Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan93102

KERNELBASE.dll Crash to Desktop

Hello all,

I updated my PMDG products yesterday to the latest version. I've been flying the PMDG 747 today in Prepar3D V4 and keep getting crash to desktop errors when I minimize P3D. When I check the Event Viewer it says its related to something called KERNELBASE.dll. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues?

I didn't have any problems before updating the 747 yesterday. 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Below is the log from Event Viewer:-

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.0.28.21686, time stamp: 0x594a7255
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.15063.483, time stamp: 0xaa6457d1
Exception code: 0xc0020001
Fault offset: 0x0000000000069e08
Faulting process ID: 0x2164
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3088d03dc64fb
Faulting application path: F:\Prepar3D\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: cedbe8ce-36ae-48c9-920d-554a59904493
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks for your time,

Jonathan

- Jonathan Daley

11 minutes ago, Jonathan93102 said:

I updated my PMDG products yesterday to the latest version. I've been flying the PMDG 747 today in Prepar3D V4 and keep getting crash to desktop errors when I minimize P3D. When I check the Event Viewer it says its related to something called KERNELBASE.dll. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues?

While it may only be happening with our aircraft, this is usually the result of system instability - an unstable overclock, as an example - as the faulting module isn't ours. Rather, it's a default Win module.

Try the suggestions in the AVSIM CTD guide:

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

3 hours ago, Jonathan93102 said:

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

The kernel is literally the heart of the operating system.  I think most of the time the problem is the video driver or its installation.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

If you Google the exception code, you will find that it's not related to system stability or video driver issues. It's related to native code calling into managed code. Whether this is caused by P3D itself or the PMDG dll remains the question.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

16 minutes ago, mawibo said:

If you Google the exception code, you will find that it's not related to system stability or video driver issues. It's related to native code calling into managed code. Whether this is caused by P3D itself or the PMDG dll remains the question.

...which doesn't account for the fact that I can run an overclock on this machine that I know to be unstable, and run just about any heavy-hitting program (the sim or other games) and get a kernelbase.dll error.

Google is great, except if you Google "flat earth," you may quickly come to the idea that the earth is flat if you don't add in some of your own experience, or knowledge.

• Like 2

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

That's unnecessarily rude. You are not the only one with knowledge and experience. There's not just one kernelbase.dll error. If you have an unstable overclock, you will probably get kernelbase.dll errors, but not this one.

Maarten

20 minutes ago, mawibo said:

That's unnecessarily rude. You are not the only one with knowledge and experience. There's not just one kernelbase.dll error. If you have an unstable overclock, you will probably get kernelbase.dll errors, but not this one.

It's not rude at all. It's the truth: unstable OCs often result in KB.dll errors. I know this for absolute fact because I can reliably cause one, and we see it all the time in the support queue. I don't see any evidence in his original post, or any of your follow ups to counter that, or offer up any other information, other than a vague finger point to other developers (which subverts the troubleshooting process because the OP is the absolved of all action on his own end to attempt to solve any local issues, which there may very well be).

Regarding the flat earth comment, it's also the truth: google info is great, but you have to evaluate the results in the context of your own personal knowledge. I offered it up as a counter argument against your point that google results state X. You offered no information about your own personal knowledge about the topic, so I have to assume no base knowledge.

If I assumed everyone had a heaping mass of base knowledge, troubleshooting wouldn't go anywhere.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

Sorry, but I find it very disrespectful to assume that everyone visiting this forum has no basic knowledge. There's no evidence that the OP is suffering from an unstable overclock. Enough said. I rest my case.

Maarten

57 minutes ago, mawibo said:

Kyle,

Sorry, but I find it very disrespectful to assume that everyone visiting this forum has no basic knowledge. There's no evidence that the OP is suffering from an unstable overclock. Enough said. I rest my case.

Maarten

When you go to a car dealer to get your car fixed, they straight away assume you don't know anything about cars. When you then show that you know a bit more, they go further. In any technical situation, you always have to assume you're addressing people who have no knowledge on the topic. It's better to give people more information, some of which they know, than too little information and have people scratching their heads.

If someone makes a vague posting on the forums, the PMDG guys have no real option but to assume that they need to break it down and assume no knowledge. If someone makes a detailed post with things they have tried so far etc., they can assume that they have some knowledge. 

Thanks for your efforts guys. Could some one with the authority please delete this thread please. Whilst I appreciate your support and help with troubleshooting I don't want fellow members arguing over it. 

Thanks for your time, 

Jonathan 

• Upvote 1

- Jonathan Daley

8 hours ago, mawibo said:

Hi,

Maarten

In my experience and research, the access violation error can be caught by the OS after an application has already started crashing and a few modules left behind are trying to do a perfectly acceptable process but the memory allocation is already gone. This happens often with ntdll and kernel events.  It the error report can only provide clues... a programmer uses those clues to help begin the sometime lengthy process of figuring out what the problem it.

I had a kernel error about 18 mos ago that had about the same error event signature.  It took days to figure out that it was a problem with the nvidia driver that I found discussed online at a site long forgotten.  The fix was to remove the driver and restart Windows in safe mode, then in safe mode remove all nvidia folders and files.  There are a few files you cannot remove unless it is in safe mode.  Then reboot back to normal and install a known good video driver.  I guess sometimes with driver updates there are leftovers from prior versions that can cause problems.  In my case, and probably not in yours, this was the solution to my problem

I do know that it is cause by something that interacts with the OS at the very lowest levels.  PMDG doesn't do that, all code is managed by the Visual Studio C++ runtime module, not even P3D does that I think.... you are looking for something like a driver.

And a little advice, when you ask for advice in a forum don't judge it.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 7/30/2017 at 7:40 AM, mawibo said:

Sorry, but I find it very disrespectful to assume that everyone visiting this forum has no basic knowledge.

Work tech support for even a cursory amount of time and you'll see that even experienced people make 'dumb' mistakes. As such, you have to assume no knowledge. If you assume knowledge, or assume someone already checked something, then you're doing everyone a disservice because you're skipping over the simple things. Seriously, I've been in the company chat and have asked "why is X doing Y," and they all sit there dumbfounded and suggest - even to me, who should know better - the simplest thing first. Why? Because everyone, no matter how much experience, is capable of overlooking the simplest things. As such, you have to start from nothing - no knowledge. You're welcome to take offense to a benign comment, but that's your choice and yours alone. I can't be held responsible for that.

On 7/30/2017 at 7:40 AM, mawibo said:

There's no evidence that the OP is suffering from an unstable overclock. Enough said. I rest my case.

Apart from the error that commonly follows an unstable overclock? Sure. Does it prove an unstable OC? No. The presence of the error, however, means that it's possible. As you've noted, a google search returns a number of possibilities. Pertaining to the sim, however, as I've mentioned (and Dan has, as well): usually unstable OCs or driver issues. Usually...

When it comes to troubleshooting, you start somewhere and work from there. As such, the question of "are you overclocking" is rather simple, and requires only a yes or no response from the individual requesting support. It is unnecessary for those uninvolved to jump in and critique the question...particularly if they're not offering support on their own. If you want to help out here, then by all means. If you're just going to question my attempts to help someone, then don't be surprised if I fire a shot across your bow...particularly if I have the facts to back my assertion up.

As you can see, the OP has requested that the thread be removed because you jumped in and derailed the conversation - unnecessarily, I might add - and also incorrectly. Google the dll and 'overclock' and you'll see a number of correlated reports. So...do you have anything of substance to add to the conversation, or do you just want to take shots at what I'm suggesting? The former is productive. The latter, as we can all see, is completely unproductive, and has caused the OP to give up on this thread. Rather unnecessary and unfortunate, if you ask me...

Kyle Rodgers