Sign in to follow this  
DTG_Cryss

Update 8: Truesky (1.2.19365.0) Now Live

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

What sort of performance impact does TrueSky have, compared to the previous version?

None to me, sometimes it feels even smoother than before. But people with weaker PCs are complaining about performance loss.

I would say it depends on your PC specs.

• Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Just had a play around with the new weather engine.

Obviously the clouds and lighting etc. need tuning, but this is a big step up from the old weather engine. It has a lot of potential, more than I think some people realize. This is more than a simple texture replacement like "weather engines" for FSX etc.. It's a complete, shader based cloud and weather modelling system. Clouds are *generated dynamically* based on input parameters, not just loaded from a static .dds file like the old system, which makes it infinitely more flexible.

Again, as I said it needs a lot of tuning because at the moment I can't say it looks any better than traditional ESP clouds, just different. It looks like two separate sims now because of the different lighting etc. of the sky vs scenery - You can very clearly see where the trueSky middleware ends and the old ESP engine takes over. The fog/haze and ground lighting need to be tuned to be in harmony with the trueSky colors, and cloud shadows+reflections added. The eye-burning glare/bloom also needs to be turned down.

Also, on a different note, the sim still needs better base scenery. Trying to fly VFR with what is basically the old landclass and vector data from stock FSX just isn't very enjoyable, so I still quickly lose interest in the sim after playing around with it for a short while.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

5 hours ago, JimmiG said:

Also, on a different note, the sim still needs better base scenery. Trying to fly VFR with what is basically the old landclass and vector data from stock FSX just isn't very enjoyable, so I still quickly lose interest in the sim after playing around with it for a short while.

I suppose it could depend on where in the world you're flying in. For what it's worth, at least in the area where I actually live and which I am familiar with, the FSW representation of rivers, lakes and coastlines is a lot more accurate than what was the case with stock FSX. Sure, you could improve FSX with add-on packages, but it's clear that as far as stock, out-of-the-box product goes, FSW has definitely got some improvements in the scenery department. The landclass could use more work (esp. city areas etc.), but I hope that will be resolved in the future, perhaps via Orbx landclass products or something similar.

Stock scenery is FTX Global Base, so it's not exactly the same as FSX/P3D, even though it's not updated for the whole world. We will rely in DTG's updates or Orbx to release Open LCs and full fat regions for the sim.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Has anyone had and issue with the clouds in true sky? Mine are swirling lines in cumulus clouds. Kinda translucent. Running latest Nvidia and windows 10.

1 hour ago, bgpearce01 said:

Has anyone had and issue with the clouds in true sky? Mine are swirling lines in cumulus clouds. Kinda translucent. Running latest Nvidia and windows 10.

Yes its like this now, hopefully they will adress it in the next patch.

The new clouds are very nice.

Wondering if Lockheed-Martin will incorporate something similar in Prepar3D?! Just noticed, that Lockheed-Martin is a customer at Sundog Software... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I would love to see DTG release a scenery and airport design tool that allows users to import GeoTIFFS or other imagery and then place sim library objects on the image.  People could upload updated airports to the steam community.

and I think this update overall is very good.  There needs to be adjustments to a variety of areas but its a great start.  The cloud lighting logic at sunset is as perfect as Ive seen in a flight sim yet - not that Ive seen all of them -...  I still wish clouds and sky would look like truck sim (ATS or ETS2) but be dynamic and interactive.

MSFlight still wins the flying through clouds effect.  XP11 still wins with cloud decks.

but I am so happy to have realistic sun lighting logic on the clouds again.  I don't think any of it is finished.  the haze is not right at any time of day.  its flat, uniform and the wrong color and it doesn't really change color that Ive noticed.  Cloud shadows may need to get done first.

• Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:02 AM, vortex681 said:

What sort of performance impact does TrueSky have, compared to the previous version?

It's very heavy on the GPU, but if you have something like a GTX 970 or better it shouldn't affect performance at all.

On 2017-07-31 at 3:22 AM, EchoKilo said:

I suppose it could depend on where in the world you're flying in. For what it's worth, at least in the area where I actually live and which I am familiar with, the FSW representation of rivers, lakes and coastlines is a lot more accurate than what was the case with stock FSX. Sure, you could improve FSX with add-on packages, but it's clear that as far as stock, out-of-the-box product goes, FSW has definitely got some improvements in the scenery department. The landclass could use more work (esp. city areas etc.), but I hope that will be resolved in the future, perhaps via Orbx landclass products or something similar.

True It might be better than stock FSX. It has honestly been too long since I played that to remember. I guess I'm just spoiled with Ortho4XP and OrbX Regions for XP11 and P3D respectively. If you take off from Orcas Island for example (as I did on my last test flight), all the islands are basically just forest. No little towns or farms or meadows or any detail at all.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

On 02/08/2017 at 0:24 AM, fsxkitty said:

It's very heavy on the GPU, but if you have something like a GTX 970 or better it shouldn't affect performance at all.

Yeah I can concur. I have a GTX 1070 and I can comfortably run the clouds settings on Ultra with no noticable drops in performance.

I'm actually expecting the rendering of clouds to increase along with the cloud details once Dovetail have had a chance to consolidate the tech after the big effort just to get it up and running.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:23 AM, Celis said:

The sound's on your video are awesome. Anything special, sub woofer or something, had that nice deep growling sound to it.

• Upvote 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

On 8/8/2017 at 11:45 PM, Learjet777 said:

The sound's on your video are awesome. Anything special, sub woofer or something, had that nice deep growling sound to it.

I use Sound blaster X-FI software

http://www.creative.com/oem/products/software/x-fimb3.asp

and sometimes I add bass for my Buttkicker with Equilizer APO and Peace for UI

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

But only Sound blaster on that Video.