Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

What is NOT modelled in FS?

I have NEVER seen a model with emergency slides that deploy. Now that would be nice...

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

Jordan Moore's Bell 412 has deployable buoys for water landings...I know that airports dont have properly functioning pushback trucks...closest thing is the LevelD 767 has a ground contact unit where you can ask them to pushback, connect APU, etc...FS doesnt have macro cyclonic movement (Hurricanes, Tornados, etc) which would provide some interesting sorties...

Hi Vilk That's OK - of course there are things in Fsim that are not modelled in real life - such as my ability to hit pause while I am flying and go get another beer. :-lol Barry

>And Barry, if you have never had to use pitot heat, you should>come up to Canada to fly once in a while ;-) Nah - I fly around the Gold Coast in Australia - nightime temperatures plummet to around 15C in the very depths of winter here. Sometimes I even have to put on long pants in winter- but only if I am going outside for a bar-b-que at night. Barry

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

>The pitot heat has been covered. The boost pump in something>such as a Cessna 172, or Piper Archer is secondary to the>engines mechanical pump. The engine's mechanical pump would>have to fail, in order to really require the boost pump. And>that's the reason you use the boost pump for takeoffs; in case>the mechanical one fails. Boost pumps might also supply>pressurized fuel to a priming system.>>FWIW, airplanes with fuel injection, such as the 172SP, use>boost pumps with a higher pressure rating, than those with>carbed engines, but that's another classroom lesson.>>Priming systems are not a requirement to start. Most small>aircraft engines will start one way or another without it.>It's all going to vary with temperature, use of pre-heating,>etc.>>As to carb heat, it's only going to matter if ice does>actually form. I've known many pilots who have never needed to>use it. I haven't either. And last year, we flew a lot of>winter mountain flights, where the outside temp was -6 F, but>sunny skies. Some have used partial carb heat if they have a>carb inlet temp. gauge, but as a general rule, it's left off,>unless ice is evident.>>L.Adamson Hello, Wow that is wild... I remember back in the day about 12 yrs ago when I was flying my flight Instructor always insisted on turning on the Carb Heat when on the descent to land no matter what the weather... Happy Landings, Josh

Guest Kingair315

Your realism setting may be set too low.

I can think of lots of things that are not modelled...or at least need to be closer...Here is a subtle one I haven't seen mentioned that should be easy to fix in the next version of fs-when you tune in Atis in the real world it starts not like FS-automatically at the beginning-but where ever in the repeating tape sequence it happens to be....a small one I haven't ever seen mentioned... :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest Adverse Yawn

One of my many gripes is the way the pitot freezes. It is possible that in real life it will freeze the pressure into the tube so the airspeed gets stuck at cruise speed. In the meantime, because of unnoticed wing ice you are approaching the stall. In FS the speed just drops to zero, obvious and almost worthless because of it IMHO.Also, the pitot freezes even when you are not in cloud. Not the way it happens. No visible moisture, no ice (except for hoar frost, again not modelled).

Wow that is wild... I remember back in>the day about 12 yrs ago when I was flying my flight>Instructor always insisted on turning on the Carb Heat when on>the descent to land no matter what the weather...>Do a search on "carb heat", and you'll see as many opinions as what causes lift. :)For instance, take a Piper with a Lycoming, which has the carb mounted to the oil sump, which pre-heats the air a bit, and compare to an older Cessna with a Continental that doesn't pre-heat.That's why the POH for the Cessna say's carb heat on the approach, and the Piper POH says "if required". Piper even warns, that sometimes it's not a good thing, due to possbile pre-dentination in the cylinders.Since I was a fan of Pipers during training, and lived in a high altitude mountainous area, where the risk of leaving carb heat on in a Lycoming Piper during a go-around could cause a needed power loss..... I don't use carb heat for landing.......period, unless the POH says too!However, many instructors and pilots who grew up with older Cessna's, still insist on carb heat for "any landing" sequence with a carbed aircraft, even if they don't know why...L.Adamsonedit: an yes, in the older Cessna's, carb heat is "precautionary", and you DO pull it, as part of the landing check list. The newer Cessna has a fuel injected engine with no carb. And then of course, even with the Pipers, we pull carb heat on and off, with the takeoff checklist to make sure it's functional.

Its good to know that a good panel programmer is in charge of properstartup procedures. I used to have the 'Fly!' sim and I enjoyed theway you had to flip the right switches in the right order and pay attentionto mixture and cabin pressure.I for one have discovered that I'm looking for more realism but not toomuch realism. I'm counting on FSX to have better landclass and mesh.I think active sky will still be a needed component for some time.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Guest Adverse Yawn

>>I don't use carb heat for landing.......period, unless the POH says >>too!I tend to agree. A point on the variety, many of the old A65 motored aircraft like the Cub require the CH on when on the ground and all the way to the landing from downwind. Aparently the A65 will ice up quite readily if you give it a chance. I have yet to notice. In fact I have yet to encounter any Carb Ice in the air in any aircraft. I have experienced it many times on the ground, in the morning, during the first taxi of the day.

In many aircraft, I see the Carb Air temperature rise when engaging the carb heat. However, other than that, I don't think it has any effect on the aircraft's ability to run and/or run efficiently....Without turning on pitot heat, you may very well end up freezing the pitot tube when flying in icing conditions, and thus show zero airspeed among possibly other effects stemming from the pitot tube freezing over... Lots of times, I've set off on a flight, set the autopilot, set my autothrottle speed to settle in for a long flight, only to suddenly have the engines spool up to full throttle as the airspeed indicator is suddenly at ZERO and thus the autothrottle thinks it needs to increase the airspeed to get back to the set speed. In most cases, the airspeed gauge started showing the correct airspeed again shortly after turning on the pitot heat.So, pitot heat IS accurately modelled, and required in icing conditions. Carb heat appears to be more of a "it's there for you to turn on and off and causes the carb air temp gauge to rise and fall, but no apparent effect on the aircraft itself" thing. Fuel boost pumps and primers would be really nice to have accurately modelled, where the engine may not start without it....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

And just where in the repeating tape sequence is it?

Guest Bill Hinton

Barry,I would like to know why I have to use the Mixture control (CH Products Flight Sim Yoke) when starting the engines of the Learjet. I am unaware of Jet engines using mixture conrol.Thanks,