Sign in to follow this  
Darcy

Setting advice, high CPU temps

I have been simming since commodare 64 days and have owned all the Microsoft Flight Simulators.  I fly mainly the big airliners (PMDG, FSL320, majestic q400).  I have moved from FSX to p3d v4.  I had my settings in FSX well tweaked and could just fly (oom of course once in a while and not as great visually as P3d v4).  I am struggling to get the right balance at busy airports.  Here is my dilemma. Specs are i7 4770 4.5 ghz, HT on, GTX 970, 1920x1080, as16, asca orbx, ftx MT6 25%, fsuipc limiting traffic and mainly fly PMDG 777 till my other favorites come out.  I fly with unlimited fps mostly, 1/2 refresh rate in NI (because it seems to smooth it a bit better than without).  

All is pretty good coming into medium size airports (CYEG, CYYC). But when I come into CYYZ, CYVR fps go down to around 20 and I get some stutters.  I also notice when running unlimited my CPU temp stay quite high (high 80=100). So I tried limiting fps within the game to 30 to 40 (40 seems better and smoother at altitude) and CPU temp goes down to high 70's.  So coming into CYYZ with frame rate set to 40 it drops to low teens and stutters so I have to go back to unlimited to get it a bit smoother (still some stutters but fps up to 22 and flyable).  So my settings are notch down from the full right  with normal for autogen, trees, autgen distance high, 8xmsaa and would love to run at 4xssaa as it looks way better but I get more stutters.  I have played a lot with these settings with not much change.  Even with higher settings fps stays about the same but stutters more.  Is there one setting that will help me even more and I am concerned at unlimited about the high CPU temps especially on the long flights as my fan is just whirring away unless I limit the fps.  I hope you can make sense of this but this has been my experience.  I would love to just fly again as I did in FSX but can't quite get the right settings and I have played with them a lot.  I continue to monitor this forum for helpful tweaks but none have quite done it for me yet.  I will find the solutions, even if I have to buy a new system :).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  

Summary

1) High Temp for CPU unless fps is set lower than unlimited, when lower fps drops and induces more stutters at bigger airport

2) What setting changes should I lower even more that would help stutters at busy airports (All else looks great runs fairly smooth until on final at busy airports)

Thanks for reading.

Darcy

I"m not sure about a 4770K but on my 7700K at 4.5 there was an issue with high cpu temps 70-80.  My solution was to set Vcore voltage to 1.280 and change it to adaptive.  Doing this my core temps pretty much stay 50-70 and the computer runs very quiet with the cpu cooling fans on the AIO water cooler rarely kicking on.  It is very stable and my voltages run between 1.20 - 1.28 with the average voltage being around 1.245.    I'm able to maintain 30fps at 4K resolution at 30hz refresh.

Not sure if this will help you but just giving my input on my own personal recollections of similar issues.

Sean Green

Have you tried turning HT off? I tried it on and temps went up. I never benefited from having HT on. Sim runs great nonetheless.

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz OC 4.6 GTX1080.

Changing settings in the sim is not the cure for your CPU overheating, You need to find out why it is overheating.

Is the computer in a hot room?

Is there 10 years worth of dust in the heatsink?

Are you overclocking?

Is your heatsink adequate for the CPU you have?

Do you have adequate airflow in your computer case?

the list could go on.  

--Sean Hart

No I haven't tried HT off.  My CPU is clean, good airflow and the sitting temps are 46.  It is weird it drops to 70's when p3d v4 is set to a fixed fps in the game.  

Thanks for the suggestion on HT maybe I should try it?

I am not sure it is overclocked.  How would I find out?

Darcy

Yeap that overheating CPU has nothing to do with your setting! If you are seeing Temps that high there is something wrong with your cooling. Sure there is a difference between temp at idle and under load but it doesn't sound like that's whats going on here. If you are really getting temps that high you risk frying your CPU. Proceed with caution until you get to the bottom of it!

EDIT:

I just checked mine.

I am using a 4770K at 4.6 during scenery loading with HT on an the CPU at about 75% across all cores I am seeing about 50C with the CPU fan not even increasing RMP.

There is definitely a technical problem with your cooling.

Keep that CPU below 70 and don't turn those setting up until you fix your cooling!

The technical problem is already illustrated by the high temperature in idle. If the overclocking is correctly done and the cooling is right, there is no chance that the CPU reaches 46C while in idle.

On the other hand: 70-80C is absolutely no problem for a CPU, even not if it is for hours. As long as the CPU is not throttling, you can consider your temps being ok.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

My suggestion is : Remove your heatsink, clean CPU and bottom of heatsink and apply new heatsink paste.

Mike

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Avidean said:

Yeap that overheating CPU has nothing to do with your setting! If you are seeing Temps that high there is something wrong with your cooling. Sure there is a difference between temp at idle and under load but it doesn't sound like that's whats going on here. If you are really getting temps that high you risk frying your CPU. Proceed with caution until you get to the bottom of it!

EDIT:

I just checked mine.

I am using a 4770K at 4.6 during scenery loading with HT on an the CPU at about 75% across all cores I am seeing about 50C with the CPU fan not even increasing RMP.

There is definitely a technical problem with your cooling.

Keep that CPU below 70 and don't turn those setting up until you fix your cooling!

Avidean is right, if your CPU heats up to much your OC settings are wrong or to high.

Avidean, i'm using the same CPU than you but can only get to 4.5 with high temps cooling with an Noctua NH-D14, i'm interested in the volt settings you use for OC, thx in advance.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I personally would never turn HT off, why would I make an i7 out of my i5? If flightsim is the only purpose of the machine - ok, maybe.

@Darcy Which cooler are you using?

8 hours ago, Darcy said:

No I haven't tried HT off.  My CPU is clean, good airflow and the sitting temps are 46.  It is weird it drops to 70's when p3d v4 is set to a fixed fps in the game.  

Thanks for the suggestion on HT maybe I should try it?

I am not sure it is overclocked.  How would I find out?

Darcy

46 is pretty high for idle temp.  My 4790K sits in the mid to high 20s at idle.  But, idle temps don't tell us too much.  About a moth ago the 4790K started to get temps close to 90 at peak load in P3D.  The issue was the pump in my Corsair H100i v2.  I replaced the whole unit and stay in the mid 60s now at full load.

I'd follow the suggestion given above and remove the heatsink, clean and apply new thermal paste.  Or, perhaps consider another cooling option - they are pretty inexpensive.  What cooler are you using now?

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

7 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

The issue was the pump in my Corsair H100i v2.  

I had a failed pump in my Arctic Freezer 240 and my PC shut down after about 10 seconds after bootup... :-)

I really like AIO coolings for the CPU. And as you say: they are not very expensive.

40 degrees at idle is not unheard of for a Haswell with its lower quality TIM and the higher gap between the CPU and the IHS. In fact, your idle temps are going to give you a good idea of how far you can push your system. 

I also idle around 40 degrees in the summer months (most of the year where I live) and have to set more realistic OC goals. I also have a smaller AIO solution (dual fan 60 as opposed to the larger 120 or 240 radiators) due to case limitations. So realizing that I set about OCing with a goal of controlling heat. 80 degrees C was my limit nailing all 4 cores and 4 HTs. Thus I ran into 80 degrees at 4 cores at 43, 3 cores at 44 and 2 and 1 cores at 45.  Thus in P3D where all 4 cores get hit, I am only at 4.3 GHz. 

With that in mind, I realize that I cannot run P3D settings full right. I have set realistic settings looking to tweak the sim to give me steady stutter free simming and locked the fps to 30. With the GTX 1070FE slightly OCed I am able to run P3Dv4 with ASP4, ACSA, Orbx (Global, Vectors and NA regions,) UTL (80% traffic further reduced to 200 by FSUPIC) and my favorite biz jets without problems. 

I also ran into the same issue as Rob A. states with thread collision. For some reason, if I run P3D as Administrator all 8 threads get hammered at 100% and this causes huge stuttering. As I don't run Intel Turbo Boost software. Interesting enough if I just launch P3D normally everything works out. I am running W10 pro 1703 so that may have something to do with it, possibly game mode having issues with P3D run as administrator. 

Realize that you got a lower quality Haswell and most likely your IHS is a millimeter further from the CPU than most and your chip runs hotter. Unless you are going to delid, replace the paste, and relid,  then you just have to live with it.

6 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Avidean is right, if your CPU heats up to much your OC settings are wrong or to high.

Avidean, i'm using the same CPU than you but can only get to 4.5 with high temps cooling with an Noctua NH-D14, i'm interested in the volt settings you use for OC, thx in advance.

At 4.6ghz my Vcore is 1.337v according to CPUZ. I would recommend NickN's Haswell overclocking guide over at Simforums.com

Your millage may vary!

My 4770K was delided and I used the stuff recommended by NickN. Can't remember what it is called but it is far superior to thermal paste. its a kind of liquid metal.

It's a lot of work getting everything just right but you end up with a very robust system. With my system in a sub zero ambient environment I can get 5ghz. Sub-zero environment requires thinking outside the box.:biggrin:

I delidded my 7700K and using a Corsair cooler I run 5ghz with no issues. Under full stress load I'm in the low 60's. I keep HT off.

For the op - HT on will increase temps slightly - your problem as others have indicated is very probably your thermal compound on the CPU.

No mystery why temps are lower when frames ar locked - less load on CPU = less heat.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors