Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

FS8 TO FS9 = Disappointment

HelloJust a slight correction regarding Unlimited framerate slider.according to the Fs developers the frame limiting slider devotes more time slices to other FS tasks not to external programs, so if you lock the frame rate slider at say 20 then after reaching this target the remaining time slices are given over to computing the flight model, Ai and any other threads Fs9 is running. the slider is also linked to the LOD_TARGET_FPS parameter in FS9.CFG normally this gets set around 8 frames less than the value of the framerate slider.so on this basis a value of 20 on the slider will get you a smoother flightsim experience and sharper textures.If you set the slider at unlimited and watch your average frame rate you will see it jump up and down, this is FS9's internal scheduling stealing time slices back for other threads which reqire processing.Set the slider at a couple of frames less than the average FPS and you will have smooth flying.If at this setting you still get blurry textures then it is time to start setting other sliders to the left, Ai settings and ground shadows, autogen ect.there is a much better explanation here from one of the guys who helped create FS9http://steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/2005/1..._blurries.shtml

P4,3.2G1024mb 3200 Ram6600gt O/C graphics120G sata HD Just an update fella's. Had another month of FS9 tinkering and it looks pretty good.Thanks again to all who volunteered suggestions, most of which were very helpful. Thought I would share a couple of ideas that gave the greatest performance improvements for me. (1) Removed norton internet security suite (what a resource hog that is). Replaced with free zone-alarm firewall and avast antivirus. (2) Best improvement of all was to install Ken Salter's FS-Autostart.So just like to say many thanks Ken,and to anyone not using this free utility, check it out , its brilliant. O! almost forgot,did purchase the Level-D 767 a week ago,its just amazing,in fact its that good the wife is citing it in the divorce. Happy flying fella's, Arthurplum.

Guest thedoggg

By the way, my LDS 767 runs better than my PMDG 737 at least with virtual cockpit so don't wait to get it. No matter how many new aircraft Ive added, and i've added some great ones like PMDG 747, Feelthere 737 pic, Dreamfleet 727, Flight 1 ATR, the LDS still is the most enjoyable, and the one I most often fly.

Guest thedoggg

Agree about lowering 3d clouds, I have mine at 50 percent. It seems most of the clouds close to your plane are 3d and the 2d ones are farther away usually where they are not as noticable especially if you lower visibility as suggested. I am also using FSW dxt clouds which help a bit.AMD 3700+ slightly overclocked, 2gigs ram, Leadteck 6600 PCI express slightly overclocked running span mode 2560 by 1024 dual 19 Samsung monitors.Frame rate locked at 18 to 30 depending on what and where I'm flying.With this setup still take fps hits at certain add on airports (8-10 FPS at Simflyers, and some freeware ones)with lots of ai.Most other well designed ones like Fly Tampas, Flightscenery, Simwings run 18-20 FPS on Finals and taxxing around the airport. Have noticed that complex aircraft such as PMDG 744,PSS 777,PIC,PMDG 737,F1 ATR run smoother with frame rate locked on the lower end (20FPS) when flying from the virtual cockpit (18 for Cls A346 VC even though not that complex, runs fine with 2d panel and from spot view). I only use 2x AA and 2x Aniso with this resolution, with amazing visuals, could never go back to a single monitor. Considering upgrading Video card to 7800GT.

Optional (disable the autogen library by renaming the fs9Autogendefault.xml to default.xml.OFF - this will make very little visual difference to your flying but gives back FPS alsoWhat does this do exactly? The tips overall have been great!

Where is this sharpness =1 setting in the video card? I have ATI.jimCYWG