Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Some Hardware Advice

i would like to say, as i have said this before, but ryzen 7 works extremely well with x-plane 11, i have the 1800x with a gtx 1080ti, its the smoothest experience i have ever had with x-plane 10 or 11, ryzen works good, but not great with p3d, but i spend most of my time with x-plane, you can grab a ryzen 1700 for under 300.00 and sometimes 260.00 from amazon. i won't go back to intel and i was using a 7700k at 5ghz.i am running the 1800x at 4ghz but have ran it as low as 3.7 ghz and i always keep between 50-75 fps all the time even with orthoxp.so amd did something right. i am also using 32gb of ddr4 3200mhz. the faster ram you can run in a ryzen machine, higher it will shine. threadripper comes out in a few days and the performance feedback is already exciting.i have no use for more than 16 threads but i think developers will start taking notice to all the cores for future developement .

6 hours ago, strider1 said:

My understanding is they are doing exactly that !

That is great news!

I used to be an avid ATI customer until AMD bought the company.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

On 8/6/2017 at 2:46 PM, Patriot3810 said:

i would like to say, as i have said this before, but ryzen 7 works extremely well with x-plane 11, i have the 1800x with a gtx 1080ti, its the smoothest experience i have ever had with x-plane 10 or 11, ryzen works good, but not great with p3d, but i spend most of my time with x-plane, you can grab a ryzen 1700 for under 300.00 and sometimes 260.00 from amazon. i won't go back to intel and i was using a 7700k at 5ghz.i am running the 1800x at 4ghz but have ran it as low as 3.7 ghz and i always keep between 50-75 fps all the time even with orthoxp.so amd did something right. i am also using 32gb of ddr4 3200mhz. the faster ram you can run in a ryzen machine, higher it will shine. threadripper comes out in a few days and the performance feedback is already exciting.i have no use for more than 16 threads but i think developers will start taking notice to all the cores for future developement .

I need to try some faster ram and probably another 16GB ! Is there a performance difference between 16GB vs 32GB ? I disable SMT today and had a nice little boost in FPS !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

On 8/6/2017 at 11:46 PM, Patriot3810 said:

Can you please post all your graphic xp11 settings and your nvidia 3d settings please. I am not getting anywhere near my 6600k performance currently. Its stuttering like crazy and fps is 25 on ground at heavier airports and 45-50 max in air. mind you my ram isnt at 3200 (its at 2933) i will buy some gskill flare ram but honestly we arent even in the same ball park right now compared to the intels. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I can now say ryzen 1700x is running at least on par w my 6600k @ 4.5ghz maybe just a bit slower in certain situations but within 5% Id say.  I upgraded my Ram to the ryzen certified gskill flare 3200 14CL and its blazing fast now at stock cpu clock of 3.5ghz. I should have bought the certified ram from the start, it would have saved my 4 days of tweaking my old ram which the system just didnt like to run over 2667, even though they were 3200 sticks.  I will try to now overclock to 4 ghz but my AIO cooler isnt that great (cooler master 120) . Very encouraging results so far with the 3200 ram at stock clocks! 

i made this real short video with ortho xp at zoom level 16-17 with my 1800x downclocked to 3.9 ghz and ram downclocked to 2933, for folks that might buy the 1700 or 1700x and can only get 3.8-3.9 ghz, with 32 gb of ddr4 3200mhz (4 sticks). i also use process lasso, it seems to really help with x-plane 11, and i can also run p3d v4 with pmdg, and my aerosoft crj at 40-60 fps, ryzen is not a bad cpu as long as it's configured correctly. i have had a couple people on my channel saying ryzen ran terrible, but here is my link

Benchmarking a CPU in X–Plane is pretty pointless when done in rural areas. Any middle class CPU will do ok there. If you want to get right to the money, load KLAX or KLGA, and see how well it maintains 30 FPS wih maximum objects. Any 4+ Ghz i7 will do pretty good on a vanilla X–Plane install. 

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

7 hours ago, wiler said:

I can now say ryzen 1700x is running at least on par w my 6600k @ 4.5ghz maybe just a bit slower in certain situations but within 5% Id say.  I upgraded my Ram to the ryzen certified gskill flare 3200 14CL and its blazing fast now at stock cpu clock of 3.5ghz. I should have bought the certified ram from the start, it would have saved my 4 days of tweaking my old ram which the system just didnt like to run over 2667, even though they were 3200 sticks.  I will try to now overclock to 4 ghz but my AIO cooler isnt that great (cooler master 120) . Very encouraging results so far with the 3200 ram at stock clocks! 

I need to pick up some 3200 sticks, but it's expensive ! Are you using 16 or 32GB ? And if you are using 32GB is really needed ?

Eric Escobar

Is 32GB really needed ? What happens if you only use 16GB ? Do you loose some fps ?

Eric Escobar

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Benchmarking a CPU in X–Plane is pretty pointless when done in rural areas. Any middle class CPU will do ok there. If you want to get right to the money, load KLAX or KLGA, and see how well it maintains 30 FPS wih maximum objects. Any 4+ Ghz i7 will do pretty good on a vanilla X–Plane install. 

What resolution ?

Eric Escobar

10 hours ago, Colonel X said:

I did most of my testing rnwy 7 KLAX misterx and flying around the greater LA downtown area with ortho tiles of 18/19zl.  Running 4K on a 43 inch screen @ 30-35FPS on ground/ 40-60 in air. All sliders to right except reflections off and MY 1080ti melts at 8x antialiasing so its on 4x. Believe me its on par with the old 6600k at 4.5ghz which is no joke of a chip. Ryzen hugely benefits from fast (3200+) low latency (CL14)ram which I just dropped into the system. I have to say its running very smooth, almost no microstutters, only a few on take off. 

Im very pleased so far with the performance of this sytem w the 3200 Ram, prior to that I wasnt very pleased. I wont say the ryzen will perform better than a 7700K @ 5ghz, but I can almost bet its in the ball park(within 5-10% FPS). What I can says is the capability to multitask while having xp running at these high settings is really good. Making orthos which was very cpu intensive on my 6600k doesnt even put a dent in this chip, adds maybe 3-4C temps.  I also have other programs open for charts graphs, browser windows, etc.

If you are looking at going to a new system I would really consider Ryzen, you may drops a few FPS compared to the 7700k but the ability to multitask will be way better. Also, dont forget AM4 will be around for 3 more years, ryzen 2 chips will come next year and probably have higher clocks (4.5-5ghz) and hopefully IPC increases. Vulkan is coming in 9-12 months on XP and will most likely allow ryzen to hit all the cores even harder. The future is bright on the AMD Ryzen side and they are competing with intel which became very complacent over the last 2-3 gens of their chips. This is great news for all of us, weather you decide to stick w intel or go with AMD. 

5 hours ago, strider1 said:

What resolution ?

As long as your GPU frametime is lower than your CPU frametime, it doesn't really matter when benchmarking the CPU. If you have a weak GPU, try testing at 1024x768 - the results for the CPU will still be valid (for theoretically any res. as long as your GPU can handle that). It really doesn't make sense to mix the two up. Optimize for CPU load (scenery, shadows, reflections, traffic), then, after your done with that, load up your GPU (visual effects, resolution, AA, weather).

• Upvote 1

-

27 minutes ago, wiler said:

I did all testing rnwy 7 KLAX misterx. 30-35FPS all sliders to right except reflections off and MY 1080ti melts at 8x antialiasing so its on 4x. Believe me its on par with the old 6600k at 4.5ghz which is no joke of a chip. Ryzen hugely benefits from fast (3200+) low latency (CL14)ram which I just dropped into the system. 

As stated before, try keeping the GPU out if the equation when benchmarking the CPU. And at KLAX, take of 07L in the Cessna and fly towards downtown L.A. - simply standing on the apron and panning around is not a stress test. For me, the real test is flying an ILS approach on 25R using the ZIBO at daytime.

-

5 hours ago, strider1 said:

I need to pick up some 3200 sticks, but it's expensive ! Are you using 16 or 32GB ? And if you are using 32GB is really needed ?

Im using 16gb gskill flarex 3200/CL14 sticks. I paid $230 but I live in the EU so VAT is about 25-30%, in the USA should be about 200 or less. I had 32gb 3200 ripjawsV ram that I bought a few monthas ago, unfortunetly they are using hynix chips which dont work great w ryzen and so I could only get stable at 2667 w those, not terrible, but the difference in overall system speed between 2667 and 3200 , is roughly 10-15% just from faster ram. if you OC to 3.8-40 ghz you have a very fast system.....

2 hours ago, Colonel X said:

As stated before, try keeping the GPU out if the equation when benchmarking the CPU. And at KLAX, take of 07L in the Cessna and fly towards downtown L.A. - simply standing on the apron and panning around is not a stress test. For me, the real test is flying an ILS approach on 25R using the ZIBO at daytime.

I took off in zibo 737 7R mr x and flew hdg 070 left turn over downtown 35-50fps smooth.  Its the real deal trust me. Xp is using 2 cores mainly but all 16 threads are working.