Sign in to follow this  
Duamutef_MC

Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick Compatibility

Hi all!

The first beta of FSW seemed to be fully compatible with the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Following update then removed this capability, claiming it would crash the game for some users. It was not my case.

Any chance Dovetail can make this compatibility a on/off thing or a manual patch? Even a line change in a config file would do...

Issue is I'm quite accustomed to flying with Force Feedback. Plus I've invested a considerable amount of money and time in acquiring, repairing and overhauling my joystick. I was really hoping I could use it with what looks to be the next great flight simulator.

I'm aware other force feedback peripherals work (I own a Logitech Force 3D pro) but the force isn't nearly as strong and the immersion is therefore lacking.

Let me have your thoughts... if somebody from Dovetail reads this, first thing: congratulations on an exciting project, and secondly: help! ^_^

- Sam

This is the only thing stopping me dipping my feet into the FSW water at the moment. After having used FSX with FS Force for a number of years, I wouldn't want to go back to simming without force feedback. If DTG were to confirm that force feedback would definitely be implemented in the release version, I would be happy to jump in now and support the project.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

No Force feed back and fs force software is a game changer. Was just starting to get into some of the vids about this new sim and like it ..till just now

ZORAN

I'm having the same troubles. Sidewinder FF works fine in FSX:SE but in FSW it doesn't. It used to work but after reinstalling FSW it stopped working. The only thing on the FF is resistance but I can't use it to fly an aircraft.

Did it cause any problems in the first version of FSW? Wondering why they decided to remove it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I had no issues to be sincere... I wonder what complaints they could have received. Why not create a patch to turn on/off whatever modification they did to the code? So the Sidewinder 2 owners can try their luck... :)

14 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Did it cause any problems in the first version of FSW? Wondering why they decided to remove it.

I had no problems with the first installation of FSW. I removed FSW because I had more problems on my PC.

This is the information I've got from Dovetail : Force Feedback effects were removed in a recent update because of some users having compatibility issues. Dovetail is apparently trying to sort it out... let's hope they can do this soon.

It was a problem in the FSW.cfg file.

After comparing the FSW.cfg.backup-file with the defect FSW.cfg file I found under controls this line : JOYSTICKS=0

I have removed this line and the joystick works perfect now.

2 hours ago, BROGY said:

It was a problem in the FSW.cfg file.

After comparing the FSW.cfg.backup-file with the defect FSW.cfg file I found under controls this line : JOYSTICKS=0

I have removed this line and the joystick works perfect now.

Is this with the latest update of FSW? The FF2 is definitely working?

Yes indeed. I have installed FSW on monday and I suppose the latest update has been installed.

After removing the line "Joystick=0" FSW works as it is supposed to be.

21 hours ago, Duamutef_MC said:

What version of Windows are you using, Brogy? What version of the joystick driver are you using?

I am using Win10 and the software of the joystick that comes with Win10.

I did check my config file... there is no "joystick=0" line - also, all other force feedback joystick I own work just fine. It's clear only the Sidewinder 2 is specifically inhibited by Dovetail as per the v2 release notes. Aimee, Chris, whoever: are you going to look into this? It worked just fine in v1!

I THINK I GOT THIS!

Windows recognizes the joystick from its internal properties - meaning from the peripheral itself. The old model of the Force Feedback 2 (dark grey buttons) is declared as a generic joystick; the recent one (silver buttons) is declared as 'Sidewinder Force Feedback 2' - it's likely that the software checks just that, therefore the working joysticks are of the old model. New models are automatically inhibited by Flight Sim World - now: why is it so? My joystick was working just fine! Are you going to work on it anytime in the future, Dovetail?