Sign in to follow this  
Oscar Pilote

England Mesh (VFR)

(a copy/paste from a post on x-plane.org forum)
Regards
Oscar

----------------------

I have uploaded under the following link mesh files for 30 tiles in England (from South up and including +53).  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3vPD6IeCB9zbU5JWmlWNlpfeDg?usp=sharing

Elevation data are (a jigsaw) from Ordnance Survey (2m) and Environment Agency (50m), two Open Government Licence datasets, in particular almost all of the coast is available under 2m (which I anyhow downgraded to 5m for convenience and easier gluing).
Vector data (OSM) is used a posteriori to tweak the raster elevation data in a tentative to improve road banking and to avoid airport flattening without letting them too bumpy. 

I have not tested the mesh files except for Scilly, Cornwall and Plymouth (which are great places to fly, I found !). I'll be happy to get some feedback on airport smoothing, this shot is one same parameter for all and there is surely defects. In particular if you find one that turned non flyable please let me know so that I can try to figure out what could be the cause and how to overcome it without making a ad hoc (I should say haddock :-) rule.  

-----

To use them :

Unzip a(ny) mesh file in its corresponding zOrtho*** directory (replace the older .mesh if existing). In Ortho4XP, select the corresponding tile (and custom build dir if not default), provider and zl (or press Load cfg if just adapting a tile you have) and then DON'T touch step 1 or 2, just Step 3 (and 2.5 if you wish to redo masks).

-----

Tony's GB Pro 2 is certainly a very good choice of overlays for using on top of these, at least this is the one I chose for testing and it looked superb there.

Cheers from the continent

• Upvote 3

This is superb Oscar. I generated a few tiles around Dover, Liverpool and North Wales and it looks fantastic. The white cliffs of Dover are now quite prominent and the mesh is that detailed that even the flyover from roads leading to the ferry is part of the mesh :)

That looks great, what source did you use to make the photo for the Isle of Scilly?

Wow amazing! Does it also cover Ireland?

No, and there is not much opendata for Ireland at all, so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon :(

so no cliffs of moher :( anyways, thanks for the reply!