Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

What is NOT modelled in FS?

Guest azflyboy

You have to use mixture since FS changes what is usually the mixture control for piston aircraft into either the condition (turboprop) or fuel shutoff (turbojet/turbofan). Its just the MS way of simplifying things since the same keystrokes always do the same basic thing, like the throttle to collective transformation on helicopters.The biggest thing FS9 doesn't model is aerodynamic trim. Although trim is modelled in FS9, it is done by shifting the CG of the aircraft, wheras real aircraft move the elevator slghtly. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but FS9's trim has never felt right to me.One of the things I dislike about FS is that it doesn't model ground friction correctly, and (on the default aircraft) sideslipping is not modelled anywhere near correctly (related to the inability of default A/C to spin). The end result of this is that even though I can easily handle a 10KT crosswind in a C-172 or Warrior in the real world, I can't do the same thing in FS9.

Guest Bill Hinton

Thanks for the explanation.One can assign a key or a Joystick (Yoke) button for engine fuel valves open/close which works very well when preparing to start the engine or for shutting down. I would like to be able to start the Jet aircraft engines without having to use the mixture contol.Nice discussion,

Guest Adverse Yawn

Another minor detail is not being able to get ATIS from VORs and NDBs rather than just VHF Comms.

I`ve only ever benefitted from carb heat once after a long taxi on a coldish morning. Run-up was a bit sluggish, nearly died then recovered when I hit the heat. Classical behaviour. Down here in NZ there`s plenty of moisture about.. CheersJames.

That is the point-Fs should not know where it happens to be-it should start playing at a different random different point in the tape sequence each time-not at the start-like the real world. The atis tape is always playing over and over-you get in at the point you happen to tune the frequency in-and then have to listen again to get the part you missed.Most often as you are listening on your #2 comm and still talking on #1-this can take several attempts to get the info you need.Kinda basic-used probably in almost all fs flights at one time or another-and as the thread title states-not modelled (at least correctly). :-)It has been 30 years since I programmed (machine language, 1st version of basic) but seems like you could use the *rdm number command (or its incarnation now) to generate a random number-then start the wav file at that % in. A couple lines of code at the most-and then "modelled" (correctly) in FS?http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

>>The biggest thing FS9 doesn't model is aerodynamic trim.>Although trim is modelled in FS9, it is done by shifting the>CG of the aircraft, wheras real aircraft move the elevator>slghtly. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but FS9's trim>has never felt right to me.>In effect, the results are the same. I've been in aircraft that are sensitive enough to weight changes, that leaning side to side will change course, or the lack of a passenger in the side by side seating, will have a very noticeable effect on pitch trim, as we're sitting over the CG. Whether you lean one way or another, or trim it out, the heading change can be made.Since there is no real airflow moving over a flying surface, I don't mind if MS programs it this way. But on the other hand, trim is usually a bit too sensitive. Always a bit too much, or too little. This can be adjusted with small throttle changes, but the trimmed state is still a bit to un-even, IMO.As to the "feel" of trim, which is a combo of my joysticks centering spring, and the reactions I see on the screen, I use a hat switch on my Saitek joystick, which is basically simulating electric trim. I actually think the "feel" is reasonably good, and I do trim often as required. L.Adamson

Guest Bill Hinton

Barry,Bingo,I found the solution! Regards,

Have you read tdragger's blog lately? He has an article entitled The Myth of "It Should Be Simple". It's very informative.

Yes I have. However-since this thread is about what is not modelled in Fs,and since Atis is something that is used quite often flight, I think it is quite interesting that it is usually not mentioned that this one is not modelled correctly.... One of the biggest complaints here you usually read are the unrealistic spin characteristics. My real plane doesn't do spins-but I usually do get atis 3-5 times or more on any given flight. I also usually get atis more often than I use the fuel boost pumps , pitot heat,or anti icing system. (I'd love to see them modelled better also).Since I'll bet Atis is used more often by fs pilots than spinning,fuel boost pumps,and pitot heat -seems like it would be something to correct in the continual improvement towards reality. :-)I flew this flight the other day-10 minutes! In that time I had to listen to 3 different atis's-and they never started at the beginning-it added the challenge to get all the atis info in a short time, while talking to atc on comm 1!Now that's reality! (Didn't have to use the pitot heat, anti ice, or spin the plane though) .:-)http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7345Rhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

May be. But isn't it pushing things a bit to claim on based on your 30 year old experience of Basic that it will take "a couple of lines of code at the most"?

Guest Bill Hinton

Geof,If you would like to get ATIS somewhere in the middle of the "tape", just have your Avionics switch off then turn it on after you tune to ATIS.

I guess you could-but better to have it modelled correctly (the title of this thread :-))...I usually leave my #2 comm tuned to the next atis enroute-turn the squelch button way up so I can get it further out (also not modelled on fs!) and the both switch on so when it comes into range I get it.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

"now a personal file with a medical history, licensing system that allows flying specific types of aircraft, otherwise unavailable, real-life theory exams, license conversion when you move to another country, career path, operators, logbooks, maintenance or rental bills for private pilots, aviation stores, budgeting, lesson and rental bookings, clubs and associations... "I figure you were toungue-in-cheek with this answer, but I wonder how many people would be willing to go through all that just to access one group of plane, then all through another rating or license to access another group of planes. Because this is what it's like in real life- but this may be a part of RL that people don't want :). Reminds me a bit like the old ATP sim, with the career mode thing. A sim years before it's time!Bruce.