Sign in to follow this  
Navigator43

Spoilers in flight

Hello folks, When I extend the spoilers to slow down the aircraft and make a turn the spoilers just flop back down and when the aircraft comes back level again the spoilers will extend back up again,  basically the spoilers work fine slowing down the aircraft in straight and level flight but when I change heading the spoilers will just deploy down and then extend up again. I don't know if this is a bug or glitch. Also sometimes in turbulence with the spoilers extended it will do the same thing extend up and deploy back and fourth. Don't know if this is a bug or something. Maybe it depends on what way the air flow goes over the wings. If someone could explain this it would be very greatful

thanks

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

3 minutes ago, aushie said:

Hello folks, When I extend the spoilers to slow down the aircraft and make a turn the spoilers just flop back down and when the aircraft comes back level again the spoilers will extend back up again,  basically the spoilers work fine slowing down the aircraft in straight and level flight but when I change heading the spoilers will just deploy down and then extend up again. I don't know if this is a bug or glitch. Also sometimes in turbulence with the spoilers extended it will do the same thing extend up and deploy back and fourth. Don't know if this is a bug or something. Maybe it depends on what way the air flow goes over the wings. If someone could explain this it would be very greatful

thanks

This will be the ailerons when making a turn these are used :biggrin:

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

Yes I know that about the ailerons, but this is the speed brakes I'm talking about that are used in flight to slow the aircraft down. When I have these extended and make a turn the air pushes the speed brakes back down against the wing. It's hard to explain wish I could show a video

9 minutes ago, aushie said:

Yes I know that about the ailerons, but this is the speed brakes I'm talking about that are used in flight to slow the aircraft down. When I have these extended and make a turn the air pushes the speed brakes back down against the wing. It's hard to explain wish I could show a video

Not quite, the air doesn't push the speed brake down. If you're banking right, you want the right wing to drop and left to rise, spoilers dump lift off a wing. The left wing spoilers are lowered (deliberately by the systems) to increase the lift on the left wing, the right wing spoilers will remain raised as that wing will be lowering.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Not quite, the air doesn't push the speed brake down. If you're banking right, you want the right wing to drop and left to rise, spoilers dump lift off a wing. The left wing spoilers are lowered (deliberately by the systems) to increase the lift on the left wing, the right wing spoilers will remain raised as that wing will be lowering.

OK yes that makes sense and I understand now how it works thanks

Just now, aushie said:

OK yes that makes sense and I understand now how it works thanks

No problem :)

• Upvote 1

Spoilers actually serve three functions:

"Flight" Spoilers --> When used in the air, slow the aircraft and as a result increase the rate of descent.

Spoilerons --> When used in turns they are called "spoilerons" as they are acting as both a spoiler and an aileron (in the way Chris explained)

"Ground" Spoilers --> dumping the lift on the ground and increasing downward pressure on the gear increasing the effectiveness of the brakes.

It's a similar reason you have "flaperons" on some aircraft (e.g. the 777 and 747): in some phases of flight they act as flaps, in others they act as ailerons. When space on a wing is a limited commodity you have to get creative! Remember on most aircraft of the NGX size and above - for every moveable surface you add you also have to add cabling and in some cases hydraulics as well all which eat into the weight you can carry (cargo, passengers, fuel or all three).

7 hours ago, pilot87 said:

Spoilers actually serve three functions:

"Flight" Spoilers --> When used in the air, slow the aircraft and as a result increase the rate of descent.

Spoilerons --> When used in turns they are called "spoilerons" as they are acting as both a spoiler and an aileron (in the way Chris explained)

"Ground" Spoilers --> dumping the lift on the ground and increasing downward pressure on the gear increasing the effectiveness of the brakes.

It's a similar reason you have "flaperons" on some aircraft (e.g. the 777 and 747): in some phases of flight they act as flaps, in others they act as ailerons. When space on a wing is a limited commodity you have to get creative! Remember on most aircraft of the NGX size and above - for every moveable surface you add you also have to add cabling and in some cases hydraulics as well all which eat into the weight you can carry (cargo, passengers, fuel or all three).

Great information thanks