Sign in to follow this  
paradoxbox

SLOP / RTE Offset broken?

I'm unable to remove lateral route offsets by deleting or entering 0 into the offset space. I can remove it by reselecting the next waypoint and setting it as a direct-to, but this seems like a clumsy workaround.

Is this a known bug?

52 minutes ago, paradoxbox said:

but this seems like a clumsy workaround.

It's one of the ways listed in the FCOM so I wouldn't call it clumsy; however, it is a known bug that you cannot delete or enter 0.  I never discovered it because I always use the direct to next waypoint method because it involves the smoothest transition.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the post.

I agree it's a viable method but I feel like it's prone to accidental deletion of the current waypoint when using a mouse on the small PC screen. Feels better to use 0 or the Del key for me.

Is there a fix planned for this? Seems surprising that it's still a problem as it must be one of the most commonly used features of the RTE function.

We've had a few discussions on this topic in the past few months. I am not sure if anyone actually filed a ticket about it.

Kyle - is this on your radar, or one of us needs to bother to file a ticket? :-)

4 hours ago, paradoxbox said:

most commonly used features of the RTE function.

Not sure if it is that common for the Queen.  About the only place you'll see it routinely used is on the busy NATS but never would you need to use it in the Pacific.

4 hours ago, paradoxbox said:

Is there a fix planned for this?

PMDG had just released the Queen then dug deep into new installers for all products on all platforms and at the same time launched a new product.  Lesser problems such as this are kept in a bug tracking system and when resources are again allocated to the B744 then they will use the tracking system to define development goals.  All bugs in the system are "planned" to be picked up but only they know when that might happen.  For now their focus is on the B748 and I'm sure once that is out then they may want to come back to the B744 and roll some B748 ideas back into the B744.

All of above is just my opinion and guess work. Bottom line is PMDG only announces a small part of what it is planning in a pinned thread in the General forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm not sure about that. SLOP is pretty routine in China (Up to something like 15 miles) and I think in Korean and Japanese airspace you can ask for lateral offsets and usually receive clearance for them. I almost never fly on the original magenta line and 99% of my flights are done around or over the pacific.

1 hour ago, paradoxbox said:

I'm not sure about that. SLOP is pretty routine in China (Up to something like 15 miles) and I think in Korean and Japanese airspace you can ask for lateral offsets and usually receive clearance for them. I almost never fly on the original magenta line and 99% of my flights are done around or over the pacific.

SLOP 1 or 2 NM right is normal procedure also in the Indian Ocean airway system (e.g. Mumbai oceanic area and Chennai oceanic).

In China it is not exactly SLOP per se (Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure), but most of FIRs despite radar available, ask ALL traffic to offset (generally 3nm RIGHT of track, but they occasionally vary).

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

On 1/8/2017 at 2:22 AM, downscc said:

PMDG had just released the Queen then dug deep into new installers for all products on all platforms and at the same time launched a new product.  Lesser problems such as this are kept in a bug tracking system and when resources are again allocated to the B744 then they will use the tracking system to define development goals.  All bugs in the system are "planned" to be picked up but only they know when that might happen.  For now their focus is on the B748 and I'm sure once that is out then they may want to come back to the B744 and roll some B748 ideas back into the B744.

Ok, this has a sense if the 748 is released maximum within a month or so, but if it will take more it is not acceptable to keep the 744 with (known) bugs with the idea of fixing them after the 748 release, even because there have been known bugs to fix already for 6 months, now... I bought the 744 and want it bugs free (I mean bugs that have been detected and aknowledged). The 744 is the 744, the 748 is another airplane.. In theory I could not mind a damn about the 748! 

James Goggi

1 hour ago, jgoggi said:

Ok, this has a sense if the 748 is released maximum within a month or so, but if it will take more it is not acceptable to keep the 744 with (known) bugs with the idea of fixing them after the 748 release, even because there have been known bugs to fix already for 6 months, now... I bought the 744 and want it bugs free (I mean bugs that have been detected and aknowledged). The 744 is the 744, the 748 is another airplane.. In theory I could not mind a damn about the 748! 

Who said anything about when the 748 will be released? It could be tomorrow for all you and I know.

1 hour ago, jgoggi said:

While what you are saying makes some sense, but there are bugs, and... there are bugs. Generally speaking, you could categorize identified and confirmed bugs into two very general categories:

1. Bugs that have a reasonable workaround
  2. Bugs that do not have a reasonable workaround

In this case, we are dealing with the bug that fits into category #2. It is known, and there is a reasonable workaround. If you can't find it in the forest that the forum is, please let me know, I will point you to the exact message.

Again speaking very generally, bugs in that #2 category, are usually not a very high priority bugs, and are sometimes, sadly, relegated to a "best effort" fix. I.e. they'll get fixed when somoene finds time to do it. Until then, just use the available and reasonable, workaround.

20 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Who said anything about when the 748 will be released? It could be tomorrow for all you and I know.

Indeed, since we DON'T know when it will be released, if it is released say in 2-6 months time and the 744 is not updated in the meantime, one could start being p***ed off, don't you think?

James Goggi

2 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

Indeed, since we DON'T know when it will be released, if it is released say in 2-6 months time and the 744 is not updated in the meantime, one could start being p***ed off, don't you think?

Not really, the 744 flies like a dream and any bugs it has are minor and don't affect the aircraft's performance.

3 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Not really, the 744 flies like a dream and any bugs it has are minor and don't affect the aircraft's performance.

It's just because it flies like a dream that I say: why not fixing the few bugs and having a 100% perfect airplane? Anyway one of them (I don't say which one, but it's well known...) affects performance, because it affects takeoff power, takeoff speed, lift off attitude, fuel burn...

James Goggi

It's just because it flies like a dream that I say: why not fixing the few bugs and having a 100% perfect airplane?

Because they have more important things to be doing, crashes to solve etc. Not to mention they deserve a break after the enormous effort they put in updating to P3Dv4.

Anyway one of them (I don't say which one, but it's well known...) affects performance, because it affects takeoff power, takeoff speed, lift off attitude, fuel burn...

The engine parameters change, but you or I don't know if it actually affects the flight model itself, or if it's just the numbers are changing on the displays.

Either way, I'm not getting into this debate again.

8 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Either way, I'm not getting into this debate again.

Good idea Chris, there's no consensus building with some.

Dan Downs KCRP