Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Anyone use Aivlasoft EFB + PFPX?

I already have been using PFPX for my flight planning, but have tried using EFB in the past. I wanted to know if anyone uses both and do they compliment one another?

Currently I have to find my necessary charts and gather them together for each and every flight. With EFB I think the charts are dynamically updated depending on your route or flightplan that you have loaded. Does this mean if I use Aivlasoft EFB I won't have to mess with finding and using jeppesen/navigraph charts anymore? I'm still on the fence on which method would be better.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have both PFPX and EFB and I must admit that I hardly use PFPX and only seldom I use EFB. Instead I use FSTRAMP and FS Commander each time that I start P3D.

But that is just my personal preference.

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

Hi Aaron,

I use Aivlasoft EFB for almost all my flights and PFPX for all my IFR airline flights. I think they complement each other very well. I usually do my planning in PFPX and then export the flightplan to P3D, EFB and the PDMG aircraft I'm flying on the day. I can then open the flightplan in Aivlasoft EFB and set up the desired SIDs and STARs. EFB will show me the procedures and limits as well as the ILS glidepath and so on. Furthermore, it will show ground plates and taxiways with a life representation of the position of your aircraft. Very useful.

Be aware though, that the charts are not actual Jeppesen or Navigraph charts. They are more overlays on a map. But it definitely serves it purpose very well, especially if you run it on a separate screen.

Jack Schaper

Jack, I plan on using it just like you described. With your method, do you still have to rely on actual charts anymore? I hope not, because I want to do away with that all together.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

7 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Jack, I plan on using it just like you described. With your method, do you still have to rely on actual charts anymore? I hope not, because I want to do away with that all together.

I have PFPX but, generally, use Simbrief...far simpler.  I also have Aivlasoft but it was using substantial CPU so I stopped using it...tried running the front end remotely but the back-end kept crashing.  It's a nice tool, though.  It's simpler than using real charts, though, you do lose some detail.  Takes a bit of getting used to the interface.  One thing it's great at is selecting SIDs/STARs when you're rolling your own flight plan.

These days I use Navigraph charts, though, I do find it frustrating...having to navigate back and forth between the charts...where's that approach plate I just had open?  Zooming in and out is a pill.  I know they have a new app coming and I hope they start using tabs for things you had open. 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I use as Jack describes. Am very happy with it.:happy:

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

24 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I use both for all IFR flights, and I run Aivlasoft EFB on a networked computer both to keep the sim computer primarily dedicated to the flight itself and to be able to view Aivlasoft EFB's moving map while inflight.

I do find that I still refer to actual charts, because Aivlasoft EFB's interpretation of SIDs and STARs often sometimes omits key details ( crossing restrictions, speed restrictions) on some procedures. So I refer to the charts as a backup. If you're not obsessive about those details as I am, then Aivlasoft EFB will do just fine. I don't fly without it and am really looking forward to v2, which has been in the works for some time.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

10 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I do find it frustrating...having to navigate back and forth between the charts...where's that approach plate I just had open?  Zooming in and out is a pill.  I know they have a new app coming and I hope they start using tabs for things you had open. 

++1

I use PFPX for planning and reference navigraph charts on my ipad.  Avliasoft EFB, is however, a super app and i think it will definitely complement the experience l very well.

Aaron, I second Rudi's reaction. You can fly very well without the additional charts, but if you're a stickler for details (which I am), you will still find yourself looking at them. It all depends on where you draw the line on 'realism'. I personally use Navigraph charts on my iPad next to a separate laptop running Aivlasoft EFB, But to answer your actual question: no, you don't have to rely on additional charts. You can fly perfectly well without them.

@Gregg_Seipp: The new Navigraph charts desktop is a huge improvement over the current one. It very neatly shows all the charts and procedures you have selected in a sidebar and you can quickly switch back and forth. It also shows a live position of your aircraft on the chart. I do have some trouble getting used to the Jeppesen charts after using the LIDO format for a pretty long time though.

Jack

1 minute ago, jschaper said:

@Gregg_Seipp: The new Navigraph charts desktop is a huge improvement over the current one. It very neatly shows all the charts and procedures you have selected in a sidebar and you can quickly switch back and forth. It also shows a live position of your aircraft on the chart. I do have some trouble getting used to the Jeppesen charts after using the LIDO format for a pretty long time though.

That's good to know.  Is it released yet?  Also, can you turn off the moving map?...can be a resource hog.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I was using PFPX + Aivlasoft EFB for a long time now. But recently I got rid of Aivlasoft and instead use Navigraph Charts Desktop.

Take a look here: 

I already had a Navigraph subscription for FMS data, so it was basically free.

But: Aivlasoft is really good!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

Take a look here: 

I already had a Navigraph subscription for FMS data, so it was basically free.

It's better.  I wish they'd at least let you sort the selected charts to the top. 

EDIT:  I found the web beta and tried it out.  I see you can 'pin' charts at the bottom.  That's great.  And the zoom is much better.  Too bad about the LIDO charts. 

Gregg Seipp

Long time fan of both PFPX and EFB here. Flying Concorde exclusively means I plan many of my routes manually as Concorde was not permitted to fly over populated areas at supersonic speeds.

PFPX is great for manual planning and of course I exclude the SID and STAR elements of the flight. Load that plan into EFB, add the SID and STAR and I'm ready to go.

You also get a flightlog with EFB allowing you to check fuel figures along the flight. And both are one-off payments Navigraph excepted so for reasons of economy they're great.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather