Sign in to follow this  
spilok

VAS leakage needs to be conquered some way

2 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Prepar3D v4 with its 64bit platform really is so much better than any previous rendition of FSX/Prepar3D I have used.

It is worth the investment.

Steve

Steve

Am I correct in my assumption that there is no VAS limitation in P3Dv4 comparable to the 4GB VAS threshold in a 32bit platform such as FSX? Do OOMs ever occur in P3Dv4?

Bill

18 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Little thing called the EULA - which we can't discuss here.  Thankfully FSW is being worked on for not students/developers/professionals.

Well Dave , if you can't discuss it , why mention it in the first place ?

Double post ( for some reason .

Edited by jdwgraf
double post

2 hours ago, jdwgraf said:

Well Dave , if you can't discuss it , why mention it in the first place ?

The [person] doth protest too much, methinks! 

A little research on AVSIM rules and EULA discussions will answer your question my friend, and you'll find that my referencing the EULA and polite warning that we shouldn't open a discussion on EULA were both directly relevant and spot on.

Anyway, that's the explanation - though I believe your were simply being rhetorical and posted because you didn't like your advice being challenged.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Did some YouTube searches for P3Dv4 footage and was pretty impressed.  However, some of the regular default airports look quite anemic and the ground textures look like that desert brown everywhere.  Maybe there are programs that change that; I don't know.  It was the smoothness that impressed me more than anything.

Took a short flight last night. Was able to stave off an OOM last night by setting both Scenery Complexity and Autogen density to NORMAL.  Set Water Effects to Low 2x and Road Vehicles to 25.  AND very honestly, I didn't see that much difference in overall eye candy.  Most importantly, I did not have an OOM from Newark (EWR) to Buffalo Niagra Falls (BUF).  It was so good NOT to hear those 3 bing-bongs signifying an upcoming OOM.  I do some more testing today.

Stan

@ Dave

Maybe you should read your own post on the previous page first .

The OP asks for a solution to VAS issues and the reply " P3DV4 " is given . There is no mention of the P3D EULA at all , just in your post . Is it AVSIM policy to not even mention P3D from now on ?

Also who is " the [person] " you are referring to ? If it is me then I would like you to explain why . My post was not a " protest " , merely pointing out that the part of your post I quoted had absolutely no bearing on any of the previous comments whatsoever .

John

26 minutes ago, jdwgraf said:

John

You know how to research, but just need some help with interpretation.  I said "P3DV4 and FSW".  Please, for goodness sakes, research what I asked you and it will all become clear.  Spending your time trying to prove yourself right and someone else wrong is a waste of time - and becoming a waste of mine too.

Best wishes my friend.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, spilok said:

However, some of the regular default airports look quite anemic and the ground textures look like that desert brown everywhere.  Maybe there are programs that change that; I don't know. 

Orbx Global/Vector/Open LC addons and PTA for V4 will give you a great result. Speaking personally however, I would put up with the issues you outline even if they weren't solvable. V4 needs no tweaks and OOMs are a thing of the past if you totally migrate to it. I'm flying much more due to the certainty of completing the flight in lush settings and the most graphically challenging areas

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You know how to research, but just need some help with interpretation.  I said "P3DV4 and FSW".  Please, for goodness sakes, research what I asked you and it will all become clear.  Spending your time trying to prove yourself right and someone else wrong is a waste of time - and becoming a waste of mine too.

Best wishes my friend.

I am quite capable of understanding the Queen's English , I may live in the Netherlands but that doesn't make me Dutch . I have no need for any help with any interpretation either , I am perfectly aware of AVSIM's position regarding any EULA's .

The only thing I don't understand is why you mentioned the EULA in the first place if it is not to be mentioned , kind of defeats the object doesn't it ? No one else mentioned it in the preceding posts . I wasn't aware that AVSIM are using undercover mods these days , so you do learn something new every day after all .

John

Question:  If you already own a plane or a scenery...meaning you bought it for FSX, do you have to re-buy it for P3Dv4 when it's made available?  If so....that's quite a lot of money going down the drain for your fsx program.

Stan

Stan, to answer your question. Like you, I too have invested heavily in FSX sceneries/airports but I'm finding out that a good deal of them came with dual platform installers. So, in some cases, e.g. UK2000, as it gave me the two platforms when I bought them, I have received the updated P3Dv4 links too. So, you may find that there are devs out there updating their P3D to v4 without you having to re-buy. Imaginesim are doing some of theirs. There may be others too.

Guest JustanotherPilot
12 hours ago, scianoir said:

Steve

Am I correct in my assumption that there is no VAS limitation in P3Dv4 comparable to the 4GB VAS threshold in a 32bit platform such as FSX? Do OOMs ever occur in P3Dv4?

Bill

Bill,

64bit breaks free of the 4gb limitation of FSX and previous versions of Prepar3D, you are utilizing ALL of your Ram to the System/Game, VAS should no longer be an issue - having said that users are still experiencing CTD, I believe the main reason could be is that they have their settings too high for the hardware they have installed, Im using an Asus GTX1060 with an i7-4790K CPU 20gig DDR3 ram and have not experienced any CTD. My settings are not maxed but they are high...certainly much higher that I could ever get in P3Dv3.4.

Hope this helps

steve

Hi Spilok, road vehicles to 25?? why? you like to see traffic jams or do you like to fly? I have the road traffic completely off for high flying because you don't take notice off the traffic any way, you are to occupied to control the aircraft and ATC, make different profiles for low and slow and high flying and then you load the profile for whatever type of flying you want to do, car traffic causes OOM's and causes stutters as well . ORBX recommends no more then about 10%, ships and ferries can be at 100%, that doesn't take an impact and lets you see some ocean traffic around the globe flying over them.

Herman

• Upvote 1

On 29/07/2017 at 8:04 AM, electricman said:

I have FSX with FTX global base, vector and OL Europe , aerosoft mega Brussels x airport and a couple of freeware airports, AS16 and ASCA for the weather and traffic 360 at 50% for AI traffic. I fly the iFly737 all the time and even can perform flights from 5 to 6 hours and never had an OOM.

Most OOM problems come from people wanting to much and settings and tweaks that are just to high like textures 4096 and lod radius 6.5 and so on.

I found out that with a modern machine the less tweaks the better FSX performs and realistic slider settings help to, let's get realistic; autogen maxed out if you do long haul flights and don't see the trees and buildings anyway?

Herman

A lot of sense in what you say Herman. I flew with FSX for six years and never experienced an OOM error, honestly! But I created several cfg files for different flying scenarios, and of course like yourself, I would change the FSX sliders to an approrpriate level depending on the scenario I was flying.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

16 hours ago, spilok said:

Question:  If you already own a plane or a scenery...meaning you bought it for FSX, do you have to re-buy it for P3Dv4 when it's made available?  If so....that's quite a lot of money going down the drain for your fsx program.

Stan

Thankfully many developers (though not all) offer or are working on free of charge installers to enable their customers to use their products in P3Dv4 and for this they must be congratulated. Unfortunately however some of my 'must have' FSX products from A2A, PMDG and iFly have to be repurchased for P3Dv4. At least iFly are generous enough to offer a reduction to their existing FSX customers, but as far as I can see neither A2A nor PMDG offer anything similar. As their products could not be described as inexpensive, updating just my A2A and PMDG aircraft alone to run in P3Dv4 would involve an outlay of over $600....so, as you say, a fair bit of money going down the drain just for starters.

As I think I might in addition need a new rig to run P3Dv4 well, the expenses involved could be significantly higher, so, having also recently retired, my plan for the moment is to fly on with an optimised FSX until my rig or I have a meltdown!

Bill