Sign in to follow this  
DTG_Cryss

Update 8: Truesky (1.2.19365.0) Now Live

Looks great, are cloud shadows implemented in this iteration?

Okay here'a quick video. And, holy cr*p, it does look good. It's a bit of an FPS hog on high settings when also streaming to FRAPS, so forgive the less than brilliant frame rate here, but you can see that those clouds behave much more like the real thing. And ironically, I just bought Active Sky for P3D V4 today lol. Sort of hard to tell on this vid, but the clouds are actually swirling about, forming and dissipating like the real things do, which you can just about make out if you look at the top of the cumulous clouds, if they can get thermal activity right in the sim underneath those clouds, it'll be a glider sim pilot's dream come true:

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for that Chock, you can see the clouds forming in the clip - another first for FSW! Also the best view of Liverpool - from above the clouds! :biggrin:

Looks very nice! I like the solidness, thickness and consistency of the clouds. I don't really see any clouds shadows in that video - is that not implemented in FSW (yet)?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 minute ago, Anders Bermann said:

Looks very nice! I like the solidness, thickness and consistency of the clouds. I don't really see any clouds shadows in that video - is that not implemented in FSW (yet)?

No shadows yet. Probably coming in the next updates.

1 minute ago, ca_metal said:

No shadows yet. Probably coming in the next updates.

Thanks for clarifying...

I guess they'd overhaul the whole lighting engine. That one is badly needed with the ESP platform... Lockheed-Martin has come some way with Dynamic Lighting - but still a long way to go, IMO... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Can anybody hear the P3Dv4 crowd collective heads exploding? :laugh:

• Upvote 3

Nope, no cloud shadows yet, one suspects it will come at some point. But frankly, even as it is, the way the clouds form from nothing and grow into big new ones whilst others dissipate is pretty amazing, it's way better than what we're used to in flight sims with a METAR update suddenly popping a bunch of different clouds into existence. Hopefully it will be able to use streamed weather updates to have weather changes kick in even more realistically via FS Flight Controls METAR link to FSW. The guys at HiFi and REX are probably having heart attacks right about now lol.

They weren't kidding when they said it was a big deal update, this is a seriously major leap forward for flight simulation's depiction of weather and all the more amazing for being built into the sim and effectively 'free' for most users. To those who were saying FSW needed a 'wow feature' to set it apart, well this is that wow feature, and then some, and it goes to show that DTG really meant it when they said they wanted to move flight simming on and make FSW the best sim, which it will indeed be if they keep this sort of thing up.

Amazing, and props to you guys at DTG, hope you all have a great weekend, because you deserve it for pulling this one off.

Anyway, since you've proved you can do cool stuff, see if you DTG people can make it have your shiny new clouds swirl as the prop and wingtips go through them. If you can do that, I'll seriously consider deleting all other the flight sims off my hard disk lol.

I'm off now to buy a ridiculously overpowered GPU...

• Upvote 5

Alan Bradbury

23 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm off now to buy a ridiculously overpowered GPU...

You need CPU more than GPU, so save your pennies.

-eelis-

23 minutes ago, Chock said:

To those who were saying FSW needed a 'wow feature' to set it apart, well this is that wow feature, and then some, and it goes to show that DTG really meant it when they said they wanted to move flight simming on and make FSW the best sim, which it will indeed be if they keep this sort of thing up.

It's a ' wow feature' but I'll be interested to see how much it hits performance and how the slider control works. How does it affect the installation of other weather addons will also be an interesting question.

You can be sure the usual detractors will be along shortly to say it's really not that big a feature. :rolleyes:

Give people power to really test their personality.

As part of Early Access we have made some dramatic changes to the skies. By integrating trueSKY technology, Flight Sim World now has an immersive advanced weather system. Volumetric fog and haze add extra challenges to your flight experience, while magnificent sunrises and sunsets wait for you above the clouds!

nothing 3d clouds?

• Upvote 2

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

Looks really amazing... but until I see how it's made and how it interacts (and how lighting interacts with it) I'll remain waiting... I'll definately check out the stream later tonight... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

32 minutes ago, eelis said:

You need CPU more than GPU, so save your pennies.

-eelis-

Nah, this ain't FSX, the finished product will be dumping the work onto the GPU, in the pic below, FSW was fluctuating between 25 and 50 frames per second and remaining smooth, and my GPU is cr*ppy and old too and the CPU is even older.

Just below the ball turret in this pic, you can see a new cloud beginning to form in the distance...

AtlCPN3.png

Alan Bradbury

Very good work DTG!

IMO this feature puts you back in the race with the other competitor flight sims, and at the forefront in this aspect.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]