Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

Got the Turbine Duke V1 (FSX version) working in P3Dv4

This is just awesome. After RealAir shut down their product line and I missed the train to get the upgrade to P3D, I got this awesome aircraft working in v4 despite it being an FSX product. Controls and effects + sound all work as far as I can tell.

It's really simple and won't mess up your P3D installation. For anyone attempting to do the same, create a folder named "RealAIr Turbine Duke" or something like that and install the aircraft in there. After the installation when it asks you to define the simulator directory simply point it to P3Dv4. Then go to the P3Dv4 Addons folder under My Documents and also create a folder there named "Turbine Duke" or whatever containing a file named "add-on.xml" with the following content:

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>RealAir Turbine Duke</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>RealAir Turbine Duke</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>D:\P3Dv4 addons\RealAir Turbine Duke\SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>D:\P3Dv4 addons\RealAir Turbine Duke\Effects</Path>
        <Type>GLOBAL</Type>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

The path is of course the one that points to your Duke installation directory. As soon as you fire up P3D it should ask you if you want to enable the addon. If you don't get this message you've done something wrong.

I hope this will be useful to anyone.

Interesting. The Duke must use all XML gauges then. I thought at least some of them were C/C++ gauges.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yes sounds are working. The only thing I just noticed is that the config tool does not seem to do anything when pointed to the sim directory, mainly because it can't find the aircraft. I changed the target directory to the folder where the Duke itself is installed and it seems to be working now. No further issues so far.

Rob if you read this,Good on you Sir thank you for your approval to our humble efforts to continue using your excellent add ons inP3d v4,how about having a come back tour like the rock bands do and converting a few of your add ons to P3d v4,I bet you have little chuckle when you see us lot trying to convert these wonderful aircraft of your,s,hope life is good for you

Peter

I just pointed the FSX installer to my P3D4 folder and ran it that way - seems to work except for the configurator that apparently is slaved to my FSX install.  For this I use a work around by copying over the FSX RealAir Duke ini files into P3D4 which gets the config selections active in P3D4.  Good to see that the developer is OK about having his work re purposed I was wondering how he would have felt about all of this.,

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 01/08/2017 at 6:32 PM, armchair_pilot said:

If you don't get this message you've done something wrong.

well I got that message after following you method and i added it as required,but Turbine Duke does not show in the aircraft selection box so I can not select or load it ,but it is showing in the P3d V4 add on,s as enabled ?,wonder what I have done wrong,thanks for describing this method of installing add on,s, I hadn't tried it before so its very interesting for me, just need to sit down with a cup of tea and find what i have done wrong LOL

Peter

2 hours ago, wizzards said:

well I got that message after following you method and i added it as required,but Turbine Duke does not show in the aircraft selection box so I can not select or load it ,but it is showing in the P3d V4 add on,s as enabled ?,wonder what I have done wrong,thanks for describing this method of installing add on,s, I hadn't tried it before so its very interesting for me, just need to sit down with a cup of tea and find what i have done wrong LOL

Peter

Is the path to your aircraft folder in the xml file correct? I would also put that folder to the exceptions list of your antivirus.

I cant seem to get the config file to install ,No matter where I point it .I get the invalid directory message 

thanks for the reply ,Unfortunately I had tried that but doesn't seem to accept the directory ,which in my case is the  C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine V2. Plane works fine all sounds working .But cannot load config program to load gtn 750/650 in to panel .I have it working in the plane via mouse select using F1gtn config .And I am running the config setup using administrative rights

It's doing my head in .I've tried all directories up and down from that duke folder .still no joy .My p3d v4 installed into program files by default so dont have the option to try  D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 or in my case even C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 .I dont know whats going on ...very frustrating to say the least ...oh well just keep trying ,perhaps I'll try a reinstall to alternative location .the duke that is ,as with added scenery ,aircraft and airports I don't  think moving the sim is a viable option .You know when you just have to have something work and you won't stop until it is ? well I'm there ..........lol

The reason why it works for you is because you originally had it installed in FSX.

You must first install to FSX, make the changes in config, then move the files. Any other method will be met with frustration.

I don't think that Sean & Rob really grasp the passion that this community have for their GA addons. These devs (IMO) are at the pinnacle when it comes to GA development for FSX/P3D.

They are missed by the community and deserve to be in the "AVSIM Hall of Fame."

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Inspired by you guys, thought I'd give my original FSX (Piston version, not turbine) copy of the RealAir Duke a try.

Popped the CD in (very old skool :biggrin:), pointed it to the P3D4 directory when it asks for the FSX location. Installed without a hitch. Then ran the 1.5 update, also no issues.

The aircraft config prog started, made my selections, then started P3D.

To my absolute surprise and delight, there is the Duke, all variants....and even better everything works, sounds, etc straight out of the box (CD). No changes to config files or changes to sound file dll's at all.

I never got the turbine version at the time, but the fact that this works so well is a very nice surprise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maestaru said:

Do not often see this happening, whether in FSX or X-Plane, or P3D.  I think it is a testament to well-writen software.

We should start a sub-culture: The Duke Revivalists!

I know, I was half expecting it to crash P3D, but it worked flawlessly. Top coding indeed.

I'll join the club. Long live the Duke.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, Maestaru said:

Do not often see this happening, whether in FSX or X-Plane, or P3D.  I think it is a testament to well-writen software.

We should start a sub-culture: The Duke Revivalists!

I can think of several other devs that the community will go nuts if they decide to close shop, but I won't jinx it. :biggrin:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.