Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

What is NOT modelled in FS?

I have noticed that certain things, although called for in checklists, don't seem to do much. For example, fuel boost pumps and fuel primers. They do seem to have effects on certain gauges - but I have never known an a/c to refuse to start because I haven't used the primer.Ther are also other things like carb heat, pitot heat etc, that I have never used in 3 years of Simming.So what are your experiences in this. It would be great to have an a/c that had systems that worked as in RL.Barry

You should better be using pitot heat in icing conditions or your pitot probe will freeze up and you will have a malfunctioning airspeed indicator with either no indication or vastly wrong indications. This is actually modeled in FS.

Guest Vilk

VOTARCALATC IQ > 12swooning ladiesmedical examsknowledge and time requirementsladies who couldn't care lessand that they-can-kiss-my-back feeling when you're up there

Good - first non-smart arse answer. Pitot heat. Probably because I have never flown in freezing conditions (as far as I know) , I have never had to turn the pitot heat on and have never experienced the ASI fluctuating.Thanks Barry

Guest Vilk

hmmm... not to your question, is it? :-)anyway, sorry to disappoint. no offense meant. i actually wanted to say something quite serious through my s.a. answer ;-)oink oinkvilk

As far as I remember it will just drop to zero instantly - wonder if that would be realistic behavior.But I also really hope things you mention will be modeled in the future, maybe even in FSX. Also the fact that weather conditions have an influence to how long the engine needs to start up etc... Would be cool to see that modelled.

Hi,It depends on the panel programmer if those items have any effect on engine starting, etc. MS codes all their default panels to start up the engines no matter the settings, since they would get inundated with support calls from newbies if they didn't. However, for example the FSDZigns 049 Connie will not start up if the engine is cold and you do not flick the Primer. You also have to have the fuel pumps on as well.Keep in mind there is often no way for a panel programmer to prevent an engine from starting if the user uses the keyboard to start them up (i.e. Ctrl E or M+++), other than cutting the fuel supply. This then leads to swarms of support requests since they can't get the engines to start without actually reading the manual. In my panels I just let them...Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

The pitot heat has been covered. The boost pump in something such as a Cessna 172, or Piper Archer is secondary to the engines mechanical pump. The engine's mechanical pump would have to fail, in order to really require the boost pump. And that's the reason you use the boost pump for takeoffs; in case the mechanical one fails. Boost pumps might also supply pressurized fuel to a priming system.FWIW, airplanes with fuel injection, such as the 172SP, use boost pumps with a higher pressure rating, than those with carbed engines, but that's another classroom lesson.Priming systems are not a requirement to start. Most small aircraft engines will start one way or another without it. It's all going to vary with temperature, use of pre-heating, etc.As to carb heat, it's only going to matter if ice does actually form. I've known many pilots who have never needed to use it. I haven't either. And last year, we flew a lot of winter mountain flights, where the outside temp was -6 F, but sunny skies. Some have used partial carb heat if they have a carb inlet temp. gauge, but as a general rule, it's left off, unless ice is evident.L.Adamson

Vilk, Forgive my ignorance. What are you talking about?:-)

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Guest Rockcliffe

There are some things that aren't modelled, but I do them anyway, just for the 'as real as it gets' feeling. Does it really matter if I switch off the air conditioning before takeoff for added power? I don't think so. What about arming the emergency lights? No, but it does add to the immersion factor to run through it on the checklist.And in Stellan Hilmerby's DC9 panel, for one, you had better turn on the windshield heater or you won't be seeing very much as you climb.And Barry, if you have never had to use pitot heat, you should come up to Canada to fly once in a while ;-)Regards,BlairCYOW

Guest Vilk

VOT is a VOR test facility--allows to make sure your VOR equipment performs up to standardARCAL are pilot-controlled airport lights, something along these lines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_Controlled_Lightingthe canned ATC rarely knows what they want, let alone what you want :-)the remaining points were actually more interesting. for a home PC-based, popular-appeal flight simulator, FS9 is pretty much "there". when i consider some of the available add-ons, i cannot think of many radical improvements that could be made to it. what i'm thinking of is an "aviation simulator"now a personal file with a medical history, licensing system that allows flying specific types of aircraft, otherwise unavailable, real-life theory exams, license conversion when you move to another country, career path, operators, logbooks, maintenance or rental bills for private pilots, aviation stores, budgeting, lesson and rental bookings, clubs and associations... you can keep adding to the list all night. all of these are relatively easy to program: no flight models, no graphics to speak of, just solid object and data models and a half-decent GUIto use a combat sim simile, FS9 is great on tactics--i'd love to see some strategy :-)i know it's there, in the future. i'm just very impatient :-)

Guest Rockcliffe

Bill Lyon's Piper Apache included ARCAL lighting at the private airstrip in Minnesota. It's activated by tuning the ADF to a certain frequency. Quite cool.

Guest Vilk

hey, i stopped at rockcliffe a couple of weeks ago, driving through ottawa, tried to rent something, but it was the first flyable day in a while and they were fully booked... so i went to the museum instead :-)cheersps. yup, i know about the apache. thanks

Even if some feature is IN (like carb. heat) it does NOT mean it is actually modelled with any degree of realism. It may be modelled crudely because the details were overlooked or simply because it would take enormous amount of time to do it right.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Vilk,Thank you for the explanation. I agree, the future holds lots of good stuff as this hobby is just getting better over time. Personally, I am looking most forward to the swooning ladies you mentioned. Yahoo! Can't wait.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument