Sign in to follow this  
KevinAu

what is RVSM?

Guest dukefs9

Hi all,I am a little confused on what RVSM truly is. I understand it changes seperation from 2 to 1 thousand feet when between Fl29,0 and FL41,0 and requires special certification to fly it, but what altitude for my direction of flight?I had no trouble finding my altitude for my flight based on my going either east or west in the U.S.A. in the past, but even after searching several sources i have found nothing to tell me what altitude to fly when going either east or west with the new RVSM in place. I have also read that there are entry and exit points for RVSM flights, what is this basically and where does one find this type of information?Oh and to be sure, for flightplanning its "W" for USA domestic flights and "Q" for international flights?I appreciate all your time and assistance,Rune DukeKARB

It is simple, eastbound odd, westbound even. That's all there is to it now. /W means RVSM capable, and /Q means RVSM capable with RNAV capability. The entry points for RVSM applied to transitioning to/from RVSM airspace to/from non-RVSM airspace. Don't know where you're going to find info on that except on real charts. Don't think you have to worry about that much now since most of the world is RVSM now.