Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

P3D v4 CTD random while using GPS

Since I installed P3D v4 I had 3 CTDs but only when in flight, after having visored the Garmin GPS, while variable
the distance range appeared on Windows 10 message "The program has stopped working" and P3d v4 went into CTD.
Precisely that I redone the same flight each time and the problem did not manifest itself as it did not manifest itself
on other flights but these random CTDs that happen as varied on the GPS distant range, have never occurred on P3D v3.4.

According to the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 34, it is usually caused by high setting, especially autogen.  Sometimes it just happens for no reason and goes away after restarting Windows and then the sim.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim. I will try to reduce the configuration and autogen and I will see if this next CTD randomly when I use GPS
disappear.

Best regards,

Roberto

After a further search on Windows Event if the last CTD is due to terrain.dll the previous CTDs are due to to ucrtbase.dll that is installed only on Windows 10, for example  in C: \ Windows \ System32 or C: \ Windows \ SysWOW64.

Do you have the God mode url installed in Windows 10?  If so, this is the cause.  If not, try running the System File Checker (page 13, AVSIM CTD Guide). It will check for any corrupt or missing files.  The ucrtbase.dll belongs to the Window 10 and has nothing to do with P3D.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I did not have God module url installed and I did System File Checker on W 10 but did not report any errors.
This is the Windows Event  log of the error that relates ucrtbase.dll with P3D v4:

- System
  - Provider
   [ Name]  Application Error
  - EventID 1000
   [ Qualifiers]  0
   Level 2
   Task 100
   Keywords 0x80000000000000
  - TimeCreated
   [ SystemTime]  2017-06-30T19:49:45.915908500Z
    EventRecordID 10482
    Channel Application
    Computer PC
    Security
  EventData
   Prepar3D.exe
   594a7255
   ucrtbase.dll
   5ba8b66e
   c0000409
   00000000000734be
   1c08
   01d30969cb4592b5
   C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
   C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
   be19f7a8-6893-49e5-b2e3-a79ff0ec9db6

The exception code, C0000409, means Stack Buffer Overflow.  Ucrtbase.dll is part of Microsoft Visual.  It has nothing to do with P3D.  P3D just happened to be running when the event occurred.  The problem with crash reports is the fact they only report what application was running and doesn't tell you it was an addon that caused it.  So, when did the crash occur?  Was it after you installed an addon?  Which addon?  To investigate, follow the procedures on page 10, AVSIM CTD Guide for fixing most crashes and freezes.  This will help you determine the culprit that caused the crash.  I do know that older addons, particularly MyTrafficX, has old textures that are not compatible with P3D and will cause a StackHash error. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

In preaching that I still thank you for your attention to me, I'll let you know
I installed P3D v4 just released and in these two months I installed LIMC and LIRA of Aereosoft and EHAM
Of Fly Tampa obviously all are for P3D v4 but i'm sure when the first CTD happened these scenarios are not
were installed and I used the default P3D v4. I do not have addons for installed AI traffic since I've read that still cause problems anyway
I will try to delete all scenarios on P3D Scenery libraries leaving only the start and arrival ones to see if
 this CTD, which only appeared using GPS, is caused by a scenario however I read that these CTDs
with the reporting of ucrtbase.dll error while varying the range of the distance to GPS, were also reported
to Lochkeed Martin from other users.

Best regards and...ciao from Italy

Roberto

10 hours ago, RobPol471 said:

the reporting of ucrtbase.dll error while varying the range of the distance to GPS

LM only provides the engine, the application.  If you did not have any add-ons, then P3D would most likely run without any errors.  People report problems in LM's forums as they think it is P3D causing the error (well, it might be P3D as many add-ons are not compatible with P3DV4).  Bad installations, Windows 10 administrative privileges, Windows programs running in the background on schedules, all create havoc for any application.  I just went through a major 7 days of periodic errors and spending all day Friday with complete and total shutdown of P3D.  In the end, my solution was simple - renamed the p3d.cfg, dll.xml's located in the same folder as p3d.cfg and scenery.cfg, and the scenery.cfg.  Restarted P3D and no problems whatsoever.  I then brought back the dll.xml's I had renamed.  Still no problems.  Brought back the scenery.cfg and had problems so uninstalled the last scenery I had installed and kept the renamed scenery.cfg (most sceneries are now loaded via add-on.xml's).  I am now pretty confident that the scenery.cfg got corrupted.  Renaming the scenery.cfg will install the default scenery.cfg entries and that, coupled with the add-on.xml's allowed all of my addon scenery to continue to work.

I have never heard of the ucrtbase.dll error but it belongs to a Microsoft Visual C++.  Microsoft Visuals are used by developers like LM and other add-on developers to make sure their product was installed properly, as intended.  For instance, in FSX, if you do not have Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1, FSX will not start.  It is needed for P3D too as P3D is FSX with many updates and modifications but, if you have FSX and P3D on your computer and you run FSX and then try to start up P3D, you'll get an error message stating FSX is already running.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

As reported in other posts, LM is working on a fix for random CTDs that occur when using zoom on the Garmin GPS 500.

Best regards

Roberto

Thanks.  What does the Garmin GPS 500 belong to?  The Carenado Beechcraft?  I do not know of any other aircraft included with P3DV4 that has the Garmin.  All of the other GA aircraft are from the default FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Excuse me Jim, but every plane, both the default and the addons have in the cockpit the Garmin 500 GPS that you can see if you look
with the browse "garmin gps 500 prepar3d". Even today I did another CTD with a Crj 1000 of
Virtualcol, a plane for P3D v4, while on a LIRF - LOWW flight to fly 280 and about 140 miles from LOWW I had a
CTD just as I was changing the GPS zoom just this time, as by log I attach, the module it has
Caused the CTD is symmap.dll.

Window Event log:

- System
  - Provider
   [ Name]  Application Error
  - EventID 1000
   [ Qualifiers]  0
   Level 2
   Task 100
   Keywords 0x80000000000000
  - TimeCreated
   [ SystemTime]  2017-08-01T10:14:20.553055400Z
   EventRecordID 10665
   Channel Application
   Computer PC
    Security
 - EventData
   Prepar3D.exe
   594a7255
   symmap.dll
   594a71d6
   c0000005
   0000000000031aa9
   eac
   01d30aaa9ab663a2
   C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
   C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\symmap.dll
   99448a24-aa2f-4d45-a55f-281006c8dce8

Best regard,

Roberto

2 hours ago, RobPol471 said:

Even today I did another CTD with a Crj 1000 of Virtualcol

I rest my case.  Virtualcol developed the CRJ, not P3D.  Do you realize that if P3D was at the fault of your issues, everyone who owns P3D would be having similar crashes?  I did some searching and one individual in the AVSIM P3D Forums recommended the individual remove/rename his dll.xml's (one in the same folder as the P3D.cfg and one in the same folder as the scenery.cfg) and the solution must have worked as the individual did not come back to say it did not work - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/500753-symmapdll-crash/.  A P3D Engineer at LM stated the crash was most likely caused by an add-on - http://prepar3dtest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123136.  It is impossible for me or others to know which addon created the crash but you can narrow down the culprit by renaming your scenery.cfg to scenery.old and your dll.xml's to dll.old (in both locations) restart P3D and see if the crashes continue.  They should not as you are back to the default P3D.cfg without any addons.  Next thing you want to do is to go back and bring back your old dll.xml's by renaming them back to dll.xml (the one located in the same folder as the scenery.cfg is the default and you will find one there already.  Just delete it as it is the default and then rename the one named dll.old to dll.xml).  Restart P3D and see if there are any crashes (there shouldn't be any as it is loading modules installed by add-ons).  Lastly, if no crashes, return the old scenery.cfg.  You should now have crashes returning.  Open up Lorby-Si's Addon Organizer (hopefully you have this freeware program installed) and disable all addon scenery by clicking on each entry to turn it to a pink shade of color (means the addon is disabled; green means it is enabled).  Run P3D again.  You should not have any crashes.  Now open up the Addon Organizer and enable 3-4 addons, save, and restart P3D.  Do this until the crashes start again as the fault is in one of your addons.  Uninstall the faulting addon. 

I definitely understand your frustrations with your crashes.  Everyone who has owned FSX and/or P3D over the years has had their share of crashes and the many frustrations that come with them.  I just finished diagnosing and fixing a crash on my computer involving P3DV4 and it was an addon at fault.  It took me all day Friday to figure it out but removing the scenery.cfg and letting it rebuild was my fix.  Never figured out exactly which add-on caused it but I suspected the last scenery add-on I installed was the cause.  Also, as I indicated above, there are some programs, like MyTrafficX, which have old and incompatible textures made for previous versions of P3D or FSX or FS9.  So, you need to make sure all of your add-ons, including aircraft, are compatible with P3DV4.  There have been some problems with FlyTampa's EHAM - http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=56158&sid=cc94bc5a24bb40bc9413a7ceb27ac4d2.  I did not check on any of the other add-ons you mentioned you had installed.  LM did change the way add-on's are installed in P3D and many of the developer's have not completely gotten on board with the new system (not saying FlyTampa is one of these developer's).  I suspect that was the cause of most of my crashes last week.  It was not installed properly in the way desired by LM.  Good luck with getting your issues fixed.  If you have more problems, make sure you read the AVSIM CTD Guide as it has many more suggestions for fixing crashes and freezes.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM