Sign in to follow this  
jjf

Fuelling and stabiliser setting

Hello,

On stand at CYVR fuelling for a trip to RCTP. Planned fuel load was ~154,000 kg, and I was using ground services for fuelling. Ground contacted to inform me that, for this fuel loading to start, the stabiliser needed to be set to 6, and I followed his request to pressurise hydraulics 2&3 and then I set stabiliser to 6 as requested, and the captain's voice confirmed it was set to 6, then I depressurised 2&3 hydraulics. After a couple of minutes he requested the same thing, even though the stabiliser was set to 6 already, and fuelling did not commence. Not sure what I did wrong though.

51 minutes ago, jjf said:

After a couple of minutes he requested the same thing, even though the stabiliser was set to 6 already, and fuelling did not commence. Not sure what I did wrong though.

You sure you set it at 6 or below, and it wasn't sitting at just above 6?

Kyle Rodgers

Ground contacted to inform me that, for this fuel loading to start, the stabiliser needed to be set to 6, and I followed his request to pressurise hydraulics 2&3 and then I set stabiliser to 6 as requested, and the captain's voice confirmed it was set to 6, then I depressurised 2&3 hydraulics.

According to my training notes, on earlier 744's, the stabiliser must be between 5 and 7 units. On later aircraft the stabiliser position sensing switches were removed and fuelling could be carried out with the horizontal stabiliser at any angle.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

9 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

According to my training notes, on earlier 744's, the stabiliser must be between 5 and 7 units. On later aircraft the stabiliser position sensing switches were removed and fuelling could be carried out with the horizontal stabiliser at any angle.

I thought that setting ensured that the maximum amount of fuel could be carried in the stab trim tank, why remove the sensors?

12 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

You sure you set it at 6 or below, and it wasn't sitting at just above 6?

Yes, sure it was 6

On 31/07/2017 at 7:48 AM, tcas_climb said:

I thought that setting ensured that the maximum amount of fuel could be carried in the stab trim tank, why remove the sensors?

Why indeed :D

My notes didn't say.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

4 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

Why indeed :D

My notes didn't say.

It was determined, after a few delays due to switch failure, and a bit more 744 operational service experience, that the hori stab position, including outside of 5 or 7 units, had no affect on FQIS accuracy during refuelling. For these two reasons, the stab fuelling lockout circuit was deactivated/removed. The mod was offered to operators in the 90's with no time limit to incorporate.

Brian Nellis