Sign in to follow this  
Guest Yak Yak

IR4 Review.

Im extremely interested in this product. However I suffer from a problem that a few others do as well. Certain kinds of video games give me motion sickness. For the most part, these are First Person Shooters where the angles and the action are too fast for me. Makes me "car sick" almost instantly. Flight sim doesnt do this. No idea why...and real flying (either general aviation or commercial) doesnt do it to me either. I would love to buy IR4. However, I will not turn my beloved FS9 into another bout of motion distress. Can you advise on this? Has the mfg tested the tool in this regard? And if not...can I do the beta testing!?!?!? (I promise if I throw up...Im sending the equipment back.) :-)Eric Joiner

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest phil

Eric, Like you I'm interested, but have suffered similar symptoms with some racing sims. NaturalPoint do have a 30day money back offer if purchased directy from them, so you'd only be taking a risk with the shipping costs. Unfortunately for me, the 2 way shipping costs would be more than the IR4 unit and software.phil

Hi Eric,I suffer the same problem with certain computer animated motion... the computer animated roller coaster ride they used to play at the movie theatre before the movie started would really get me going as well as certain first person shooters. I know it has to do with the perspective and to a certain extent how unnaturally smooth the rotation is. When I first got this to review this was one of my concerns especially since the web camera based unit had caused tension headaches and I couldn't use it for more than 10 or 15 minutes. I did notice a little tightness in my upper neck muscles the first few times I used the TrackIR4 unit... I am sure it was my body getting used to a new form of controlling visual movement. After that no further problems, never any motion sickness or even a headache and I've taken some flights well over an hour.I would suggest you order it direct from Naturalpoint so they can offer the guarantee. You will know the first two or three days having it whether you will be able to use it or not. I know I'm not giving mine back :)

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest allcott

I'm using TrackIR 3 and have no problems, depsite being extremely susceptible to induced motion sickness caused, my doctor tells me, by my brain being confused between what my eyes are seeing and what my ears are experiencing. I think it's precisely because I do fly in the RW.It's worth mentioning the responses in TrackIR are completely customisable and so you can always lessen or increase the effects to suit yourself - the one that causes the problem for me is rolling so I just use the default flight profile rather than the Flight Sim one - the rolling action of the head is translated as lateral movement left-right. However, my uncle prefers to actually have the rolling action as he prefers to keep his eyeline as near level as possible. I'm sure it's a matter of a few minutes to discover what it is that is causing the queasiness and dial it out!Allcott

Its not motion sickness for me. Its the idea that I all my head movement (even the subsconsious ones) gets translated into screen movement did not do it for me. However, most and I mean most folks who use it seem to like it very much.I would suggest trying it for your self first...if that is possible.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

As with anything else - there are going to be small percentages of people who suffer from vertigo and disorientation with IR. Thing is - it's got such a h*** of a reputation, and I have wanted to get one for a l o o n g time: Zane's review totally sold me, so I'll take my chances. As of last night they have my money, and so now I'm looking forward to even more immersion - if that's possible. (I guess FS ten will put us over the top).pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Does anyone know if you can use this in either windowed mode or full screen or both? i.e. any limitations re: the graphics mode?

Hi Geoffrey,With a little gum I could stick the reflector unit on your head!!! ;). A tight hat will do that for me also, I just leave it loose. I could have come up with all kinds of excuses before getting this but after using it... I'm a believer. With a good VC this is the closest to a full simulator you're gonna get with a PC.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Works in windowed and full screen mode, you just have to be in the VC.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Works in windowed and full screen mode, you just have to be in the VC.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888