Sign in to follow this  
jasonstory44

simconnect question

So after an entire day of trying to learn simconnect, playing with my network and setting up ASP4, ASCA, Plan G and PFPX on a server computer...I just learned that my verizon router apparently dynamically assigns IP addresses so that they may not be the same each time I setup the computer.  I talked with my internet provider about changing the IP lease to static but apparently they claim I need to "upgrade" to a business account to do that.

Curious if the computer "name" could be entered in simconnect and other .ini files instead of an IP address (if it is gonna be constantly changing and invalid).

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks jason

Most routers will change the internal IP for several reasons (nothing to do with the ISP provider), to avoid this you have to set your devices in the router to never change the IP (internal)

also you can give it a name and once this done you place an entry in your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts to indicate which address your PC has. There is a sample inside the hosts file on how to do it..Then

Jorge

What is the brand and model number of your Router?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

It's an old adsl2 router TG782T Thompson. You can acces your router by using the browser and entering its address that you get from a command prompt and ipconfig .. the default gateway is the address to enter..

Jorge

Hi Jason,

Your ISP is talking about the IP-address on the WAN side of your router, i.e. the IP-address visible to the outside world. They think you wanted that address to be static and that could indeed imply that you would need a business account.

What you need is a static address on the LAN side of the router, and like others have said, you should be able to do that using the home page of the router that you can reach at the address of the default gateway (run ipconfig in a command prompt window and look for the default gateway). The LAN side addresses are usually in the 168.x.y.z or the 192.x.y.z range.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Ah thanks guys.  I think I found where to change it in the router setup.  Fingers crossed today.  

Really appreciate everyone's input