Sign in to follow this  
mikeglaz

KORD - KFJK 777 flying west

I setup my flight path with PFPX, my 777 takes off to the west at O'Hare and keeps flying west.  Does anyone know why the first waypoint says VECTORS?kordkjfk.png

Hi,

You must know that there is no SID at KORD. During the clearance, you would be assigned a heading after takeoff and a initial altitude, then once taken off you would be radar vectored to a waypoint of your route.

The first "waypoint" called vectors is there to reflect that. The first heading (whether indicated on the charts or by default the runway heading) is coded in the departure you have chosen in the CDU.

So if you have LNAV armed before takeoff, it will kick in at 400ft and maintain that heading permanently if you don't do anything.

In real life, you would switch to HDG SEL when given vectors from the ATC until you eventually get a direct to once of the waypoint of your route where you would return to LNAV.

Actually you may even not arm LNAV at all and select HDG SEL when passing 400ft with the assigned heading in the MCP box.

In the absence of an ATC, you have to self vector to your route.

• Upvote 5

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

A great reply and explanation, Romain.

You are welcome!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

2 minutes ago, mikeglaz said:

Is there a reason there are no SIDs at KORD?

Probably because there are so many runways in use and the airspace is so busy that SIDs were probably never flown anyway (ATC directing them away). I believe KLAX is also the same. Easier to traffic manage aircraft who take off and fly runway heading then vectoring them, than aircraft following SIDs and trying to monitor them all.

• Upvote 1

ok, so once I vector to the first waypoint, how do I get the autopilot to follow the waypoints?  Turning on the LNAV doesn't seem to work.

4 minutes ago, mikeglaz said:

ok, so once I vector to the first waypoint, do I get the autopilot to follow the waypoints?  Turning on the LNAV doesn't seem to work.

Use heading select to get to the first waypoint, then LNAV from there. 

14 minutes ago, mikeglaz said:

ok, so once I vector to the first waypoint, how do I get the autopilot to follow the waypoints?  Turning on the LNAV doesn't seem to work.

Hi,

You need to enter a direct to the waypoint in the CDU. Go to the leg page, click on the LSK next to the waypoint you want to go to bring it to the scratchpad and then click on the LSK1 on the first page of the leg pages (first waypoint displayed on the leg page) to make the direct.

Execute and you will see the magenta track drawn on the ND to that waypoint. You can then engage LNAV.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

You are welcome!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Our own Kyle did a video on just this subject (well, SIDs/STARs anyway).

You can find it here: 

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/266664-vectors-in-fmc-on-approach/?do=findComment&comment=2925691

But in a nutshell as others have mentioned....If "VECTORS" is the 1st item on your route, you have to either manually fly or use the MCP's Heading Select to "point" your plane to your 2nd waypoint on the FMC (actually its your 1st actual waypoint but the "VECTORS" is occupying that LSK 1...the point the FMC is always flying to). Then as you get near to it, click the LSK 2 that displays that waypoint.  

It goes to the "Scratchpad" at the bottom of the CDU display.

Press the LSK 1 button on the CDU.  

Then white light above the EXE button should illuminate. Press the EXE button to tell the FMC you now want to go direct to that waypoint and continue on your inputted route.

Finally hit the LNAV button and the plane will start turning on to the new magenta line you created.

Now...like everything about learning how to fly an airliner...there are other things you have to take into consideration when doing the steps I show above.

If, for example, the direction to your 1st waypoint after "Vectors" is way off to your left or right (or behind you)....doing the steps will have the aircraft trying to execute a turn that will be too sharp and you'll wind up "Hunting" for the magenta line.  So what you want to do is get your heading (either by hand flying or using the Heading Select button) as close to going DIRECTLY to that waypoint as possible.  Then when you switch to LNAV it will only make small adjustments to get on the magenta line. :biggrin:

I've thoroughly enjoyed learning how to fly them over the years, using these forums for guidance and I've seldom ever left with only the info I was needed.  Frequently, you tend to also get the answers to the next questions you don't even know you'll need to ask....because we've all been there and remember what the next questions we had were...hehe.

Anyway....good luck and let us know how you're getting on with the experience. :wink:

Edited by Steve Dra
Had to update steps

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

14 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Probably because there are so many runways in use and the airspace is so busy that SIDs were probably never flown anyway (ATC directing them away). I believe KLAX is also the same. Easier to traffic manage aircraft who take off and fly runway heading then vectoring them, than aircraft following SIDs and trying to monitor them all.

KLAX Actually has tons of SIDs and they are normally flown right from takeoff. The only time we frequently depart the SID is flying out to the Hawaiian islands where they will usually clear us direct to the first oceanic fix. 

• Upvote 1

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

3 hours ago, Ralgh said:

KLAX Actually has tons of SIDs and they are normally flown right from takeoff. The only time we frequently depart the SID is flying out to the Hawaiian islands where they will usually clear us direct to the first oceanic fix. 

Oh yeah.  I fly out of KLAX all the time...can do the Dotss1 in my sleep, and the Loop8 is really fun.  And fun to watch off the beach at night....watch them head straight out, then "loop" around...hence the name Loop8 I guess.  (Hehe.....just checked its Loop9 now..and  Dotss1 used to be called Holtz. which is now just a waypoint within the Dotss1 SID).

Anyway...LAX has to be one of the best spotting airports in the world...Always a huge variation in airlines/aircraft.  I live close to KDFW....90% of the planes are AA (not that its a bad thing), gets pretty boring after a while though.

And based on your name, I can imagine you're very well received when you visit my hometown. :biggrin:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

9 hours ago, Ralgh said:

Huh I swear last time I flew out of KLAX the first leg was "VECTORS". Maybe it was that particular SID!