Sign in to follow this  
nealmac

Slow to load pages

Is it just me or is every page on AVSIM seriously slow to open? When I click a link I get a white screen for anything from 5 to 20 seconds and then the page will eventually load. This has been happening since the site was updated a few months back. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Not happening with me unless we have over 1200 members and guests on the site.  Right now we have half of that total.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yep, same here. Like you say have been like that since update. It takes so long I get bored waiting and go to another site. 

(When I say long, it's only 20 seconds, but other places are instantly loaded when I click the topic)

I have a 100mb internet connection. 

Luke Pype

Reported to tech.  

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

In an office, away from my normal home computer, but even with a less than 50Mbps connection, no issues loading pages. Almost instantaneous and I have 2-3 sites open at any one time.

Thanks Jim. I'm having this issue on multiple PCs and on my phone.

Now, when I say 20 seconds, that's probably a worst case scenario, it's not normally that long. But 5 seconds is like the quickest I can get any page to load.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

And I'm in Ireland, so I'm not far from the UK. Maybe you're on to something there Luke?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

Almost instantaneous and I have 2-3 sites open at any one time.

Same here Rick.  Sometimes I have 8-10 sites open at one time.  Wonder if those with performance problems are clearing their browser cache periodically as it will affect performance - https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

I periodically refresh my AVSIM forums page by hitting F5.

The tech team is looking to see if there are any issues with our servers, etc.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Like I said Jim. this problem isn't limited to just 1 PC. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

9 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

clearing their browser cache periodically

I do that routinely with CCleaner as I close a web-browsing session. I generally am listening to BBC Radio either sports(recent Open, that Speith is some prodigious talent) or News, checking emails, etc.

And ALL my PMDG downloads have never even had as much as a hiccup.

I have ran some tests and there are some things making the site slow so we are looking into them.  It won't be in the next 15 minutes though. :blush:  I suspect we will have to see if the website developer can fix.

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

PMDG downloads have never even had as much as a hiccup

That's because they have their own website and server(s).  They do not use our servers to download things.  We only host their forums. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

19 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

That's because they have their own website and server(s)

Yes, I'm aware of that, Jim. I know they use Amazon servers. What I meant was that while perusing here at Avsim, I can also download files from their server in the background without any 'bottlenecking'

Okay Rick.  Understand now.  Thanks.

Submit News to AVSIM