in the same tiles I downloaded. Google maps have the same issue in the same spot, actually!

In general I observed that local sources (IT for Italy, SE for Sweden, FR for France, etc.) are better.

Cheers

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

For New Zealand, Arc is the best you'll get. I have the entire country done, and there are some clouds in a few areas, but nothing too bad. The other sources are bad (I think Bing uses the same source as Arc in some places)

For South of France, Bing seems to win here for me

Australia, hmmm, if you find a good source tell me. But Australia is huge, and I only tried the Queensland coast and also Melbourne. Both Arc and Bing weren't very good

I found the nearer to the equator you get, the worst the quality seems to get.

3 hours ago, enek0id said:

In general I observed that local sources (IT for Italy, SE for Sweden, FR for France, etc.) are better.

Thanks will try IT for some more tiles in IT.  I have been using BI for the Alps so far, but have not moved further south yet.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

What about US the west coast in particularly, I currently use US_2,  any recommendations here ??? 

Arc I'd say is the best. I have most of the west coast and Nevada and Arizona done with this source.

I'll take your words Tony and will try ARC 

tnx

Yair

BTW

..maybe you know, and can help me with this to..... Do I need to remove Tiles from the Tile Collection map all those that I'm done with before starting generating a new Batch ?