Sign in to follow this  
howevr

Version numbers in downloads - Why not.

The release of P3D V4 and others have highlighted, to me at least, a glaring problem in downloading files. It almost seems like pot luck that I'm going to get the latest version of my purchase when files do not show the version number. Sure, some developers do put a version number in the file name but that seems to be a rarity. Look at Carenados file names, what? I even wasted time and bandwidth, twice, with PMDG stuff because Aerosoft directed their USA downloads to an older version, avoidable if the version number was in the file name. And another gripe, I recently downloaded a 2.2GB file only to find when unzipped it contained a version for Windows, MAC, and Linux. How easy would it have been to provide separate downloads.

I downloaded a bunch of files since P3D v4 release after hearing that a new version of this or that was now available. Comparing files sizes, checking file names all in the hope that I will get the latest and greatest only to be sadly disappointed. (go on, admit you do this as well, and it not just me being "anxious").  I was actually thinking would it be so hard for re-sellers to have a "Recently Updated" link on their home pages. I bet the bandwidth saved from useless emails about "updated products I did not buy from you" or support emails about "when is the update just released going to be posted" would save a heap of wear and tear on the Internets tubes.

Afraid I have to insist that all developers / retailers or whoever is responsible put the version number in their files from this day forth. Either that, or allow me to register my 3rd party store purchase on their web site so I can get it from the source immediately (like Realair used to do). BTW - Just Flights web site is about 80% there in terms of customer experience. Use it as a guide.

Insert smiley face here.

howevr

This is why I also love Aerofly FS 2 (and Steam). I never ever have to worry about updates and versions anymore like in my old FSX/P3D days. Whenever I want or have to reinstall the sim I get the latest version of everything with only ONE click. You gotta love that! :happy:

That is why Milviz products always have a coded "version.date" as part of the filename in YYMMDD format.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 31/07/2017 at 5:54 PM, J van E said:

This is why I also love Aerofly FS 2 (and Steam). I never ever have to worry about updates and versions anymore like in my old FSX/P3D days. Whenever I want or have to reinstall the sim I get the latest version of everything with only ONE click. You gotta love that! :happy:

True Sir, but you lose choice. I use Steam a lot but for this kind of product with so many different developers / online stores and constant sales, Steam does restrict you.

15 hours ago, n4gix said:

That is why Milviz products always have a coded "version.date" as part of the filename in YYMMDD format.

That did indeed just help me today. Email from simmarket new version of my T38 purchase available. Unfortunately their download area does not provide a description of the product so you have to go to their purchase page to see the description now shows V4 compatible. The Milviz site had no information that I could see about the update at all. Typically I've found update info in the support forum for the relevant product, but nothing there either.

howevr