Sign in to follow this  
Bill Alderson

Probably a Dumb Question....

I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything pertaining to my question:  Why are there eight throttles for four engines?  Just asking. ;)

Bill Alderson

The mid pedestal is just to wide to reach over from both seats, so they are mechanically linked so that each pilot can use them. 

Typically during take-off and initial climb the PF is holding his hands on the ones next to him while the FE is using the the other set for fine tuning.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

6 hours ago, metzgergva said:

The mid pedestal is just to wide to reach over from both seats, so they are mechanically linked so that each pilot can use them. 

Typically during take-off and initial climb the PF is holding his hands on the ones next to him while the FE is using the the other set for fine tuning.

Thanks Alex.

Bill Alderson

6 hours ago, Bill Alderson said:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything pertaining to my question:  Why are there eight throttles for four engines?  Just asking. ;)

Not a dumb question.  I recall the Lockheed C-141 Starlifter had a set of throttles for each pilot for the same reason.  I'm sure engineering had to go around and around with cost control to justify those so might seem trivial but not at all.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, downscc said:

Not a dumb question.  I recall the Lockheed C-141 Starlifter had a set of throttles for each pilot for the same reason.  I'm sure engineering had to go around and around with cost control to justify those so might seem trivial but not at all.

Much obliged Mr. Downs.  I'm sure engineering probably didn't have as hard a time selling the idea of throttles for both pilots that they would have in today's market since most things back then were pretty much over-engineered anyway and the heck with the cost. ;)  Which pretty much speaks for the longevity of these aircraft.

Thanks again for the help.

Bill Alderson