Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

Comments regarding DC-6 Pop-ups

I have been flying the Cloudmaster  now for the past three days.  Most of my time has been buried in the documentation.  I have pretty much finished my checklist and have spent my time flying out of KBOI and shooting ILS approaches.  My first comment is that this simulation hand flys as smooth as can be. So far, my main negative comment is in regards to the auto-pilot (AP).  Actually, I'm not complaining about the actual AP.  It all works fine.  My main problem is getting to it.  I fly with three WS monitors.  I would give anything to have a pop-up of the pedestal.  Now, it seems the only way to look at the AP, the gear and flap handles, etc., is to use my hat switch to go down there.  Then, you need to keep seeing the basic flight instruments to be able to lead the AP so you roll out on the proper heading, altitude, etc.. Also, you have to wait to move the AP Mode Selector when the loc and GS needles start to move.  So, I'm getting vertigo moving my head up and down with the hat switch.  PMDG - Please give me a pop-up of the pedestal I can move to another monitor. You put more modern radios in, even allowed us to remove the old ones.  So, the popup seam's the easiest solution for you.  Finally, I have noted that in the new views drop down you can open the pedestal window.  I have tried to move that to another monitor and use it in some way, but can't seem to do anything with it.  I'm getting ready to fly my first Radar Contact IFR cross country.  It should be a hand full if I want to use the AP. 

Mike Nicholson

Edited by Thunderbolt44
forgot my name
  • Upvote 1

I think a better solution is just more shortcut keys.  We have one for the AP (realistic and not), plus one for engaging the alt hold, plus the switch between heading mode and GPS but what would really help is a button to move the turn dial left and right as well as a second shortcut key for engaging both parts of the autopilot in realistic mode.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I agree, its very difficult to handle the AP, looking at the OBS, move the heading bug and use the Autopilot Turn Knob to coordinate turns. I agree with Mark, more shortcut keys would be the solution. To me, the best would be hardware turning knob to mimic the Autopilot Turn knob operation, but that could be done if we had these shortcuts.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Use the key commands, and/or use spacebar+mouse. It's really not that tough, particularly if you're properly trimming the aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Use the key commands, and/or use spacebar+mouse. It's really not that tough, particularly if you're properly trimming the aircraft.

Not always easy if your flying with weather or over mountains. You think your trimmed, look down or change views to turn on the gyros, look up and your in a steep climb or decent. Especially if you have to zoom in to find the keys. We're just spoiled by our modern jets I guess. Shoot, a man had to have hair to fly those old birds. 

Vic green

I already have numerous shortcuts both on my joystick and Logitech Gaming Pad.  Relying only on key commands for the Cloudmaster is not the answer.  In most other sim aircraft, if you use a key command, you have some visual view on the panel, like either a gauge, switch or handle, which gives you a visual confirmation that your key action can be verified with.  PMDG, what is the problem with a pop-up?  You've got them in all your other aircraft.  One other solution might be to Install an AP mode controller, the old FSX mode selector would be great.  PMDG put modern radios in this sim,, why not put the FSX selector in too.  Of course, you could make it a pop-up and then people that didn't want to use it wouldn't have to.  I will say the AP functions quite well.  The only problem, other than having to stand on my head to use it, is so far it has not tracked the GS well (2 dots off would normally call for a go around; however, it is very realistic,smooth and easy to just hand fly the approach.  Take care, Mike Nicholson

PS:  Kyle Rogers, does the Captain (the Boss) look at these threads?

7 hours ago, Thunderbolt44 said:

Occasionally.

Kyle Rodgers

9 hours ago, Thunderbolt44 said:

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Occasionally.

I thought Kyle was the forum Overlord :ph34r:

On 7/30/2017 at 8:24 AM, PMDG777 said:

I thought Kyle was the forum Overlord :ph34r:

Nope. Just the occasional wielder of Mjølner.

Kyle Rodgers