Sign in to follow this  
Guest koorby

Thank you Koorby. My FPS are much better!

Guest 3202b

From wikipedia:Video systems frequently use a more complex approach referred to as interlaced video. Broadcast television systems such as NTSC, PAL, and SECAM produce an image using two passes called fields. Each field contains half of the lines in a complete frame (the odd-numbered lines or the even-numbered lines). Thus, while only using the bandwidth of 25 or 30 complete frames per second, they achieve a flicker fusion frequency of 50 or 60 Hz, at the expense of some vertical judder and additional system complexity.What you are saying in your post is exactly what I am pointing out - that FPS in games is very different than film and video where the 'end display rate' appears much higher than it actually is because of the interlacing process and in film the double flash (where one frame is shown twice)& blurring effect that eliminates any flicker phenomenon.A site describing how blurring eliminates the flicker phenomenon.http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Guest JTEK99

>1. ATI cards don't have a sharpness setting in their control>panel (I believe - been a while since I owned my 9800) - it's>strictly an nVidia thing and comes with a caveat; it does eat>frames a little :)Koorby:Following this thread with interest. Annoying (and likely ignorant on my part), but where is this "sharpness" setting in the NVidia control applet? It's not in a single menu item anywhere; I'm currently using the 81.33 drivers and can't find it.Any pointers on where I might find this? Or is "sharpness" simply a simplified term for Anti-Aliasing? Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again for all your thoughts in the thread.

Guest 3202b

I never said film was interlaced, I said it was blurred or double flashed (where 1 frame is shown twice)

If you have Active Sky, you can set maximum visibility to your liking there. Mine's set to 30 miles.

It probably is correct that required FPS for FS can only be determined by looking at FS, not comparing to other media. In particular, film is not a good comparison. Because of finite exposure speed for each film frame, moving subjects exhibit motion blur. Motion blur helps the eye smooth out the motion effect over frames. In the early days of cinema, 24 FPS was an approximate speed that allowed adequate exposure times without excessive lighting. Prior to on-film sound tracks, stationary subjects were actually filmed at slower speeds to allow greater exposure times and /or reduced lighting. The projectionist would use cue sheets and a speedometer (in feet of film / minute) to recreate the original (at this time projectionists were considered artists).Computer games generally do not simulate motion blur for moving subjects. Instead, higher frame rates are used to reduce the apparent change in position of a moving subject between frames.scott s..

Guest SimDog

When television was first developed, the phosphor on the inside of the picture tube would not glow very long when scanned by the picture tubes electron beam. To ensure a full picture was displayed before the top started to fade, a line was scanned and a line was skipped. This allowed the beam to trace from top to bottom without the picture fading. After the first scan, the beam would start at the top again but start scanning at the second scan line then skip a line until the bottom. By interlacing the two separate scans together you would get a full picture without fading. This is opposed to progressive scanning where each line is scanned one after the other without skipping any.Interlacing is still a hold over from the early days of television. Computer monitors use progressive as do some newer high definition televisions but most US televisions still use interlaced scanning.Not sure how this helps the discussion but . . . .SD

Guest koorby

>>1. ATI cards don't have a sharpness setting in their>control>>panel (I believe - been a while since I owned my 9800) ->it's>>strictly an nVidia thing and comes with a caveat; it does>eat>>frames a little :)>>Koorby:>>Following this thread with interest. Annoying (and likely>ignorant on my part), but where is this "sharpness" setting in>the NVidia control applet? It's not in a single menu item>anywhere; I'm currently using the 81.33 drivers and can't find>it.>>Any pointers on where I might find this? Or is "sharpness">simply a simplified term for Anti-Aliasing? Any info would be>greatly appreciated.>>Thanks again for all your thoughts in the thread.Here's where I adjust it, under Color Correction:http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/koorby/nvidapanel.jpg

Onya Koorbs, thanks for the advice. It has been a great help.CheersChris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Guest Dasher7

Yeah, I agree, the overall effect of Koorby's cfg gave me some smoothness and FPS, even while keeping my clouds at 100% 3D. (Will probably skip the sharpen too, once I've tried it out for a while, since I need to get true visuals when working with textures and photos in general.) So, when I look to one side and at times the textures take a sec to sharpen up, should I increase texture bandwidth? (I mean, they look like an interlaced .jpg loading.)Cheers,-dasher7

An important part of this for me -- overlooked in this lively discussion:) -- is the use of FSAutoStart. Since this was the only 'tweak' mentioned which I hadn't tried before, it was time to give it a go. Very nice. I've been experimenting with FS videos, and this is the first time I've been able to get 'acceptable' video recordings on my old system. Not up to other standards, because my system is 3 years old, but it has some life left in it yet...Here's the video, for those interested -- a short copter flight over my 'Real New Zealand Tauranga Airport'. 16MB!www.windowlight.co.nz/files/tauranga.wmvVisit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=

Guest smithcorp

Nice video - thanks. Late last year I spent a very pleasant couple of hours at Tauranga airport watching GA aircraft, while waiting for my flight to Auckland. It was warm and clear, birds were tweeting and cessnas were doing touch and goes. Lovely. There was also an R22 that was wheeled out and went for a flight from the hangars to the right of the terminal buildings!And flying last night with Koorby's tips was smoother and prettier, though I still can't find where to set visibility through the weather dialogue as Koorby's attachment shows. I can't work out how i get to that screen (I'm a bit of a newbie with FS9).smith