Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Simmer flies for real!

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Loved the ending. :laugh:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Link doesn't work for me, sorry.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I agree with the comments at the end. We are missing environmental feedback (gusts, updrafts downdrafts, all those good wind events you experience flying over KMMU and KCDW during the summer). FLying for real made me a better sim pilot and they complimented each other during flight training (for me at least).

One last thing: eBaying the equipment he had wasn't paying for very many flight lessons. I'd still be flying if the costs weren't so high...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

27 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Link doesn't work for me, sorry.

Same here, on Firefox latest.

That was a great take on an oft-discussed notion among flight simmers, cheers for posting it. Personally, confidence/panic aside, I think most flight simmers could get an aircraft on the deck and walk away from it okay, but as that guy found, it might not be as pretty as their thousands of sim landings; it's not quite the same as sitting there with a nice cup of tea and a pause button.

I can remember singing 'the Deadwood Stage' to myself loudly in the cockpit on my first solo to pick my senses up a bit (bizarre choice of tune I know, but that was what came into my head to make me feel more confident lol), my first ever solo landing was a bit high on initial approach but I sideslipped it down and sorted that out, so it ended up okay. I recall too that I was bursting for the loo all the way through that first solo too; that was because I had just landed a dual flight, where unbeknown to me, my instructor was weighing up sending me off on my own, so I was gonna go to the loo after we landed. That's when my instructor said: 'think you can do that again on your own?' and I knew if I buggered off all the way to the loo (which was bloody miles away there and back since it was a massive airfield) and then came back to the aircraft, I'd have been a bit more nervous, so I thought, screw that, let's go for it. That's the other thing with sims, you can hit pause and go to the loo! :laugh:.

So there's my cool flying tip if you are doing real lessons and suspect you are gonna get sent solo that day - make sure you go to the toilet first lol.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Biggest difference of all is that we simmers don't have the old Reaper riding in the back seat wearing that snide grin of his just waiting for you to just once " screw the pooch."

• Upvote 3

Vic green

24 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

See my post above, I posted a working link.

Thanks, Kevin. You just beat me before I spotted your link.

The Gadget show did a "similar" thing back in 2010. Ortis was tasked with learing how to fly a solo circuit in a 172 via some intensive training (8 weeks) on a high end simulator. Thanks for the working link!

http://www.tvthrong.co.uk/2010/11/the-gadget-show-22/

Not quite the same timescale or objective for this guy but still an achievement which no doubt made for good TV :)

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

My favorite thing is when, during boarding, someone pops their head in the cockpit and says "hey guys, I'm a C172 pilot here, seated in 32D if you guys need anything." 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Well,

it was great to watch!

My experience was opposite - I started flying for real almost 12 yrs before I started using flight simulators more seriously.

When you fly for real, your brain is trained to react to the visual cues more effectively even in a flight simulator. The better your controller hardware and flight simulator the better.

I have said this many times, and I repeat - some skills I developed in real flying were fine tuned in the flight simulators, and surprisingly this included, although not only, recovery from "upset" situations... and also some basic aerobatics ( in glider ). I used Silent Wings and Condorsoaring for that, and it worked great and provided a good training for the execution  of the maneuvers IRL - actually better than the experience that flying with a certified aerobatics instructor brought me... The AS-K21 was, of course, a great school too ( for the aerobatics ).

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

When I first flew there was an incredible difference between the sim and real flight.  The basics were the same and I knew the instruments, but the way the air moves around you is something that sims just can't do.  You have to get a feel for the aircraft to handle it well.  Then there are all the comms going on around you, the sky seems crowded indeed.  Flying for real is like a juggling act, all the senses are involved.  That's why I switched to trikes, easier to fly.