Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Question about ASP4/ASCA Performance

My System Specs : i7-7700K / 16GB 3200 RAM / GTX 1080

I am able to maintain “smooth" flight with most sliders to the right except all traffic disabled / Special effects on medium \ No HDR / No Speedtrees / 8MSAA.

I only have ORBX (Global / Vector / OpenC NA / HD Trees) s addons.

So…

I want to buy ASP4, but I am just looking for a variety of cloud patterns other than the presets in P3D. I am not that big on weather and would just like a similar cloud look (or density), but just representing real weather. I read where 3 cloud layers in ASP4 is a good compromise on performance (I can live with this if it gets me close to the cloud density that I currently have with default clouds.

I can also live with the default clouds, but I hear that ASCA really integrates well with ASP4.

So my options are 1) ASP4 with Default clouds or 2) ASP4 with ASCA.

Can anyone give me a sense of the performance over default clouds that the 2 options above with have given that I mostly fly with the current presets (all of them) in P3D? Is there a big performance impact / pretty much the same / or better performance than default?

Also, I see that there are tons of options in ASP4, I really just want to load the program, and just have it load real weather and fly, i am really not that savvy with weather options, I am assuming that I can bypass most of the options to just load and fly. Is this correct?

You ought to be just fine.  Just remember v4 generates a LOT MORE than v3, so sliders might have to be backed off a bit.  For ASCA run lower textures (512).  I have even run 256 without noticing any difference.  The combination, with live weather enabled, is getting very close to perfect.

Just one opinion, there are many.......

HTH- C

• Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

With your setup, performance will be great.  I have a much older CPU than you @ 4ghz but the same GPU and RAM.  Performance is great and an upgrade on cloud textures is definitely what you want.  If you have some spare cash, I'd recommend ENVTEX as well.  For me thy represent the most realistic looking clouds in a variety of scenarios.

• Upvote 1

I have ASP4/ASCA/Envtex and am quite happy with the performance in v4.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I am running 7 cloud layers but dialed down the cloud texture resolution in ASCA and set ENVTEX to "performance" instead of "quality" and it all runs very well.

Heavy overcast at Heathrow however may lead to not very good framerates.... but I don't care :-) It is always a tradeoff...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

With your setup, performance will be great.  I have a much older CPU than you @ 4ghz but the same GPU and RAM.  Performance is great and an upgrade on cloud textures is definitely what you want.  If you have some spare cash, I'd recommend ENVTEX as well.  For me thy represent the most realistic looking clouds in a variety of scenarios.

How does EnvTex run with ASP4/ASCA? Does it totally replace all ASCA clouds or just certain clouds. I see that some users run ASP4 and ASCA and Envtex all together. Would all 3 be necessary or does ASP4 with EnvTex suffice?

If you are fine with the default clouds then stick to them. ASCA+Envtex is an ok solution but ASCA clouds alone.. Not really. Personally I still like REX Clouds, but it is not compatible with what ASCA can provide unfortunately.

Ahmet Can

25 minutes ago, costamesa said:

If you are fine with the default clouds then stick to them. ASCA+Envtex is an ok solution but ASCA clouds alone.. Not really. Personally I still like REX Clouds, but it is not compatible with what ASCA can provide unfortunately.

You can use Rex soft clouds with ASCA, just have to untick cloud textures in asca and away you go everything else works fine.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

Your best bet for seamless integration is ASP4/ASCA - they were designed to work together. For what you want, Envtex is overkill. I use it and love it but as you describe what you are looking for - not necessary. Get ASP4/ASCA - set the cloud layers to 3 to start , you can increase/decrease as necessary. Set ASCA for eithe Global or Dynamic. Set ASCA clouds at 512 - you can always change them.

Go fly.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm running I7-3770 non k , gtx 960 and run 6 cloud layers just fine. Using 512k textures for clouds. Don't really see a big difference from the larger textured clouds, I can use the needed frames in other areas

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 7/31/2017 at 4:34 PM, vgbaron said:

Your best bet for seamless integration is ASP4/ASCA - they were designed to work together. For what you want, Envtex is overkill. I use it and love it but as you describe what you are looking for - not necessary. Get ASP4/ASCA - set the cloud layers to 3 to start , you can increase/decrease as necessary. Set ASCA for eithe Global or Dynamic. Set ASCA clouds at 512 - you can always change them.

Go fly.

Vic

HI, Dont mean to hijack this thread but could you plse assist. I have ASCA/ASP4 installed and I'm not sure if ASP4 is auto loading the appropriate ASCA textures for the given weather conditions. In ASCA the UI wont allow me so activate either the Global or Dynamic themes (get message that I need AS16 installed). So does that mean ASCA/ASP4 are nor intergrated for me.

Thanks Brian (confused !)

Make sure you have the latest versions of both. Reinstall both. See if that helps. I am assuming that both ASP4 and ASCA are on the same system.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It might be because you did install AS16 and not ASP4.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

3 hours ago, SpaceMonkey said:

the UI wont allow me so activate either the Global or Dynamic themes (get message that I need AS16 installed). So does that mean ASCA/ASP4 are nor intergrated for me.

Start up AS16 (P3D does not need to be running).  Open up ASCA and go to the Global theme and select it.  Run P3DV4 and it will load.  It's just that ASCA has to "see" AS16 running.  It worked for me.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10