Sign in to follow this  
pinepix62

Flaps failure

I can not get the flaps to extend for landing. Before I take off I make sure the flaps are working by cycling through a full extend and retract cycle a few times and all is OK.

I made sure my airspeed is in the white zone before I select the first down setting, the lever moves but the flaps stay up and the gauge reeds zero. Even if I get the FE to do it he reports flap 20 has been reached but nothing happened. All other hydraulic systems like the landing gear seems to be fine.

What am I missing?

Johan Pienaar

Your AFE probably turned off the Hydraulics on you after takeoff.. This happened to me the first time I flew it.

Lever is under the flap handle.

I only had this once as a one-off when loading one of my saved DC-6 flights. All the other saved DC-6 flights work fine, and I never noticed that issue during a "normal" flight session.

Did this happen to you after loading a saved flight or during an uninterrupted flight from takeoff 'til landing?

Oliver Märtens (Maertens)

This was an uninterrupted flight. I loaded the plane from the initial screen, tested the flaps after engine start and it worked fine and then took off using the AFE all the way. I disabled the AFE after I started the decent because he gave me to much power and when I tried to apply some flaps after I leveled for the approach - nothing.

I will double check the Hydraulics.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Johan Pienaar

Johan Pienaar

3 hours ago, pinepix62 said:

I disabled the AFE after I started the decent because he gave me to much power and when I tried to apply some flaps after I leveled for the approach - nothing.

Checklists. Always follow the checklists.

The AFE is going to follow the checklists. If you stop stop using the AFE mid-flight without continuing to use those checklists where he left off, you will find yourself running afoul of improper configurations.

The issue is going to end up being that you didn't ask the AFE to, and you did not follow up on your own after not asking the AFE to, re-enable your hydraulics.

Kyle Rodgers