Sign in to follow this  
dracer33

What would be you dream P3D V4 Rig?

Hey everyone, I'm in the market to custom build a new rig exclusively for Prepar3d V4.  I am curious to hear what you all would consider your dream P3D rig would be (computer+monitor only, no home cockpit).  

I am fairly knowledgeable of all the possible components but unfortunately my last build (which cost about $2000 in 2014) provided less than stellar results.  My biggest issue was stuttering and the goal is to eliminate/prevent them as much as possible this next time around.  Any and all recommendations will be much appreciated, thanks!

Waiting always pays. Except, I'm using a computer mostly (besides the video card and additional storage) from 2012. I'm curious to see what Coffee-lake is about. But, I'm also ready to see what I can do with P3Dv4 paired with a monster system.

So, if I had funds and was going to do it right now, it would be something like:

• i7-7830X paired with the Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
  • Corsair Hydro Series H115i Water cooler
  • 2 x Samsung 960 PRO Series - 1TB M.2 drives
  • 2 x WD BAHD 4Tb (big-old-hard-drive)
  • nVidia based EVGA Titan with huge amounts of vram
  • 16Gb x2 of the fastest ram I can find
  • External NAS for backups (not sim related, but I want one)

I guess that's it. I won't even bother totaling this up, as there's no way. But, you asked and here's my answer.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Add two Titan XP's in sli and that's pretty much my dream rig.  I'd do 32GB of 3600 MHz ram because I use xp11

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have just completed my build and here are my spec. Asus formula x MB, I7-8700K , two 1080 ti running in SLI , tow 850 EVO 500 gb ssd, 850 evga PSU , I was afraid that the additional graphic card would be of no significant use at a additional coast of mega bucks, However if you get two cards in your rig and set it up right trust me you wont want to take it out. Yeah this rig is a little over-kill but it is simply the best. The smooth performance well be most mist and the awesome resolution that you simply well not see in one card is just unbelievable. I love it.

On 8/8/2017 at 10:30 AM, ryanbatcund said:

Add two Titan XP's in sli and that's pretty much my dream rig.  I'd do 32GB of 3600 MHz ram because I use xp11

one Titan V or RTX 2080Ti for XP11 last time a run it , it not support SLI 

I have completed my build 2 weeks ago and I can tell you 2 GTX 1080ti running in SLI  dose not scale very well in P3D V4.3. I also included the I7*8700k Processor on the Asus Formula x MB. Overclocking 35 percent , and that didn't seem to do much @ 45 FPS whit Flightbeam KMSP and all the ORBX loaded so I took out one of the cards and got ever higher FPS 70 whit just one of the gtx 1080ti so I guess I well be sending the other card back .Seems there not a whole lot you can do to really help performance in P3DV4.3 perhaps the RTX 2080TI well do something better , But I would not bet on it, and just maybe I have all the p3d can offer.

2 hours ago, HarvettBradford said:

I have completed my build 2 weeks ago and I can tell you 2 GTX 1080ti running in SLI  dose not scale very well in P3D V4.3. I also included the I7*8700k Processor on the Asus Formula x MB. Overclocking 35 percent , and that didn't seem to do much @ 45 FPS whit Flightbeam KMSP and all the ORBX loaded so I took out one of the cards and got ever higher FPS 70 whit just one of the gtx 1080ti so I guess I well be sending the other card back .Seems there not a whole lot you can do to really help performance in P3DV4.3 perhaps the RTX 2080TI well do something better , But I would not bet on it, and just maybe I have all the p3d can offer.

45fps with SLI and 70fps single card? if that is with same settings in NV control panel and P3d-v4.3 someting is wrong with your setup.

to get real benifit of sli is 4k resolution ( 1920x1080 cpu bound with a 1070 no nedd for more gpu power) you need the cpu +5.2ghz and night with DL, in the CPU  bound areas you can loose 1-2 fps as max.

that is how SLI works , but you gain in up to 1,7 times a single card in gpu bound areas.

Is it your first try with SLI?

On 11/10/2018 at 7:10 AM, HarvettBradford said:

Westman , Something is not right whit your set up .

I read somewhere that in p3d one gtx 1080 ti is better than a 1080 ti sli. I’ve got 3 friends that tried the sli in p3d and they got similar results.

Dream Rig? Hummm Unfortunately there's nothing close to a "dream rig" currently available. Maybe in another 8-10 years. 

- Currently, you need a darn good processor such as the I-7 8086k and OC  her to the max with a good motherboard and fast RAM.. Our flight simulation depends primarily on clock speed- everything else is secondary or even comes at 3rd, 4th, or 5th place (well, you get the hint) 

- Secondly P3D will be very happy if you pair such CPU ^ with an Nvida card such as 1080 Ti and above.  (Done) 

-  (Oh, and very important.. don't try maxing P3D settings to the max; it will give you nightmares) 

Good luck 

update 6/20/2019 MY DREAM RIG ,   IT IS THE ONE I AM CURRENTLY USEING .SPECS ARE ASUS EXTREME XI Z390 MOBO I AM STILL ROCKING 2X GTX 1080 TI ABD DOMINATOR 2166 @32 GIGS MY 55IN 60HZ TV IT COULD BE BETTER . BUT THIS IS A BASIC IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE NEAR THIS YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.