Sign in to follow this  
redhead66

Reinstall Win 10 and then FSX

After about two years of using FSX it started having Stack Hash errors so I decided that after a lot of messing about I would do reinstall.  For a completely new start I did a reset of Win 10 version 1703 build 15063.483 not keeping any of the old programmes or files.  When I try to install FSX (De Luxe) version it gets almost to the end of disk two and gets a fatal error 1603/1722.  I have tried several installs with the same results.  Also I have tried several workarounds none of which fix the problem, which I can see from several websites is not uncommon. I am installing on a dedicated SSD recently formatted with nothing but the FSX folder that I created.  Even the MIcrosoft support fixes do not work!

My computer is quite high spec

Intel Core i7 4790k  Ge Force GTX 970.

Never had this problem before.  I wonder whether anyone has a real fix that works.

Appreciate any help from the community.

Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

Perhaps running the installer program as admin or in a compatibility mode?

Bob, I'm not convinced FSX will play nicely with Win 10, I may be wrong. If you are doing a complete reinstall, why not move to P3D, which is far more likely to work better with Win10. It would make sense too. :biggrin:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks to both for your input.  I am tempted to move to P3D  but just need a little more pushing, maybe a xmas present to myself coming up.  if you see what I mean.  I have just done another reinstall of FSX  and this time it went through successfully.  For anyone who may have similar problems as I had here is what I did:

1) Clean reinstall of Win 10 1703, but instead of using the built in Microsoft reset function I downloaded the ISO from microsoft using their installer tool to USB and did the install keeping nothing     option.

2)   When I ran the setup from FSX Disk 1 I made sure that I did so as administrator.

Not sure which of these steps made the difference but one of them sure did.

I have to say that I have run FSX without problems for about two years previously on Win 10

What a relief to get it on the computer,don't want to lose any more hair!

Thanks again for your interest.

Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

See page 27 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  Download and install the version of the uiautomationcore.dll and place it in your main fsx folder.  I recently moved to Windows 10 and installed FSX and had problems starting up FSX (nothing else installed; just default FSX).  I installed this version of the uiautomationcore.dll and FSX started up normally.  I had installed FSX/Acceleration with Admin privileges and to my G drive (not the default folder).  FSX has been running great since.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim

I Use the guide a lot and have already installed the uiautomationcore.dll in the FSX folder.  I also have FSX on a dedicated SSD drive. (D)  I do have other FSX related programmes on it like ASN ProATX etc.  I have another Seagate 1000GB SSHD (E) drive which I use for storage.  Win 10 is on the C drive which is 250 GB SSD.  In my last install of FSX i had created an Addon Scenery folder on the E drive drive and of course pointed FSX to this folder.  I was wondering  with my new WIn 10 and FSX install if this is the best idea or would you use the Addon Scenery folder in FSX for all your addons?

Thanks for your interest.  I don't know what we would do without AVSIM!

Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

I would definitely run anything FSX related off the SSD, unless you prefer or don't mind eventual long loading times.

3 hours ago, redhead66 said:

I don't know what we would do without AVSIM!

Thanks for the kind comments!  For FSX, you should install outside of the FSX directory and I would not recommend using the Addon Scenery Folder.  FSDT/FlightBeam/Orbx/FTX will install in the main FSX directory and that's okay if you have the space.  But I have all of my add-ons located outside of the FSX directory on an SSD.  Just direct any addon installer to another drive and stay out of the add-on scenery folder.  VeryBumpy is correct in regards to having FSX on an SSD but it only provides faster loading/startups.  During a flight session, there is no noticeable increase in performance.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 7/30/2017 at 5:36 AM, Rockliffe said:

Bob, I'm not convinced FSX will play nicely with Win 10, I may be wrong. If you are doing a complete reinstall, why not move to P3D, which is far more likely to work better with Win10. It would make sense too. :biggrin:

Just one guys opinion, but I find that FSX works just fine with Windows 10. I have a Windows 7/10 dual boot with FSX installed on both partitions and I see absolutely no difference in either functionality or performance. Of course...all mileage is variable.........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

Just one guys opinion, but I find that FSX works just fine with Windows 10.

+1. I previously ran it in Win7 and now have no problems whatsoever running in Win10. 

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 03/08/2017 at 2:45 AM, W2DR said:

Just one guys opinion, but I find that FSX works just fine with Windows 10. I have a Windows 7/10 dual boot with FSX installed on both partitions and I see absolutely no difference in either functionality or performance. Of course...all mileage is variable.........Doug

On 03/08/2017 at 11:10 AM, vortex681 said:

+1. I previously ran it in Win7 and now have no problems whatsoever running in Win10. 

Ah, OK, then that's helpful to know. Maybe I too will jump to Win 10 when I go to P3Dv4 in the next month or so.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Ah, OK, then that's helpful to know. Maybe I too will jump to Win 10 when I go to P3Dv4 in the next month or so.

I also have P3Dv4 on both partitions of the dual boot and, like FSX, It's all working fine. BUT...before you jump to WIndows 10 you may need to look at the compatibility of all the non-flightsim applications as some of them may not work or at least some may need an upgrade. That's why I setup the dual boot. Dual booting is a really simple process to get going and I'd consider it if you have a lot of older "stuff" that you just can't live without..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

I also have P3Dv4 on both partitions of the dual boot and, like FSX, It's all working fine. BUT...before you jump to WIndows 10 you may need to look at the compatibility of all the non-flightsim applications as some of them may not work or at least some may need an upgrade. That's why I setup the dual boot. Dual booting is a really simple process to get going and I'd consider it if you have a lot of older "stuff" that you just can't live without..........Doug

Thanks for the advice. When you say non-flightsim applications that isn't really an issue for me, as I run a dedicated sim rig. :smile: Cheers

Howard