Sign in to follow this  
AOB

Observations

I am a fiddler. When FSW and AF2 came out they both went on my PC very quickly. I offloaded AF2 pretty quickly too not so much because I didnt like it but more because of the huge file and update download sizes that ate into my monthly download limits. FSW now has pride of place so what about my old FSX stuff?

1. My FS Global Ultimate installed manually.

2. All Newport, Bluesky and Taburet photo real sceneries installed to the FSW add ons and working after fiddling with scenery.cfg. 

3. Orbyx FTX sceneries installed and working (till I uninstalled FSX and FTX Central went nuts. Orbyx stuff now uninstalled). 

4. A few planes added but error messages coming up so not really bothered with them at the moment. My 10 year old Abacus jets not even represented visually.

5. Aerosoft sceneries installed. Purchased Dzrewiecki NYC FSW compatible and installed that as well.

Ok so now to enjoy it I thought. But I quickly found that if I flew from 1 airport to another small one or strip that I could not find my destination. Even when Flight Planner tells me I am right over my destination the airport is not visible.

Photoreal add ons are very blurry compared to FSX. FSW stock textures very white after update 8. I am not lodging any bug report but I would be interested to compare this with anyone elses experience. 

Dovetail has made it pretty clear that they do not intend to support any legacy FSX content, airplanes or scenery.

Yes, like you I installed my favorite FSX stuff and got it work, at least partially.  Not a good idea.

Suggest you take what FSW gives you and learn to live with that, or take some time out and return when the product is more mature..

Bert

I am leaning towards a full un-install of everything and a reinstall. I agree with you. Somewhere along the line I shot myself in the foot I think. Cannot blame DTG - all me :blink:.

• Upvote 2

I am wondering just how many settings are saved in hidden files and where they are. For esample I did a complete wipe and reinstall yesterday and found that FSW still had my previous stats and that advanced weather was set to on. Steam records? Data is also stored in config files in hidden directories AppData and ProgramData on my PC. So beware if you change anything. I also wonder what is changed when you add on programs like FS-Global. Anyone know where that installs to and whats configs it changes so FSW recognises it?

You'll find an identical scenery.cfg file in three places: the main FSW directory, Appdata and ProgramData. I manually edit all three just to make sure. I've managed to install some local landmarks scenery from FS2004, believe it or not, and the UK2000 VFR Airfields for FSX. The UK2000 Xtreme sceneries caused FSW to crash so don't go there! All the VFR Airfields I've tested so far are visible and working on the flight plan map when I zoom in a bit, and in the sim, some minor details don't show up and parked cars have a faint white rectangle over the head and tail lights. So there's not much difference in the basic airport buildings code for FSW and FSX, the textures have certainly been modified and I'd expect animation and lighting effects to be different when these become available.

53 minutes ago, A32xx said:

You'll find an identical scenery.cfg file in three places: the main FSW directory, Appdata and ProgramData. I manually edit all three just to make sure.

I have only edited the one in the main FSW folder, and it seems to have done the trick in my case when I installed the Free Mesh X to improve the scenery a bit (I of course took a backup of the original scenery.cfg file, just in case). 

• Upvote 1

What lines did you add to your scenery.cfg with Free Mesh X then?

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA122_NorthAmerica
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX - North America
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.128]
Title=@IDS_AREA123_Europe
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX - Europe
Layer=128
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

1 hour ago, AOB said:

What lines did you add to your scenery.cfg with Free Mesh X then?

Just as Heimi posted above (Thank You, Heimi!). Just make sure you have the paths correct (Local=). If you are not familiar with this type of editing, make sure to take a backup of the original file before making any changes, and try adding just one scenery area first. Once you get that working, it'll be easier to add more as/if needed.

Thanks guys. I assume I can use similar scenery.cfg path statements with my FS Global 2010 then. 

Hey guys just wanted to post an observation as far as manually adding a scenery goes.  Most success comes from adding an FSX or P3D compiled scenery. However I have noticed with some recent purchases of P3Dv4 specifically compiled sceneries (eg TropicalSim TNCC and TAPA) the buildings will not show. I have the same thing happen with sceneries I converted to P3DV4 bgl format with MCX, buildings don't show. Use the FSX or P3D V3 and lower compiled versions and the buildings display. Seems the V4 bgl format changes some parameters that were used from FSX until now. Anyone else notice this?

I haven't experienced this myself but I think Chock mentioned in an earlier topic that because Lockheed-Martin and Dovetail Games are each developing their own 64-bit platforms independently, it's unlikely that add-ons developed for P3Dv4 will be compatible with FSW and vice-versa.