Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Best way to watch replay of your takeoff/landings in P3D v4?

Is there a way to do this with aftermarket planes like PMDG? I've seen plenty of videos on youtube of people making nice cinematics of their takeoff and landing with PMDG planes and it looks nice. I know the replay system in P3D is not that great and you will miss some plane effects and stuff, but how is it being done in these videos? I would like to know the technique. Because I love watching my takeoff and landing.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You can always do the instant replay in the Analysis menu and right click the screen and select nearest airport, it's how I do it.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

I will give that a try. I really hope ChasePlane will add a camera feature soon. I have requested it and they say its in their todo list.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Make a copy of your current cameras.cfg. Open your current cameras.cfg and look for [CameraDefinition.009]. That's the totally useless default 'Facilities Runway' view. You can easily change that into the dreamed  aircraft spotter spot directly along the runway or anywhere else if you want to. You can setup as much cameras like this as there are runways at any airport.

Choose any 'Runway' from the Views menu and you'll be transported to the vicinity of that runway. With the common Ctrl/Shift/Enter/Back keys combination you can walk/run to your favourite spot along that runway. Takes a little practise. Best to do it during Replay of your landing or take-off. 

All you have to do is delete the default [CameraDefinition.009] listing and replace it with the one here beneath. Works with FSX and any P3D version. 

[CameraDefinition.009]
Title = Facilities Runway
Guid = {607C4520-CA6F-4135-AE10-8BF28838068F}
Description = This is the description of the runway view.
Origin = Fixed
InstancedBased = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
TargetCategory = Container
Track = Track
ShowAxis = Yes
AllowZoom = Yes
InitialZoom = 1.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
Transition = No
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Runway
CycleHideRadius = 7
ClipMode = Spot
CycleHidden=Yes

I'll never start or end a flight without watching my take-off/landing this way. Often over and over again while putting the kettle on. 

Btw, you can use all available 'Runway' cameras at a certain airport to place them along your take-off/landing runway in sequence. Hit the 'A' key to cycle through them.

Good fun! :cool:

Cheers,
Jan 

Jan

Jan, is this the same feature as the Static Airport Cameras in ChasePlane? In ChasePlane it has defined camera at each airport for all the individual runways and parking terminals, gates. I wonder while in replay mode I can switch to one of these static cameras in ChasePlane and get the same results that you mentioned above. Do you also get to hear the sound of the plane as it goes by you?

You should be aware that many youtube vids are made by 'cheating a bit', for example, if an animation does not work in replay mode, you can open another view window and focus that one on the specific area of the aeroplane with the effect you want to record, in this way you can still fly from the main cockpit view, then you can crop the frame to only show the additional window view. Another trick is to run the sim at a slower speed and that makes it easy to fly from exterior views and can get around having a jerky frame rate at normal sim speed.

Don't believe everything you see on youtube was exactly like that when it was recorded, in comparison to what you see in the finished video which was uploaded. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 hours ago, captain420 said:

Jan, is this the same feature as the Static Airport Cameras in ChasePlane? In ChasePlane it has defined camera at each airport for all the individual runways and parking terminals, gates. I wonder while in replay mode I can switch to one of these static cameras in ChasePlane and get the same results that you mentioned above. Do you also get to hear the sound of the plane as it goes by you?

Well, i sure did hope so, Aaron, so i bought it but couldn't get along with this program very much. Although i have a 30" monitor i don't like menu windows cluttering up the view in the first place. I certainly saw some nice external view options (perfectly happy with default VC views) but i tried to establish the kind of runway views as described above but didn't succeed. I happily went back to my custom 'Runway Facilities' cameras. It's free too and no messing about with menus. 

Mind you, certainly other peoples' mileage may vary regarding ChasePlane but it's just not my cup of tea ( the only camera program i really loved was 'Active Camera' by Anticyclone. F.i. during replay of your approach/landing, while in the VC, you could simply click a point along the runway and miraculously be transported there! Great pity they gave up on it with FSX..) 

A while ago i thought i'd check to see how easy/difficult it would be to create a video with FSX and make it available in the net. Proved quite easy indeed once you know how...  :cool:

The first part shows what taxi/take-off views you can get by using the altered cameras.cfg ( using 2 cameras with the external take-off part here) :   http://dai.ly/x24ehcc

Here's another take-off :  http://dai.ly/x22xk3f

And a landing (but without sound because this happend to be my very first go at a video ;-) :  http://dai.ly/x22q0cb

Cheers,

Jan

Jan