Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Anyone Hear Anything on "Instant Scenery" from Flight1?

3 hours ago, officercrockey said:

Do you know terrain sculptor? it is for free (suff4fs.com). Very nice tool (although not very easy and self-explaining) to adjust terrain to your liking...

I've seen it, but, after reading the instructions, I can't say I understand it.  I have used Blender to adjust terrain and it's fairly straightforward but takes a long, long time to set up.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

9 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I've seen it, but, after reading the instructions, I can't say I understand it.  I have used Blender to adjust terrain and it's fairly straightforward but takes a long, long time to set up.

Yeah it is not easy in the beginning. But once you got your head around it, it is pretty simple and straightforward as well. It is perfect to fit an airport seamlessly in difficult terrain. Don't know what exactly you want to do with the terrain...

How are you doing it in blender? Is there some tutorial?

Georgian Virtual Airports (UGMS Mestia / UGGT Telavi / UGAM Ambrolauri)

1 minute ago, officercrockey said:

Yeah it is not easy in the beginning. But once you got your head around it, it is pretty simple and straightforward as well. It is perfect to fit an airport seamlessly in difficult terrain. Don't know what exactly you want to do with the terrain...

How are you doing it in blender? Is there some tutorial?

I wanted to fix slanted roads, in particular, around Aerosoft Lisbon but in a few other places as well.  Weird stuff like that.

In terms of Blender, the best way I've found is to get some photoreal and a mesh that matches, convert the mesh to Blender format and then load the photoreal on it.  You can then do some really nice correction work.  You then convert the mesh from Blender back and process it as normal.  I have the steps worked out.  Works well enough for an area the size of an airport.  For larger areas Blender bogs down but you can use some tricks. 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

5 hours ago, rlkjmt73 said:

GSalden,  Do you have it working in P3Dv4?  

Soeren,  I installed it, but I can't get it work.  I don't think P3Dv4 is reading the .dll file that IS uses.  Just my guess.  So, I uninstalled it, and am using it in FSX, which my FSX .bgl files work just fine in P3Dv4, just as long as I have the same library files installed in P3Dv4 as GSalden stated.

SAFE Flyin'

Rod

Thank you Rod. I will use fsx, or maybe install P3D 3.3.  I think IS should work on that one too.

Soeren

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

IS 3 does not work in V4 but the scenery made with it shows up in V4 

OK. Thank you Gerard. Usefull information. :biggrin:

On 27/07/2017 at 7:31 PM, b1bmsgt said:

I have found that the Instant Scenery stuff that I made in v3 works in v4, as long as you import the appropriate libraries through the Scenery Library, so I just press on creating stuff in v3 and then importing it into v4. Whether they will ever update IS to work inside v4, who knows, but at least we can keep using it in the above way.

Russ

Hey Russ.

I loved using Instant Scenery 2, but now Im switching to P3D v4 but would like to play with IS v3.

If I make scenery in FSX, how do I export to P3D ?

Do I just copy the model libraries and textures from FSX onto my P3D drive and create a pseudo FSX folder structure ?

So, for example, if I use a model from an OrbX library, I simply point it to FSX, ORBX, Scenery Library..... etc. And, then copy said folders from my FSX drive to the P3D drive ? Presumably the bgl files I create and activate in FSX, only point to the various models, so the folders will effectively have to be duplicated on my P3D drive.

Or, I could copy all the model libraries into one folder, create my custom scenery files from that folder, and then copy just the one folder to my P3D drive..... say "Custom Scenery libraries" / Scenery / Textures.

Thnx for any advice.

35 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Hey Russ.

I loved using Instant Scenery 2, but now Im switching to P3D v4 but would like to play with IS v3.

Do I just copy the model libraries and textures from FSX onto my P3D drive and create a pseudo FSX folder structure ?

So, for example, if I use a model from an OrbX library, I simply point it to FSX, ORBX, Scenery Library..... etc. And, then copy said folders from my FSX drive to the P3D drive ? Presumably the bgl files I create and activate in FSX, only point to the various models, so the folders will effectively have to be duplicated on my P3D drive.

Or, I could copy all the model libraries into one folder, create my custom scenery files from that folder, and then copy just the one folder to my P3D drive..... say "Custom Scenery libraries" / Scenery / Textures.

Thnx for any advice.

The problem is that some older objects don't show up in p3d v4. Other ancient objects shimmer, or adversely affect performance.

the best way to use IS is to create scenery in p3d v3, using the object libraries from v4. I imagine you could do the same in FSX (if the object doesn't appear in IS/FSX, you won't want to be using it in scenery designed for P3D v4).

There's a question above about using IS in p3d v3.4, which I don't think was answered. I can tell you it definitely works in v3.3, because that's what I use, I didn't upgrade to v3.4 because I wasn't sure about compatibility - I remember that it never used to work, but not sure if IS was updated.

I solely keep v3.3 installed for IS projects, btw.

re: v4 compatibility with IS - I have read that this was happening, and would be released some time in 2018. I read this months ago, and the poster may have been wrong, but that's what I'm hoping for! IS updates have always been slow with prepar3d.

As per the posters above, I would appreciate some more direct information from Flight1, a quick post on plans would only take a minute or two.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 12/5/2017 at 2:50 AM, Gabe777 said:

Hey Russ.

Thnx for any advice.

Hi Gabe,

Sorry, but I just saw your post today as I am trying to check on a IS update for P3Dv4. Haven't found anything so far.

I use IS in P3Dv2 and just point the v4 scenery library to the v2 folder that contains the .bgl's. In my case, it is addon scenery\scenery. I also point the v4 scenery library to the  scenery object libraries that I use in v2. Works like a charm...

Of course, you could use IS in P3Dv3 as well, or even FSX for that matter, and just use the above procedure. I just use v2 because I never bothered to uninstall it.

Hope this helps!

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Hi Everyone

I have lost 10+ hours trying to get instant scenery made in P3d V3 to relocate to V4.3 and experimented without success. (It's a slow process experimenting!). I'm usually pretty competent at modding but my brain seems to have melted down on this one. 

Could someone write an word not allowed proof guide?  What do you mean by "point library to" etc? How do I ensure I am using only V4 compatible libraries? Any other best practices to convert to proper V4 structure? Setting up best scenery file location?

Many thanks in advance. Instant Scenery is a key part of the fun in P3D / FSX as it gets me exploring wherever I chose to go and not just to where I can buy expensive scenery for one or two visits. 

Don’t think that will ever be a new version. Last year FsDiscoverer from F1 claimed that they were working on a new version but 1.5 year has passed. It probably wasn’t doable without the original developer.

If you have the diskspace : install P3Dv3 and IS3 with that.

The bgl files made can be used in P3Dv4.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

8 hours ago, GSalden said:

Don’t think that will ever be a new version. Last year FsDiscoverer from F1 claimed that they were working on a new version but 1.5 year has passed. It probably wasn’t doable without the original developer.

If you have the diskspace : install P3Dv3 and IS3 with that.

The bgl files made can be used in P3Dv4.

I seem to be failing at getting the bgl files to work, either because they include incompatible objects or I am putting them into V4 in the wrong location?

Default FSX/FSX SE of P3Dv2/3 library objects are compatible in P3Dv4 (they maintain the same GUIDs), any placement bgl file created using default objects in FSX/P3Dv2/3 still functions in P3Dv4. For custom object libraries if you have the custom object library and placement bgl in an active scenery folder together with the object libraries textures, everything works:

/scenery (custom objects library bgl and placement bgl)

/textures (all related textures of the custom objects library)

Old FS2004 objects don't work anymore in P3Dv4, otherwise objects created with FSX SDK  still function OK in P3Dv4.

I still extensively use IS3 (do the placement in P3Dv3 and then fly in P3Dv4...), is a very practical and fun tool for object placements. I fear that with further P3Dv4 changes this method may cease to function, and still hope that IS3 is updated for P3Dv4 compatiblity.

On 10/6/2018 at 4:48 AM, Pilot37 said:

I seem to be failing at getting the bgl files to work, either because they include incompatible objects or I am putting them into V4 in the wrong location?

There’s no trick re: where to put bgls. Put em in a “scenery” folder wherever youmlike, and add it via scenery manager in the sim. Id put this item up near the top of the scenery order.

i updated the p3d v3 default libraries with those fro p3d v4, just in case they were better optimized. But this step is not necessary.

avoid using library object that are not p3d v3/v4 default, at least at first. I’ve found that quite a few dom;t show in v4, and some hurt performance.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

All sorted and working perfectly thanks guys. So long as I put in the Addon Scenery Folder. 

On 7/27/2017 at 7:04 PM, 1st fltsimguy said:

I spent some time trying to find out what might be happening with regard to Instant Scenery.

Over at SimForums there are several treads unanswered for long periods. Not even a clue if this application is dead in the water. I would have thought by now a simple answer  would have been possible.

Does anyone have any information on this applications status?

Bryan

Still with you guys.

Spent many hours playing with Instant Scenery, Airport Studio and Object Maker.

Problem seems to be, importing sceneries into P3D v4, creates elevation issues. If made in FSX.

I note that doing it in P3Dv3 may be a workaround, but I wouldn't even know where to go about installing P3Dv3 at the same time as v4 ! Sounds messy.....

Perfect example: Snow Dogs Tours Alaska. Try using those sceneries (made using IS in FSX) in P3Dv4 and the airport elevations are all over the place.

I believe that P3D v4 is so much more complex than FSX, with different locations and methodologies for adding scenery, that the developers simply are not up to the job. (.... that's a challenge, not an insult 😎)

Financially, it is a no brainer as most people have switched over to P3D v4.

Edited by Gabe777