Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

And in the corner to my right, D-T-G!!!

First, there was Flight School for $15 which was an excellent first jump into the flight sim world.

We knew a more robust sim was coming after FS, but we did not know that by owning FS, we would get FSW for free.

FSW gives us a 64bit structure, Orbx baked in, great rain effects (on both the front and side windows), heavily detailed modeled default planes, a mission builder and then a series of new features (C&D walk through, Truesky) to enhance the product...with more to come (like animated passengers).

So, one can complain about what it doesn’t have…and what needs to improve. But when (in the flight sim world) has anyone been able to get so much for so little…$15!?

If anything, I commend DTG for risking so much for so little in an effort to compete in this arena. In all my years of simming, I have only seen one other Dev, Reiza (race simming) show this kind of generosity towards their consumers.

DTG is showing that they stand behind their product and their word. They are on the right track, attacking the basics and building from there. The sim has a welcoming feel into the world of flight and it offers a unique flight experience.

Originally, I hesitated to invest in flight school, but that investment turned out to be “best investment” I have ever made in a flight sim since I started this journey in 2009.

• Upvote 9

And in the corner to my left, Lockheed-Martin!!! 

As I see it, L-M's P3D is the direct competitor to DTG's FSW.  It will be interesting to see which one comes out on top.  My computer specs fall well short of the requirements for either, so I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay, watching the tide roll away.:wink:

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

21 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

So, one can complain about what it doesn’t have…and what needs to improve. But when (in the flight sim world) has anyone been able to get so much for so little…$15!?

Well said and fair comment. DTFS wasn't particularly engaging but DTG's offer of FSW to Flight School customers was generous. FSW is certainly moving along in Early Access and I, for one, am pleased to see it develop and improve.

I'm not really interested in any debate of "which sim is better" because it's all about familiarity and ease of use, about add-on investments and about hardware capability. For now, I would simply acknowledge DTG's efforts and look forward to an interesting future in flight sim.

• Upvote 3

Best regards

Rupert

I would like to strongly reinforce the comments above of FlyBaby.

I am a simmer since FS3 and up to P3Dv4, plus DCS and X-plane11. I also own a PPL SEP and fly single engine GA airplanes. When flying I always realise how beautiful the outside world is when the sun is shining, and this is beautifully simulated by FSW.

To my opinion FSW is a very refreshing simulator with a beautifully shaped outside world as well as its planes! The Flight models are very descent. I like the training sessions and missions very much, which radiate a very attractive aviation atmosphere. DTG is truly on the right track with this sim. My suggestion would be to stay within the GA world and develop that to the fullest detail and realisme! 

DTG, my compliments and lots of success in future developments!

• Upvote 3

Jcorstjens has been a simmer since FS3! That was in 1988!! Wow he must have seen some ups and downs in the FS scene. I did not get interested till FS5.1 really and my favourite series was actually the Flight Unlimited ones and then FS2002 I think. This is now my primary sim on the PC. I have uninstalled FSX. Too easy to moan and groan and go back to FSX rather than follow the birthing of this great sim. I also like to fiddle around to see what FSx stuff I can get to work in FSW between updates.Yes I know this is early access and as with all programming it will be two steps forward and one back but when the full release is produced I will almost certainly drop all FSX compatibility fiddling. 

So thanks to DTG for re kindling my interest and getting me away from the TV and keeping my mind working.

On 7/29/2017 at 4:18 AM, stans said:

And in the corner to my left, Lockheed-Martin!!! 

As I see it, L-M's P3D is the direct competitor to DTG's FSW.  It will be interesting to see which one comes out on top.  My computer specs fall well short of the requirements for either, so I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay, watching the tide roll away.:wink:

Direct competitor for the most hardcore simmers only.  FSW will always lose the "this is a professional sim" round, but when FSW begins to look like one and act like one, costs 5x less, and doesn't carry the "is not for entertainment" stigma, will that even matter?

• Upvote 3

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

2 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Direct competitor for the most hardcore simmers only.  FSW will always lose the "this is a professional sim" round, but when FSW begins to look like one and act like one, costs 5x less, and doesn't carry the "is not for entertainment" stigma, will that even matter?

It does depend on what you are looking for... I believe there is room for both P3D and FSW in the marketplace.

XPlane is probably the head-to-head competition for P3D.

FSW will have to show if they are serious,  or just another instance of MS Flight.. too early to tell! :cool:

Bert