Sign in to follow this  
hvw

Wrong Default Transition Altitude in 737-8/900

Although I specified (and saved) in my user-created panel state options (Equipment/Default Trans Alt) that I would like to have this  defaulted to 5000 ft, still the 800/900 neglect this and assumes that the default transition altidute is 18000ft. This undocumented feature only occurs in the P3D version 4 of the 800/900, in P3D version 3 this worked correctly.
What could have gone wrong and how can I correct this?

Thanks,
Hans van Wijhe

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Just now, hvw said:

Although I specified (and saved) in my user-created panel state options (Equipment/Default Trans Alt) that I would like to have this  defaulted to 5000 ft, still the 800/900 neglect this and assumes that the default transition altidute is 18000ft. This undocumented feature only occurs in the P3D version 4 of the 800/900, in P3D version 3 this worked correctly.
What could have gone wrong and how can I correct this?

Thanks,
Hans van Wijhe

Running the sim as admin?

2 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Running the sim as admin?

Yes, all other options are being saved alright, Default Trans Alt being the exception

Hans van Wijhe

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

2 hours ago, hvw said:

Yes, all other options are being saved alright, Default Trans Alt being the exception

Hans van Wijhe

Default panel state will override the default trans alt in the settings.

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

Default panel state will override the default trans alt in the settings.

Yes, but it doesn't do so here, Kyle. I defined the default transition altitude in the used panel state at 5,000ft. I also set this particular panel state as the one to be loaded at 737's startup. In the FMC however,it still is set at 18,000ft. As mentioned, in my P3dv3 in the FMC it also would be set to, in this case, 5,000ft in the FMC, which I think is correct. Any ideas what is going wrong in my P3Dv4 installation?

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

3 minutes ago, hvw said:

Yes, but it doesn't do so here, Kyle. I defined the default transition altitude in the used panel state at 5,000ft. I also set this particular panel state as the one to be loaded at 737's startup. In the FMC however,it still is set at 18,000ft. As mentioned, in my P3dv3 in the FMC it also would be set to, in this case, 5,000ft in the FMC, which I think is correct. Any ideas what is going wrong in my P3Dv4 installation?

Panel state, or the PMDG SETUP> settings for that specific aircraft? These are separate points. Additionally, you're absolutely sure you're running both sims as an admin? What about the panel serialization function in the P3D settings?

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Panel state, or the PMDG SETUP> settings for that specific aircraft? These are separate points. Additionally, you're absolutely sure you're running both sims as an admin? What about the panel serialization function in the P3D settings?

In PMDG SETUP I set it to 5,000ft, saved it, set the corresponding (saved) panel state as the one to be used at this aircraft's startup. And later when programming the FMC this 5,000ft is being overriden for to me no apparant reason and set to 18,000ft. I am running both sims as an admin, very sure about that :) Not sure, though ,what you mean by panel serialization in the P3D settings? As mentioned, all other options that I changed from the NGX DEFAULT panel state to the saved panel state that I used for starting up with the NGX are working as expected. It's only this Default Transition Altitude option that is "acting" up.

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

18 minutes ago, hvw said:

In PMDG SETUP I set it to 5,000ft, saved it, set the corresponding (saved) panel state as the one to be used at this aircraft's startup. And later when programming the FMC this 5,000ft is being overriden for to me no apparant reason and set to 18,000ft. I am running both sims as an admin, very sure about that :) Not sure, though ,what you mean by panel serialization in the P3D settings? As mentioned, all other options that I changed from the NGX DEFAULT panel state to the saved panel state that I used for starting up with the NGX are working as expected. It's only this Default Transition Altitude option that is "acting" up.

Hans,

Let me clarify a bit, because I think we're talking past each other.

If you go into PMDG SETUP> you can set the default transition alt for the specific aircraft. This will save in the aircraft's ini file.

If you look at the DES page for the aircraft you're currently flying, you will note that there's some value there (likely 18000, as you've reported). This is saved into the panel state. Unless you modify the panel state, it will always override the aircraft's specific default.

In other words, no matter how many times you set the default transition alt for the specific aircraft, the panel state will always override it. In order for the value to not be overridden, you need a panel state with that value saved into it, or you need to load without a default panel state. So, instead of setting it in PMDG SETUP>, set the value on the DES FORECAST page, and overwrite your panel state.

Kyle Rodgers

58 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Hans,

Let me clarify a bit, because I think we're talking past each other.

If you go into PMDG SETUP> you can set the default transition alt for the specific aircraft. This will save in the aircraft's ini file.

If you look at the DES page for the aircraft you're currently flying, you will note that there's some value there (likely 18000, as you've reported). This is saved into the panel state. Unless you modify the panel state, it will always override the aircraft's specific default.

In other words, no matter how many times you set the default transition alt for the specific aircraft, the panel state will always override it. In order for the value to not be overridden, you need a panel state with that value saved into it, or you need to load without a default panel state. So, instead of setting it in PMDG SETUP>, set the value on the DES FORECAST page, and overwrite your panel state.

Kyle,

I should have been more specific, sorry for confusing you. I am referring to the ACT PERF INIT page where the trans altitude, no matter what was defined in the pmdg setup, is being reset to 18,000ft. Hope I made it a bit clearer for you now. I tried to attach screen shots but wasn't succeful.

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

6 minutes ago, hvw said:

I should have been more specific, sorry for confusing you. I am referring to the ACT PERF INIT page where the trans altitude, no matter what was defined in the pmdg setup, is being reset to 18,000ft. Hope I made it a bit clearer for you now. I tried to attach screen shots but wasn't succeful.

Not what I'm seeing on my machine. When you modified the ACT PERF INIT page, did you save the panel state post-modification?

Kyle Rodgers

4 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Not what I'm seeing on my machine. When you modified the ACT PERF INIT page, did you save the panel state post-modification?

No, I didn't.

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

15 hours ago, hvw said:

No, I didn't.

That's why. As mentioned, the panel state will override the other setting. If you don't save it into the panel state, the 18000 in the panel state you're using will always come back.

Kyle Rodgers

55 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

That's why. As mentioned, the panel state will override the other setting. If you don't save it into the panel state, the 18000 in the panel state you're using will always come back.

I assumed that the settings in PMDG SETUP were presets and would be used in the flight yet to be made. Funnily enough it worked as I expected it would in P3Dv3, but now I am beginning to doubt my memory :) Perhaps I did save it as described by you in the previous (P3Dv3) version. Thanks for your assitance, Kyle, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

16 minutes ago, hvw said:

I assumed that the settings in PMDG SETUP were presets and would be used in the flight yet to be made. Funnily enough it worked as I expected it would in P3Dv3, but now I am beginning to doubt my memory :) Perhaps I did save it as described by you in the previous (P3Dv3) version. Thanks for your assitance, Kyle, much appreciated.

Welcome!

Kyle Rodgers

I don't know why this option is available because it doesn't work in the way it seems it should. Far better to tell people to use a panel state save and ignore the CDU option. Better still remove it as it is the panel state which determines the TA and TL. 

ki9cAAb.jpg